phobia of traveling - Traveling with a Health Condition - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

phobia of traveling

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Hilly1981

Hilly1981

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 05:36 PM

Advertisement
I need help desperatly. I wont travel anywhere far for fear of my IBS coming on. Ive tried hypnotherapy and it hasnt worked. I'm missing out on alot because my friends are going to concerts and places which id love to do but cant because of this IBS. Has anyone got any ideas what I can do?ThanksNick

#2 cookies4marilyn

cookies4marilyn

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4567 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 10:55 PM

Nick, You mention hypnotherapy - did you try with the IBS Audio Program? If so there is support for you if you are having difficulties. As you are in the UK you can contact them for more help - Dont give up - there IS hope. PM me or reply to this thread if you have questions - I am happy to help and have spoken to many IBS patients who were unable to travel and now do so - :) Let me know if I can help ya! All the best to you.

#3 Siea

Siea

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 02:59 AM

Learn how your body reacts to imodium and use that.Also read the calcium thread if you havn't done so already.IBS takes time to learn. When traveling I myself watch what I eat the day before (what you stomach can handle you need to learn). I also eat an imodium the day before I travel and the day I travel.Calcium with D vitmamin and without magnesium.Then I get up atleast 4 hours before the start of the travel to give the imodium time to work. (only works for me when awake).I do avoid travelling since it is kind of stressful. But the above is how I manage when necessary.
  • Liz2017 likes this

#4 Agent Anxious

Agent Anxious

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 06:28 AM

I have a fear of traveling myself, which I had before but now is worse due to IBS. I have found a couple things that put my mind at ease. If I am traveling in the morning I wake up two hours prior to having to leave so I can make sure everything is out of my bowels. I then do not eat until after I get back or on the way home. Since the closest store and my doctor are about 45 minutes away I try to do as much as I can in the morning so that I know my bowels are empty. When spring comes I will have a 12 hour drive to go stay with my sister a few months which is going to be very trying for me. However I have started looking at where all the bathrooms and rest stops are located on the way there. This helps a little knowing how many minutes are in between each one. Another thing is making a little bathroom travel pack. You can put Imodium, regular toilet paper (I hate the kind that are found in public restrooms), extra pair of underwear just in case, wet wipes, and any other medications you may need. You can keep this in a backpack with extra clothes and water and no one would be any wiser. Just keep it in your car in case of emergencies. I would also try talking to someone about your anxiety and maybe they will be able to find a way to help you get over it. I am seeing a therapist this week and I hope to ask them how I can get over some of my anxieties. Keep trying to find something that may bring you some ease of mind and if it doesn't work keep trying. You will eventually find something that helps.
  • aliwanderlust likes this

#5 anonymous313

anonymous313

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 07:14 AM

I used to get up 2 hrs or so before I had to go out, empty my bowels, and the day was fine. Lately things haven't been going my way, and waiting until 2 hrs after wake-up time has not worked. That being said, I still usually have it in the mornings (and now early afternoon if it goes on) and that still helps.For example, this may not help a ton, but I know that if there is an event at night, as long as I am home in the morning to do my bathroom thing, and I get home in time to go to bed or be at the bathroom for the next day's routine, then I am all ok with going out.One issue I've been having is the invitation to stay at friends' houses. They offer with being warned, but it's just so embarrassing and uncomfortable, I haven't been away from home for a morning in a long time...

#6 cookies4marilyn

cookies4marilyn

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4567 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 05:15 PM

Please do consider trying hypnotherapy - this was my life prior to doing the program - I would never go anywhere, packed emergency kits, all the things you both mention - in fact - these things are all mentioned in the IBS Audio program. We have many IBS patients who can now travel, dont have to make all these arrangements, etc. There IS real hope, so many have been helped. If it didnt help at all for most people there would be tons of that shared, but most reports back are generally favorable. You can call 877-898-2539 for info and support if needed.Hope that helps a bit... take care. :)

#7 Hilly1981

Hilly1981

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 11:29 AM

Thanks everyone for replying. Theres a Bon Jovi concert coming up that my friends are going to. Its in a stadium so im thinking there will be loads of people there and there is always ques for the toilet. So ive said I wont be going. Its fear if my stomach becomes bad I dont get long to get to the toilet and if there a que id be stressing out.

#8 cookies4marilyn

cookies4marilyn

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4567 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 03:04 PM

oh, I see you are in the UK, sorry, that phone is for North America!If you are interested, check out: http://www.healthyau...s?r=VmPRrcNkand you can also ask here or on their contact page.I am so sorry you dont think you can go to the concert - I feel for ya. (My son once did a set up for sound at a huge stadium in the US for a band opening for Bon Jovi a few years back!) Have you considered trying either Imodium, Calcium or pepto-bismol tablets prior to the concert? It would be a shame to miss it, but I know I missed tons of stuff too before I did the program... Anticipatory IBS attacks - and just stressing if you will have one, causes one - been there - but there is hope.

#9 Hilly1981

Hilly1981

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:25 AM

oh, I see you are in the UK, sorry, that phone is for North America!If you are interested, check out: http://www.healthyau...s?r=VmPRrcNkand you can also ask here or on their contact page.I am so sorry you dont think you can go to the concert - I feel for ya. (My son once did a set up for sound at a huge stadium in the US for a band opening for Bon Jovi a few years back!) Have you considered trying either Imodium, Calcium or pepto-bismol tablets prior to the concert? It would be a shame to miss it, but I know I missed tons of stuff too before I did the program... Anticipatory IBS attacks - and just stressing if you will have one, causes one - been there - but there is hope.

Immodiums something I use alot but only thing with it is sometimes it works and sometimes it doest

#10 island_girl

island_girl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:49 PM

Immodiums something I use alot but only thing with it is sometimes it works and sometimes it doest

Hi Nick-I've had ibs diarrhea for several years and I have pretty much learned how to somewhat "control" my body. The night before I travel, I drink plenty of water, and eat safe foods. In the morning, i wake up 2 hours before and try to empty my bowels, by taking 2 lomotil pills (anti-diarrhea pills) and drinking coffee and doing breathing exercises and watching what I eat. . I now travel twice a month domestically, for 1-2 weeks at a time. I have a fear of traffic and going out eating, but I make sure i know where all the bathrooms are. good luck to you!

#11 anonymous313

anonymous313

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 09:52 AM

This isn't something I like to do because I have a low-weight, but if you don't consider either not eating, or eating considerably less....it isn't too great for you, but it helps for me, and you can make up for it later while near a bathroom....

#12 BQ

BQ

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14427 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 10:33 AM

Might want to use imodium for a few days before the concert with each meal. That way you could be ok by the day of the concert. You can use a whole tab or break them in half or quarters with each meal for a few days before and perhaps your BM will be much firmer by concert day. We simply cannot have you missing our Jersey Boy in concert! :D
Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

#13 IBStinks

IBStinks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 12:03 PM

I need help desperatly. I wont travel anywhere far for fear of my IBS coming on. Ive tried hypnotherapy and it hasnt worked. I'm missing out on alot because my friends are going to concerts and places which id love to do but cant because of this IBS. Has anyone got any ideas what I can do?ThanksNick

Nick,I have this too. One of the worst things for me is tailgating and college football games. There is always a line for the toilets, and they are not 4-5 deep but 40-50. It's terrifying to think that if I did get an attack, I'd have to stand in that line and not make it, then walk half a mile back to the shuttle, then ride the 20 minute shuttle. All after it's been "too late," if you know what I mean. So something that helps me get through it is something I learned from a Dale Carnegie book called Stop Worrying and Start Living. His basic premise is that we worry because we leave things open ended. We think of all the horrible things that could happen in the stadium/concert/flight. But the one thing we don't really do is come up with a plan for the worst case scenario. Carnegie says we should decide what the worst possible thing is that could happen, plan for it to happen, and start thinking of ways to improve on it. So if the worst possible situation is: Get an attack and see the huge line for the bathroom, then decide to do something. The decision that I made was that if there were a huge line and I was going to go somewhere, it was going to be in a toilet. So I decided that I'd just make my way to the front of the line and cut everyone and say, "I'm sorry, it's an emergency. I'm very sorry." What's the worst thing that can happen here? People will get pissed off at you. Will you ever see them again? Probably not. Is it better than having an accident? Absolutely. I used to have enormous fears about driving long distances because here in the South we have giant stretches where there is nothing but trees/fields for miles. What if there wasn't a bathroom? I did the "worst case scenario" again, and decided that the worst thing is having to go while in the car with someone I didn't know well enough to explain why they needed to drive 150mph. So I decided that if I had to go, I'd ask that person to pull over and I'd just have to go on the side of the road in the treeline. Is it the ideal way to go? No. Is it better than having an accident? Yes.The point is that having a plan makes you feel 200% better, so that you know there is a safety net. We get so worried and become hermits because we let our minds run wild with all the possibilities of what could go wrong. All we have to do is come up with a worst case scenario and plan for it to happen so we have a solution. Then you'll feel better. So much of our problem is psychological. Humans are wonderfully made, and we are a dangerous mix of instincts, hormones, and reason. We can outsmart our instincts with our ability to reason, but that's only if we have a method, and Dale Carnegie's method works well for me. Hope this helps. I know exactly how you feel.IBStinks

#14 Trudyg

Trudyg

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 02:42 PM

I've done these things--gone beside the car on the side of the road, butted in line ahead of many people waiting (now impatioently). Guess waht? They don't want me to #### myself, either. If I say I've got D, I really need to butt in line, they are glad to let you go. People are generally nice. Those who are not are just not. Thank them profusely after. I always looked for a cornfield, nice tall corn, or cotton. Watch out for snakes. The city was worse, may not allow you to use the toilet. Always carry a tissue in your pocket. And be careful where you plant your feet, aim your butt downhill!

#15 anonymous313

anonymous313

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:46 AM

I've done these things--gone beside the car on the side of the road, butted in line ahead of many people waiting (now impatioently). Guess waht? They don't want me to #### myself, either. If I say I've got D, I really need to butt in line, they are glad to let you go. People are generally nice. Those who are not are just not. Thank them profusely after. I always looked for a cornfield, nice tall corn, or cotton. Watch out for snakes. The city was worse, may not allow you to use the toilet. Always carry a tissue in your pocket. And be careful where you plant your feet, aim your butt downhill!

Haha yeah the rural areas might be a lot easier, I remember I had a few issues that left me surrounded by city for miles.... :(But then again some random stores have bathrooms that work :)

#16 Loves Apples

Loves Apples

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:27 PM

I wish I lived in a rural area. I used to and it was so much easier to deal with IBS because you could always just pull over. The only thing about that is if anyone drives by you know just about everyone in town. LOL. But now I live in the city, and finding a "public" restroom can be difficult, and you always have to get a key, and it's usually just one stall, and you usually have to wait. Urgh! But, I find that as long as I have my car, I'm golden. I don't carpool and that's just the way it is. My friends are all used to it, and I carry a plastic bag and TP in my car. Worst case scenario: I pull over an poop in a bag! LOL. But, now I am having car trouble which is giving me anxiety all over again!!! What if I get stranded? So I took the bus today and it was major anxiety, but I lived!!!

#17 Queensgirl52

Queensgirl52

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:08 PM

Definitely try Imodium; one with each meal works well for me. If you're a coffee drinker, cut out the coffee. I didn't want to think that coffee was one of my problem foods, but I've learned since cutting it out three weeks ago that it is. I don't have problems with tea a couple of times a day. I've also found that if my mind is occupied with something pleasant (a concert, for example), I don't need the bathroom. Good luck!

#18 Cogna

Cogna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:34 PM

Wow, what a vacant but important topic. I've been "travel-phobic" for a very long time and it only gets worse over time.I just wanted to leave my confession here. I'm a lifelong 'patient' now 59 yo with a lifelong wife, three children, 6 grandchildren, and a lot to look forward to somewhat darkened by the cloud of this awful disease.Everytime I travel [with a few exceptions] I get really ill symptomatically, and it affects those around me which silences me for the most part. I quit trying to explain, and some think I just don't want to socialize with them. Sad but what is the solution?

#19 ChrissyB226

ChrissyB226

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:48 AM

I go through the same thing. Matter of fact, this coming Saturday I'm going to PA for my friend's baby and while she's only an hour and 50 mins away, I'm panicking about it. I can't take long trips. Mornings are the hardest for me. Even waking up 2 hours beforehand isn't helping as much as it used to. I have IBS-A so it alternates between constipation and diarrhea and I have excessive gas. It's a very uncomfortable situation and I truly hate it. I know your pain.

#20 JudyVan

JudyVan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 02:47 PM

I am going to Europe by plane from US next week.  Worried about runny diarrhea with only a few minutes warning. On a cruise ship for two weeks, which doesn't worry me at all--plenty of bathrooms.  But bus excursions to sight see do worry me and the plane trip.  I already take Imodium.

My real question is:   there are a bunch of brands of adult diapers. Does anyone have a brand to suggest that is good at holding liquid diarrhea?

Judy

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here