how do you cope with airpots/airplane travel - Traveling with a Health Condition - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

how do you cope with airpots/airplane travel

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cw_2009

cw_2009

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:00 AM

Advertisement
How do you cope travelling abroad.. travelling on the plane with access to the toilet.Taking medication on board? i.e imodium or syrup medicine. and the countries you would take the medicine to.Many thanks
CW_2009

#2 lmchibimoon

lmchibimoon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 30 May 2011 - 02:52 PM

Before going to the airport I have a soft meal and take two imodiums the night before which is usually enough for me, and one more pill in the morning before leaving home, but it depends on the person. Before getting on the plane I try to go to the restroom and relax, perhaps buying a magazine or something interesting to read during the flight. When checking up, I try to choose a sit close to a restroom and on the isle (not difficult if you are traveling on economy fare XD) and watch tv or a film to help myself relaxing. If they offer food, try to choose whatever is softer, I usually take chicken. Then, when you get to the destination, locate the closest drug store and find out if they sell imodium. This is usually sold without prescription, everywhere, so it should not be a problem, I buy some pills before traveling, just in case I can't buy them in my destination or if I don't find a close drug store.But the real issue is trying new food in a new place since you don't know the conditions of water or the types of food that are used. I really recommend that you start trying new things slowly if you know that fatty food makes you feel bad, then don't try it just because you're on vacation.

How do you cope travelling abroad.. travelling on the plane with access to the toilet.Taking medication on board? i.e imodium or syrup medicine. and the countries you would take the medicine to.Many thanks

Chibi Chibi

#3 em_t

em_t

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 03:32 PM

I would keep your Imodium and any other medication in the clear plastic bag you can carry in your hand luggage and then carry more supplies in your main luggage, if you're not just taking hand luggage. If your holiday is in the US or elsewhere in Europe you'll be able to get Imodium no problem from either a pharmacy or even some supermarkets. If you can book your seat on the plane try and get one near either of the toilets and an aisle seat. With IBS I sometimes wonder whether we are over anxious about how much we use the bathroom compared to other people - other people never notice half as much and remember lots of people can have tummy upsets when travelling so God forbid you do have to use the toilet a few times, chances are no-one will notice! I always find if I'm travelling I sometimes get rather nervous and can have quite a bad bout of diarrhoea, unusual for me as I'm IBS-C!Your safest best with regards to food whilst away would just be fairly plain food such as rice and chicken. Avoid salads, especially if the drinking water is not safe to drink as it has often been washed in it and don't take any ice in your drinks (for the same reason). Sometimes being relaxed on holiday works wonders for people's tummies and their IBS almost goes away for the duration! Fingers crossed its the same for you!All the bestEm

#4 overitnow

overitnow

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6019 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:14 PM

When I had to deal with it, I found it best to only book afternoon or evening flights, always ask for seats near the back, which are usually the seat sale ones, and request an aisle seat. If you eat light and add an anti-D med as a preventative--see BQs general advise--or perhaps use the period before your flight to experiment with Calcium, if you haven't tried that as yet, you may find yourself pleasantly surprised. It's the new underpants rule they have in the States--it seems there was an error in calibrating the mount of radiation you would get from the scanners, (why am I not surprised?)--that I find the most problematical, given the condition that mine were normally in. Anyhow, for whatever reason, by following those rules, and I never used meds of any sort, I never had difficulties with flights.Mark
My story of beating IBS and my other chronic conditions: http://www.ibsgroup....total-wellness/

#5 lacey555

lacey555

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 01:15 AM

#6 lacey555

lacey555

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 01:21 AM

My problem is chronic, frequent watery diahrrea. I have found that a water fast prior to travel is very helpful. It seems extreme, but is not difficult. For two days a water fast is healthy, not risky, and results in very little elimination. On a plane reserve a seat near the toilet, second to back row (the last row doesn't recline and I like to recline). this eliminates fear of being trapped by a food cart.After having the problem for some time, I have learned to live with it, and avoid the anxiety of not knowing how to deal with new, difficult siutations. For extra safety, I wear waterproof underwear on a plane (depends is not too thick to be weird looking, and I wear an extra Poise pad. I have NEVER had a diahrrea accident, but I am always preapred when flying. Having chronic diarrhea requires that you become an good problem solver. I'm pleased that I have learned to solve these problems. Good luck, and happy flights, to all of you who have this problem.

#7 cw_2009

cw_2009

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 04:58 PM

What is waterproof underwear... where do u get them from??

My problem is chronic, frequent watery diahrrea. I have found that a water fast prior to travel is very helpful. It seems extreme, but is not difficult. For two days a water fast is healthy, not risky, and results in very little elimination. On a plane reserve a seat near the toilet, second to back row (the last row doesn't recline and I like to recline). this eliminates fear of being trapped by a food cart.After having the problem for some time, I have learned to live with it, and avoid the anxiety of not knowing how to deal with new, difficult siutations. For extra safety, I wear waterproof underwear on a plane (depends is not too thick to be weird looking, and I wear an extra Poise pad. I have NEVER had a diahrrea accident, but I am always preapred when flying. Having chronic diarrhea requires that you become an good problem solver. I'm pleased that I have learned to solve these problems. Good luck, and happy flights, to all of you who have this problem.

CW_2009

#8 Madi M

Madi M

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:34 PM

I just got back from Mexico from reading break (I'm from Canada) and my first advice to anyone travelling especially to tropical or developing countries is watch where your water comes from!! I was really careful with only drinking bottled water, no ice but because I don't eat wheat I was still eating some fruits and vegetables. Guess what, I got E Coli which has now infected my colon, not the best for someone with IBS who already has damage there. So please when you are abroad be careful what you eat! Having a weakened bowel from IBS only makes it easier to get infections.Also in the airport I take an antispastic medication about 30 min before I flew and another just when the plane is descending (for some reason that is a really big trigger for me).

#9 Sickofthebathroom

Sickofthebathroom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:58 AM

I have a fear of needing to go #2 on a plane, especially since I dislike using the plane toilets and the tiny sinks. So what I do is take 2 Imodium or Buscopan before flying so that I don't need to worry. Unfortunately by the time we get to where we're staying, I often need to "christen" the toilet!

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here