I suffered with terrible cramping and diarrhea - Your Story - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo
- - - - -

I suffered with terrible cramping and diarrhea

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 14 January 2001 - 05:25 PM

Advertisement
For six years, I suffered with terrible cramping and diarrhea. Since I am ateacher, every day was stressful. The frequent trips to the bathroominterfered with my work and caused me a great deal of stress andembarrassment. I tried every medication available, and my doctor and Ifinally found a combination of four prescription meds that kept my "baddays" to a couple per week. It was about two years ago, while I was on thiscombination of meds, that I discovered and joined the IBS Self-Help BB underthe name of Debbie A. The IBS BB and The Meeting Place BB provided me withmuch-needed support and understanding and made living with my IBS easier.On the BB I also learned about the importance of probiotics, which I stilltake today.In the fall of 1999, I was experiencing constant severe fatigue, and my IBSseemed out of control. The fatigue and some other symptoms led my doctorsto believe that I could have MS. I went through testing and the resultswere negative, leaving my doctors baffled about the source of the fatigue.A couple of months later, in an attempt to lose weight, I happened to go ona fad diet that consisted of only meats, vegetables, and fruits for twoweeks. After three days on the diet, my IBS symptoms disappeared. A coupleof days later, I stopped taking all of my meds. At the end of the two-weekdiet, I was thrilled that the fatigue and the IBS were gone. I didn't wantto go back to my former diet, which was heavy on the sweets andcarbohydrates. For another month, I did not eat sugar, wheat, or corn.Gradually, I reintroduced wheat and corn to my diet with no ill effects.After being diarrhea-free for six weeks, I decided to try a candy bar. Iwas sick for two days. After experimenting a few more times, I found thatsugar was my trigger.For the past year, I have had only a handful of IBS incidents, all relatedto sugar consumption. I have drastically cut my sugar intake. Ioccasionally have a soda or a cookie, but if I have more than one smallserving of sweets per day, I suffer the consequences.It was not easy to cut sugar from my diet. I truly believe I was addictedto sugar as strongly as a person can be addicted to a drug. The withdrawalfrom sugar was very unpleasant, but once I had purged the sugar from mybody, I felt SO much better. The bone-weariness that I felt for months onend disappeared, as did the constant cramping and diarrhea. I no longertake any IBS medications. The only thing I take is a daily probioticcapsule and a multivitamin.I truly hope that my story will inspire at least one person to tryeliminating sugar from their diet. It made a world of difference for me.Debbie A.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here