Travelling with IBS - Traveling with a Health Condition - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Travelling with IBS

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 smiles through it

smiles through it

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 06 April 2011 - 01:08 PM

Advertisement
Hi everyone :)Well i guess my nickname says it all, im newly "diagnosed" if thats the right term having gone through the dreaded colonscopy, endoscopy, wireless endoscopy etc etc. Man I had sooo much fun with those bowel preps ! and then getting described as being "topped and tailed" did make me chuckle when my gastroentorologist advised the guys in the theater what theyd be doing to me. Anyway i digress, im the kinda guy who likes and enjoys life !! crapping through the eye of a needle doesnt sound like much fun (and believe me it isnt) however i kinda like to look on the bright side of things (and that aint the Citalopram talking !!! )Please dont let me scare you !! i guess im just quirky !! Anyways back to a little about me. I have IBSA a fun mixture to be sure , i think ive had it for a while actually as well as low b-12 and a couple of other things that go with it. I work internationally, so am always in the air mostly in the middle east and have got lots of fun stories to share about airport security, xray machines and the rest of it. I have faceal incontinence as one of my wonderful symptoms and am virtually always in "happy pants" as my beautiful loving and wonderfully caring wife refers to them. Thats how i guess i choose to manage it mostly as diet control is pretty much out the window in scary places like this ! nevertheless i keep a smile on my face, difficult when doubled over with cramps and farting like a world champ. I choose not to "suffer" as many undoubtedly do (and have all my sympathies and hugs by the way). I choose to battle on regardless and fart in the face of adversity. Inspirational I know.Back to the topic then !! at last !!I was wondering how people here cope with international travel, eating and living in foreign often not so savory countries whilst dealing with this wonderful disease god blessed us with. If anyone has the time a lonely young soul sitting in Iraq many miles from home in the UK would love to hear hes not alone :)

#2 Aurametrix

Aurametrix

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:56 PM

Unscented baby wipes top the lists of " items most wanted by the troops". There are probably many people suffering in silence. Travel with IBS is a challenge, indeed - even if it is a short distance travel as the attack can happen while driving. Flying and being confined to a seat for hours is a very difficult part of International travel. Mapping out the toilets is tiresome. Yet, it is possible to predict flareups - although sufferers usually learn how only after 5-10 years of experience with IBS. Stay strong! We are here with you!

Connect the dots between your actions and reactions

#3 Jeffrey Roberts

Jeffrey Roberts

Member #1 Founder

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7295 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:05 PM

Welcome smiles through it :)I'm going to move this discussion to the Traveling with a Health Condition forum and leave a link here in the main general forum.Jeff

#4 smiles through it

smiles through it

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 07 April 2011 - 11:02 PM

Thanks Auramatrix :) those new xray machines in the airport are kinda interesting as well !! I was selected for "random" xray testing a few weeks ago whilst in Canada with my wife snowboarding. I was having one of those "delicate" days as well and was wearing protection for the plane journey as it was one of those tiny little twin propellor planes.It was also 2 days after id had one of those capsule endoscopies and the little metal camera thing was still somewhere inside me :blink: so i was a bit nervous.In hindsight i mustve looked like a suspicious person, kinda hot and sweaty, looking around nervously with a piece of metal floating around in my intestines a funny bulge on my bottom !So anyway i have to walk into this machine and put my arms up and there was the BIGGEST security guard standing on the other side.The doors on the capsule close, and it whizzes round and im asked to step out by this guard.For anyone that hasnt had one yet the xray zips off to another room whereby a naked (yes i said naked) picture of you is produced. They then phone down to the guard and say yes or no.Well guess what ?There were two "zones" identified on me as "suspicious". I nearly died !!luckily my wife came through a few seconds later. At which point the security guard was prodding my stomach with his finger as i was trying to explain the bullet shaped piece of metal on the scanner was in fact a CAMERA !! and that i was wearing protection.Produced my diagnosis and endoscopy paperwork from her purse and talked to the guard about the results.I dont know why he was prodding me , perhaps he was thinking a compact camera was going to drop out of my backside :)Anyways the moral of this story is always bring your wife and failing that. xray machines show up underwear and cameras so save yourself some hassle and photocopy something which explains your condition.I dont blame the guard in retrospect he was just doing his job :)keep smiling people x

#5 cw_2009

cw_2009

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:40 AM

So sorry to read this, glad it all worked out ok in the end.. How do you cope on the plane??

Thanks Auramatrix :) those new xray machines in the airport are kinda interesting as well !! I was selected for "random" xray testing a few weeks ago whilst in Canada with my wife snowboarding. I was having one of those "delicate" days as well and was wearing protection for the plane journey as it was one of those tiny little twin propellor planes.It was also 2 days after id had one of those capsule endoscopies and the little metal camera thing was still somewhere inside me :blink: so i was a bit nervous.In hindsight i mustve looked like a suspicious person, kinda hot and sweaty, looking around nervously with a piece of metal floating around in my intestines a funny bulge on my bottom !So anyway i have to walk into this machine and put my arms up and there was the BIGGEST security guard standing on the other side.The doors on the capsule close, and it whizzes round and im asked to step out by this guard.For anyone that hasnt had one yet the xray zips off to another room whereby a naked (yes i said naked) picture of you is produced. They then phone down to the guard and say yes or no.Well guess what ?There were two "zones" identified on me as "suspicious". I nearly died !!luckily my wife came through a few seconds later. At which point the security guard was prodding my stomach with his finger as i was trying to explain the bullet shaped piece of metal on the scanner was in fact a CAMERA !! and that i was wearing protection.Produced my diagnosis and endoscopy paperwork from her purse and talked to the guard about the results.I dont know why he was prodding me , perhaps he was thinking a compact camera was going to drop out of my backside :)Anyways the moral of this story is always bring your wife and failing that. xray machines show up underwear and cameras so save yourself some hassle and photocopy something which explains your condition.I dont blame the guard in retrospect he was just doing his job :)keep smiling people x

CW_2009

#6 smiles through it

smiles through it

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 17 April 2011 - 12:55 PM

Hi CW thanks :) It was kind of embarrassing and pretty stressful which tends to set me off. However it was a fairly short flight so I was ok thank god. The small planes are just the worst though, you feel like everyone is watching you as you get on and theres the usual paranoia about having to wear a nappy. My wife calmed me down pretty quickly though, she seems to know all the right things to say to me when things get kind of upsetting.To be honest I travel a great deal with work and am incredibly fortunate enough to travel in business class so in those cases its easy to just hide away in the window seat and just pray I either dont have an attack or reach the toilet in time. I have had a few occurrences when there are queues etc at the bathrooms but overall the people on the plane are usually thankfully oblivious to the situation .Its a nasty little disease to be sure but i try and make things as comfortable for myself as possible, i find the protection oddly reassuring and i cant remember the amount of times ive counted my blessing for wearing them regardless of the so called taboo. I have tried different drugs, but have now been prescribed citalopram which has helped a great deal with the cramping and anxiety unfortunately it does tend to numb my warning sign (stomach pains) which unfortunately results in the odd accident :(However i try to look on the bright side and take comfort in the fact that I havent really got too many options at 30,000 feet and the reality is much better than the messy alternative :
  • shejests likes this

#7 smiles through it

smiles through it

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:53 AM

Well i thought id update everyone on my travels and more fun along the way, not so much a tale of woe more a tale of optimism I guess.Its now Tuesday afternoon in my office out here in Kuwait and sitting at my desk for the first time in two weeks i actually have a few minutes to blog. Ive been travelling again on business and have visited 6 countries now in 2 weeks !! phew !!most of it was pretty uneventful except for my stop in Los Angeles last week.Well my wife and I turned up at LAX only to be told our flight was delayed for 6 hours back to the UK !!!! panic panic panicOn top of this rather than being assigned a normal person seat we'd been put on JUMP SEATS (my wife works for BA so we are eligible if there are no other seats). At this point im a nervous wreck wandering if the diapers I was wearing for the flight would be able to hold out long enough should I have an accident. Indeed wondering if I had enough spares should this set me off !!It might not sound too scary at this point, i mean everyone deals with delays at the airport right ? however anyone whos ever tried a jump seat before will know that a 10 hour flight sat bolt upright facing another passenger is uncomfortable to begin with. Factor into that my tendency to have accidents, the fear of the smell and also the fact that they might wonder about the unsightly bulges my protection causes is enough to worry the heck out of even the most seasoned traveller. Nevertheless I needed to get back and after some deep breathes decided to take what was on offer.As it happens the flight turned out to be pretty uneventful, uncomfortable but thank god my bowels for once played ball and behaved themselves. We got to terminal 5 at heathrow and managed to get stuck in a lift for 45 minutes !!! frenzied pressing of the emergency button eventually rectified the situation but not before i felt the all familiar cramps. At this point I played that game we all play in company, smile, try and find a bathroom and make a vociferous attempt not to #### myself in enclosed spaces !!I eventually lost that battle on the way through passport control , and once in the baggage hall quickly skipped off for a quick change.The day got no better after waiting for another hour it turns out our luggage, all my supplies , pills everything had been left in Los Angeles and were en route to arrive 4 hours later.At this point im wondering what the hell id done to piss someone off so badly to deserve THIS.After sleeping on the floor for a few hours (we were both exhausted from the trip) our luggage finally arrived including the ruck sack with my extra nappies, and also some soiled ones (reusables) hermetically sealed in a plastic bag inside.At that point it was time for us to catch our connecting flight to Kuwait only with a more limited baggage allowance I had to take the rucksack (with the dirty nappies in) on as hand luggage. BIG MISTAKE !!!as we went through security the bag was xrayed and prompted a "random" search. I nearly died, however the security guy was a total professional. Seeing I was uncomfortable he asked me if I had anything embarrassing or if id like to go to a private room for the bag search. I told him yes and we proceeded to go to the side room with another witness just in case. He then proceeded to empty out the contents of the bag and sift through it.I was amazed at what a consumate professional he was, I explained my condition and the trip id just been on and how id come to be carrying soiled nappies in my rucksack and he totally sympathised with me. He was absolutely amazing if im honest, and it really took me by surprise. I dont know how i wouldve reacted in his situation but i took the opportunity to thank him for his discretion and professionalism. After the search was complete I was allowed to go on my merry way.I guess the morale of this story (if there is one) is that the security guards, all of them that I have seen are totally unfazed by the whole thing and treated me with respect and dignity. So if you ever find yourself in the same position, try not to worry to much. Youve not done anything wrong ! and when your in the hands of the professionals I met trust me youll be fine.However... if you can possibly help it ... dont fly in a jump seat, and for the love of god dont take your soiled nappies on as hand baggage !!!!! even if theyre bomb proof anti smell nuclear isolated, youre just asking for it !!!Keep smiling everyone:) through it

#8 smiles through it

smiles through it

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:36 AM

Hi everyone thought id write something after a little while away .Couple of interesting turns of affair during my recent travels . Firstly I had my wisdom teeth out !!! YAY secondly my original gastroentorologist got STRUCK OFF !!! :o.Well ill deal with the first topic first I guess which believe it or not led to the second revelation (obviously no names will be used)So during my time out here in the sandpit (Kuwait) ive been having some other problems which have thankfully kept me occupied more than my IBS. Namely my wisdom teeth !! I had one taken out by a dentist here, fully awake and with little or no anaesthetic !! and decided the other three would be done by a private doctor in the UK.Of course this brings into play all of those irrational thoughts again and inevitable stress. "what happens if my stomach is bad while im in hospital" etc etc. I know it sound ridiculous and theyve seen much worse much more often but hey i guess i didnt want to embarass myself.Well anyway the best action was honesty (as it always is) and fortunately this led to the second revelation. Back in the uk our part of the world is actually very small :) it turned out that my surgeon also knew my gastroentorologist and indeed also had bouts of IBS !!! He totally understood what I was going through and made appropriate arrangements for my post op care. But not before telling me that during my absence in Kuwait, the guy who originally diagnosed me had been struck off.Of course this leads me to all kinds of questions !Why was he struck off ?Could he have got my diagnosis wrong ?Where do I go from here now that the guy I often liaise with about my condition is no longer there ?? I mean i pretty much shared some of my most undignified moments with this person, thankfully had a sympathetic and understanding ear and now I have to start all over again ?Well it would seem at this point all of my questions are just that. Questions.And being stuck out here in the desert again isnt helping.My long suffering wife has made an appointment to see my GP in September when I return (i should mention that my gastro was also private) but to be honest im really not sure what to tell him as i dont want to go through all those procedures again .Anyways im interested in thoughts if anyone has them.kinda not sure what to do.RegardsTrying to :) through it

#9 Michealleo

Michealleo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:18 PM

yes i know it's really a big challange for IBS patients for traveling out with IBS if their symptoms are worsing at that moment . well for controling inflammation i try to drink ginger tea with some honey and tummeric in it .spokane county health

#10 smiles through it

smiles through it

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 04 August 2011 - 04:36 AM

Thanks for the tip !! i must confess i have tried a lot of pills and potions over the short time ive had this disease everything from immodium to eye of newt :) sometimes things work short term other times they seem to make me worse. Regardless we must persevere and keep trying to put one step in front of the other.My doctor has just prescribed amytriptoline (probably spelt that wrong) and its one of those pills which unfortunately for me has fallen into "works for a short time" class. I already take citalopram in the morning and he gave me a course of these bad boys to take in the afternoon to help me get through the night. They're another form of anti depressant (id hasten to add im not depressed) and i was suprised when i read the little leaflet to find out theyre also used for treating bed wetting. Cant be bad i thought, so i started the course.At first i found i woke up with a massive hangover the next morning ! totally disappointed as i havent drunk for ages because of this !This slowly subsided and i actually began to start feeling a little better. No more cramps at night waking me up at funny times and then being able to get back to sleep. I think i had about two weeks of blissful relaxation which was just heaven :DAnd then i started waking up again :( but covered in sweat and baking hot even through the room is airconditioned. I shrugged it off as a glitch and pressed on.Then it happened again , and again then it was every night :( not knowing the cause and surmising that the only real thing that had changed was in fact the medication I decided to take myself off it to try and determine by elimination what was causing the symptoms.Now its 3 weeks on im off the amitriptoline and its still happening !!! im hoping that the meds are still in my system and just take a while to wear off but i could really do with a nights sleep :)Anyways im going to book in to see my doctor when i get back to see what else is available im hoping im not going to be out here for too much longer and i can get back to some sort of routine at home that will help.Thanks to all you guys who have viewed and read my ramblings by the way. It helps to know there are people out there who may learn from some of my experiences, as misdirected as some of them may be sometimes..stay happy people :) through it

#11 chicken-licken

chicken-licken

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:00 AM

Hi, I am quite new to this travelling business too and im not handling it very well!!!I hope you are feeling a bit better now 'smiles through it', I have to say your posts have lifted my spirits a bit!I just wanted to know if anyone had any ideas of what I can do. Ive had IBS for a few years, but recently I have had a lot of trouble with D when I need to travel! I have to do it occasionally for work, and Im finding it really difficult. For example today, it started before I left but I thought it might be ok after a few immodiums. But no, I got 30 miles down the road in the car and I couldnt take it anymore, and after stopping for the loo I had to tell my colleagues that I couldnt go any further, leaving me to get a taxi and the train back home again, while they went off to the event which I was looking forward to! (and i left my mobile in the car...not making for a good day!!!). It has been one of the worst episodes too :(All this had made me very anxious though as I need to get a flight next week - its only a short one but i am soooo nervous, which i know will trigger it and make it worse. Im not sure what to do as the immodium didnt seem to work today! I know I dont have it anywhere near as bad as some others on here, but as I'm quite new to all this it seems so daunting!!! I seem to be ok when im going places I know, its just new places, staying overnight and eating out. I just want to go out and have fun like a normal person!!!anyway sorry for the rant, just getting to me a bit!

#12 smiles through it

smiles through it

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 11 August 2011 - 12:01 PM

Hi, I am quite new to this travelling business too and im not handling it very well!!!I hope you are feeling a bit better now 'smiles through it', I have to say your posts have lifted my spirits a bit!I just wanted to know if anyone had any ideas of what I can do. Ive had IBS for a few years, but recently I have had a lot of trouble with D when I need to travel! I have to do it occasionally for work, and Im finding it really difficult. For example today, it started before I left but I thought it might be ok after a few immodiums. But no, I got 30 miles down the road in the car and I couldnt take it anymore, and after stopping for the loo I had to tell my colleagues that I couldnt go any further, leaving me to get a taxi and the train back home again, while they went off to the event which I was looking forward to! (and i left my mobile in the car...not making for a good day!!!). It has been one of the worst episodes too :(All this had made me very anxious though as I need to get a flight next week - its only a short one but i am soooo nervous, which i know will trigger it and make it worse. Im not sure what to do as the immodium didnt seem to work today! I know I dont have it anywhere near as bad as some others on here, but as I'm quite new to all this it seems so daunting!!! I seem to be ok when im going places I know, its just new places, staying overnight and eating out. I just want to go out and have fun like a normal 20 yr old!!!anyway sorry for the rant, just getting to me a bit!

Hey chicken-licken (man some of the names on here crack me up !!!) kinda makes me hungry :)Anyways im totally with you fun does seem elusive in this situation sometimes (he says sitting in the desert ) i guess we have a common enemy in travel and stress by the sounds of it. My doctor has given me Lomotil and as youve probably read above citalopram to help deal with the stress side of it. Lomotil tends to firm things up for me and the citalopram helps with the stress but to be honest trying to get into the right state of mind to travel is one of my biggest tips.Plan everything out , get your bag packed a day before or two so you dont have to worry about it . Make sure your passport is somewhere youll never forget it (i put mine in the shoes im going to wear that day) so i cant forget it. Again as youve probably read above with much whimsicality i also wear "protection" "briefs" or whatever you want to call them . My wife calls them "happy pants" :) and no matter how embarassing it is to buy them trust me when i have them on the last fear of having an accident really goes away !Theyre not for everyone , but when all else fails in an emergency i know where id rather be. Listen, relax take your time to get used to it and youll be fine !! do whatever it is you feel you need to be comfortable and dont worry about what those around you are thinking. If theyre anything like my friends and family theyll be supportive and understanding and hey a little sympathy when youre not well makes me feel better. And special :) But i guess we already knew that didnt we :Dooo last tip , ask the lady at the check in desk for an aisle seat if your not flying business, theyre normally available and are great for that heroic dash to the loo should you require it. If theres a queue head straight for the business class toilet. If anyone stops you tell them youre ill and cant wait. Used it a million times and it ALWAYS works.Stay happy people :)helping others try and :) thought it xx

#13 chicken-licken

chicken-licken

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 11:41 AM

Thanks for the tips, i'm going to have a chat with my doc to see if i can try some of the meds you recommended. But for the flight i'm just going to have to blag it! Getting a bit nervous already which is a bad sign haha!!! (i'm laughing now but later I won't be! :/ ) Just have to distract myself with some duty-free retail therapy beforehand in the terminal I think! :)I will also try and get that aisle seat as even if dont need it (very unlikely!) it will be a weight off my mind. Though I do like looking out the window at the clouds! (not done a lot of flying so still amazes me!)

#14 smiles through it

smiles through it

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:36 AM

HELLOOOOOits been a little while since i wrote on here so i just wanted to say that im still HERE !!! out in the desert after returning from a very nice vacation back to blighty :)So whats happened in the last month and a bit ?Not a lot actually had some funny growth removed from inside of my mouth which was an interesting experience, only to be told by the doctor that did it that it now needs to be sent off to histology to be screened for cancer (gulp) but i dont think thats really ibs network worthy. Is a tad of a worry though as it seems to be taking an age to come back (three weeks they said) !!!!IBS wise not much different to be honest im coping and still making light of my situation , my tummy seems to be a little more settled at the moment so thank god for a little peace and quiet. Still have the odd accident though which is rather disconcerting but as those of you who have read up on this thread/blog will know i normally have those pretty well covered with my protection, and to be honest that really helps with my peace of mind and i think to a certain extent helps.I came off the night time drugs after speaking with my doctor about the night sweats, had a raft of new blood tests which all came back clean so its still a bit of a mystery. He couldn't really explain it I guess so i just took myself off the amytriptoline at night , unfortunately although the frequency did drop which is good, i still get them from time to time, which is not so good. However at least im off one of these drugs now which makes me feel a little better about the whole situation.Still wearing the "happy pants" which if im honest arnt too comfortable during the summer, especially running around trying to get things done, but nevertheless id rather have them on than have them off and theres always time in the evenings for "airing out". Just dont try cooking anything that splatters , again from my experience when you're sizzling bacon it hurts .. duh !!! :)I did also have my check up when i was at the doctors which came back encouraging, it seems sometimes when your feeling really rubbish its quite surprising that everything on paper has you down as being strong as an ox ! i guess thats just part of dealing with the paradox of being unwell yet well at the same time. Anyways just a quick update to tell you im still alive, keep your fingers crossed for my cancer results next week for me . Ill update you when i know , either way.Keep smiling people :):) though it x

#15 Tallgirl

Tallgirl

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 05:32 AM

Hi 'smiles through it'Just wanted to say your attitude is inspirational :D Came across your post when searching for results on Citalopram and you definitely made me smile.Good luck with your results this week.Best wishesTallgirl.

#16 smiles through it

smiles through it

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 23 October 2011 - 10:00 AM

Hello Tallgirl, thank-you very much ! I can be a little different i guess, but we're all dealing with this stuff in different ways. I hope that people who read about my various adventures can smile just a little and maybe relate to some of my predicaments :) Some of this stuff is impossible to make-up ! Just today my boss introduced me to the new translator, nice chap, very professional looking could almost pass for a cunning linguist. Only problem was, when i asked him to translate some arabic for me in front of said boss, he explained in his best (broken) english that he could only translate arabic to arabic and hardly spoke a word of English !!!!! I had to make a quick exit to prevent any accidents I was laughing so hard !! but hell if anything did happen it would've been totally worth it !!!! Best of luck with the Citalopram, i dont take major doses of the stuff but it definitely slows things down for me, and because of my b-12 deficiency its started to help redress the in-balance so to speak. And with the brain-gut axis being so important with this horrid condition you should at least see some benefit from taking it . Give it time though, youll get some funky side effects to begin with. Dry mouth was mine, swiftly alleviated with a drink of water !! LOL if only the rest could be sorted that easily !I appreciate your note.Regards:) through it

#17 smiles through it

smiles through it

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:41 AM

Well happy Monday to everyone , in the UK good morning ! in the US good evening !Thought id post an update on my cancer screening from the sandbox out here in Kuwait.STILL NO NEWS !!! but im expecting something back today, hopefully, fingers crossed.Im finding the whole experience rather interesting to be honest. My IBS has flared up, probably because of the stress of not knowing. I wanna just shake myself , and give myself a gentle slap and just say GET A GRIP !!! but what ive noticed is that it really is a different kind of stress.I didnt sleep a wink last night , i dont feel particularly worried just distracted i guess. For those that dont know, im on my own out here, family and friends are back in the UK so i guess there may be an element of cabin fever ? I find myself thinking about them worrying about me, which when i was originally posted out here is kind of a familiar feeling i guess. Odd nevertheless.I wish i was at home in the UK but then i find myself thinking i dont want a sympathy shower .But i guess by the very nature of writing this part of the thread im insinuating that i do ??Bloody hell im overthinking stuff AGAIN ! hahahahaha how ironicAnyways get this for being distracted , i actually brushed my teeth twice this morning. Why ? do i have nasty teeth now as well ?NopeForgot i brushed them in the first place !! LOL what an idiot !!Im really not after a pity party by the way :D but ya know what at least if i have something nasty like the big C at least ill have clean teeth (i hate the dentist !!) So with small wins and big losses i reckon with my backside excluded i can still see the funny side and demonstrate it with a big shiny white grin :D < seeeeeIm sure im digressing but ya know i tend to ramble so it should be no surprise by now.Fingers crossed for some news later.Keep smiling peopleAnd for those in a similar situation to me today, big hugs and remember it takes more muscles to pull a frown then it does a smile !! why not confuse everyone and give them a cheesy grin ? trust me , theyll think you're a nutcase like me !!!:) through it
  • shejests likes this

#18 Tallgirl

Tallgirl

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:02 AM

Hi.I don't know whether I am starting citalopram yet - it's just one of the things I was looking at as I'm going to see my GP on Wednesday. The IBS has made me anxious with panic attacks and agoraphobia - it drives me insane as I used to have a good job with lots of responsibilities (I was a nurse) and now half the time I just feel like a jibbering wreck :wacko: I really feel for you being away from your family at this time - it can't be easy. I really hope you get your results soon and that they are all good :) Best wishesTallgirl.

#19 smiles through it

smiles through it

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:53 AM

Hi.I don't know whether I am starting citalopram yet - it's just one of the things I was looking at as I'm going to see my GP on Wednesday. The IBS has made me anxious with panic attacks and agoraphobia - it drives me insane as I used to have a good job with lots of responsibilities (I was a nurse) and now half the time I just feel like a jibbering wreck :wacko: I really feel for you being away from your family at this time - it can't be easy. I really hope you get your results soon and that they are all good :) Best wishesTallgirl.

Im sorry youre having such a tough time hun really i am, i was pretty much the same I guess but didnt have the stamina to admit it to myself. Its difficult to sum up sometimes the effect this can have on peoples lives and certainly something that shouldn't be trivialised. The effect is real ! the pain is real ! and i guess you should always remember you're the same person you were before ! just a bit stronger because youre dealing with something thats terribly cruel to alot of peoples quality of life.I know that probably doesn't help but the way i see it is that you got that job for a reason (my step mum is a nurse by the way) and given the right help theres no reason why you cant get back to it eventually. Give yourself a break !!Citalopram can certainly help with the anxiety im on 20mg which is pretty much the lowest dose , i take it in the morning and it really helped me with the cramps and to be very honest being worried about accidents, wearing protection , the self perception of me waddling around in a great big nappy for gods sake and everyone laughing at me . The reality of course is very different and i guess it helped me put things a little more into perspective and get on with what i want to do with myself.I finally got my results by the way !Thank god it came back as Benign :) :) :) :) :)At last a little bit of luck ! Next stop THE LOTTERY :DI hope all goes well on Wednesday for you and big hugz:) through it xx

#20 Tallgirl

Tallgirl

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 01:38 PM

That's fantastic news - I'm really pleased for you :D I bet that is a huge relief for you and your family. Hopefully you will have a better sleep tonight. I know that I'm still the same person, but this has been going on for so long now it's difficult to see myself ever feeling 'normal' again. My IBS is actually a lot better than it has been since changing my diet, but the anxiety hasn't improved as it's always in the back of my mind 'what if' when I go out. If I can find something that helps to dull those feelings, then hopefully I can start getting my life back :) But as my Dad used to say "there's always someone else worse off", so I'm not doing too badly :) Best wishes Tallgirl x

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here