Can't get anus clean - Page 2 - Gas / Flatulence / Bloating - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Can't get anus clean

• Please log in to reply
255 replies to this topic

#21 pikmin

pikmin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:52 AM

Hi,People mention extra fibre, but could too much fibre or the wrong type of fibre cause this ?Currently I'm suffering with this issues.if I have one bm a day,then I don't suffer much with very soft stools.when I have two per day, that's when I suffer.the first is normally formed and no leakage,it's the second which is soft and causes the leakage.I eat two prunes a day and two peaches, I find that this helps with the constipation ,and hard stools,but causes the leakage.I have just dropped down to 1.5 prunes and smaller peaches.I'm hoping that the reduced fibre will result in one bm per day,or firmer stools.Maybe more bread would help or something else ,your thoughts please.Thanks

#22 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:03 PM

Prunes and peaches also have sorbitol which holds more water in the stool than fiber does. Eating those is taking a natural osmotic laxative on top of what fiber you get from those fruits.
  • Fleet enema likes this
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#23 pikmin

pikmin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:01 PM

Prunes and peaches also have sorbitol which holds more water in the stool than fiber does. Eating those is taking a natural osmotic laxative on top of what fiber you get from those fruits.

Thanks,that's what I thought .is there a way to still eat the above but make the stools firmer ' I have read that taking psyllium can help,but taking too much without enough water can cause constipation .I thinking of extra bread or biscuits etc etc .Thanks

#24 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:41 PM

If you drink the amount of water recommended to take with the fiber you should be OK. It isn't like you have to drink gallons and gallons of water. A glass or two with the fiber with a normal amount of water the rest of the day should be fine.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#25 Colt

Colt

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:17 AM

Jennie, you really need to try psyllium husk powder, it has helped me a lot.Still suffer from this though.....always worse when I have a BM in the afternoon.

Psyllium bulks your stool but it remains soft to pass. As it goes through your system, it picks up extra water.....so the dryer you are, the less leaky you are.You need to start off gently, maybe a half tsp three times a day, and then work your way up to where it works for you. At first, it may not seem to be working, so you will need to add more. IT WILL WORK. I use organic powder ($13 a pound in Canada) and mix it using a cappucino frother. The stuff is like paste, so drink it fast.

#26 Colt

Colt

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:20 AM

Psyllium bulks your stool but it remains soft to pass. As it goes through your system, it picks up extra water.....so the dryer you are, the less leaky you are.You need to start off gently, maybe a half tsp three times a day, and then work your way up to where it works for you. At first, it may not seem to be working, so you will need to add more. IT WILL WORK. I use organic powder ($13 a pound in Canada) and mix it using a cappucino frother. The stuff is like paste, so drink it fast.

Mix it well with water....it can literally choke you, it sticks to your mouth and throat!!

#27 1990girl

1990girl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:29 PM

Hi I joined this forum after searching this problem on the Internet. What you have described, well it could have been written by me. I have been seeing a colorectal surgeon for 2 years regarding this problem, I have had every test under the sun. I have had internal ultrasounds, an MRI, colonoscopy and anal mamotry tests (testing muscle strength). All came back fine, which in some ways was a relief because I have been petrified that I was incontinent or had something really seriously wrong. The final test was to have exploration under general anaesthetic - and the surgeon found an anal fissure. So that is what he has put it down to as they can leak mucus. Two doses of Botox treatment later and I am not convinced. I may have a fissure but I experience no pain and bleeding, I don't think he has made it up but I wonder if the fissure is a bit of a red herring. I obviously have one and I'm sure it doesn't help but it may just be another thing I have rather than the cause.I have found no solution and like u take a shower straight after a bowel movement to try get clean. I won't repeat what you have described as it is literally an exact match.I am sorry that I have not yet found a solution I can share but I have found comfort in knowing someone else has this for what appears to be no reason. Despite reassurances from my surgeon that my muscles are in perfect form and very strong, I have spent hours worrying that I am somehow incontinent for a short time after each bowel movement because getting clean is a mission. Some days it really really gets me down, and a lot of it is the worry that it is something that will progress. Will keep updated with any progress, back with the surgeon in March.

#28 1990girl

1990girl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

Hi Louise85,Sorry I did not reply in months, was out of the country a while and haven't been on this forum in a very long time. I'm not happy that you and other people have the same problem but it's rather comforting to know I'm not alone. I sometimes feel like the only girl who has this (everytime I look online it's only guys.) I went to a doctor in the winter who said I appear to have old internal hemorrhoids (caused by my history of constipation) that have caused scar tissue in which fecal matter gets stuck and irritates the area, hence the difficulty to get clean. He prescribed suppositories for me, but a whole box of those didn't change anything. Most recently I had another doctor give me a hemorrhoid treatment and said I would see a change in 3 to 4 weeks. Well a month has passed and still no change. I called him and he just said I need to be taking 10 grams of fiber. I switched to prune juice because it worked better than fiber, in terms of keeping me regular, but he wants me to go back to fiber and I don't want to. He doesn't seem to get it, I was on fiber for months and it didn't change anything! For a long time I've been going well every morning and sometimes again later, very rarely constipated, but the wiping issue remains the same. I use wet wipes every single time I have a bm, 'digging in' with them one after another until I find nothing left and then I'm usually okay for the day. But still . . . it's tiresome having to spend so long in the bathroom wiping. Sometimes, it doesn't even help unless I shower. The problem just waxes and wanes, but is always there at the back of my mind. I'm feeling rather hopeless about it, because even though I'm rescused by wet wipes (I carry them with me everywhere) and I've regulated my system to have very punctual, healthy bms, I still have to contend with the cleaniless part which is annoying when I go out or am activeAnyways, I hope you and everyone else find help with this.

#29 1990girl

1990girl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:48 PM

Hi 1990girlI have been following your thread because I posted a similar problem sometime ago.I have one or two bowel movements aday,and most times I have to reclean after about 10 minutes.This started about 10 months ago for me,but have been suffering fom ibs since 1994.Prior to tis I was was passing hard pellets or hard ish stools which have caused a few hemmoriods .my, dr says the hemmoroid is not causing the leakage,it's probably due to the food I'm eating.Currently I eat two peaches. Dusty,and have saled for my tea.im not sure what food causes this,too much fibre,not enough fibre ?...Like you I'm still seeking a reason for this,hopefully someone might offer some advice .I was told to try probiotics ,fibre supplements ( won't try the fs) can cause more issues .Any advice from you or others would be appreciated .Take care

#30 Colt

Colt

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:51 PM

I believe it is not IBS...it is something else. I still struggle like you, but the psyllium has really helped.I hope we find the answer....I promise to share.

#31 1990girl

1990girl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:56 PM

To pikmin,I don't know if it's diet related . . . One doctor told me it's a local, technical problem not food-related, and I'm inclined to believe him. I was on a gluten-free and lactose-free diet for three months and nothing changed. Not sure about fiber either. I did fiber capsules every night before bed and even though they made me regular they ddin't solve the wiping problem. the whole thing has made me tired . . . wish you luck and keep me posted.

#32 1990girl

1990girl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:58 PM

Hi,People mention extra fibre, but could too much fibre or the wrong type of fibre cause this ?Currently I'm suffering with this issues.if I have one bm a day,then I don't suffer much with very soft stools.when I have two per day, that's when I suffer.the first is normally formed and no leakage,it's the second which is soft and causes the leakage.I eat two prunes a day and two peaches, I find that this helps with the constipation ,and hard stools,but causes the leakage.I have just dropped down to 1.5 prunes and smaller peaches.I'm hoping that the reduced fibre will result in one bm per day,or firmer stools.Maybe more bread would help or something else ,your thoughts please.Thanks

#33 1990girl

1990girl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:04 PM

Pikmin,I know exactly what you're talking about. Sometimes I will have a bm and manage to wipe clean. Then later I will have a softer one and everything's messed up. Other times I go in the morning and it's softer. Then later in the afternoon I pass one of those wonderful "log" types that require little wiping. But prunes are good because they have fiber and keep you going every day without having that gritty type of fiber that capsules or powder form has, which may or may not cause further irritation . . . I'm confused, that's all. Whole wheat or whole grain bread is better than plain white bread. Do you take wet wipes with you wherever you go? I do, and have to sneak them into the bathroom with me at work because I'm embarassed. No one else I know does this.

#34 1990girl

1990girl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:34 PM

I have had this same issue nearly all of my life. Like another poster said, I could have written this myself. I don't have an answer. I am very frustrated with it. I have now had 5 children and it just gets worse as everything has relaxed. :( Looking for answers...

#35 1990girl

1990girl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:37 PM

teasterwood,any change yet? :( I'm still looking into my issue

#36 pikmin

pikmin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:49 AM

Pikmin,I know exactly what you're talking about. Sometimes I will have a bm and manage to wipe clean. Then later I will have a softer one and everything's messed up. Other times I go in the morning and it's softer. Then later in the afternoon I pass one of those wonderful "log" types that require little wiping. But prunes are good because they have fiber and keep you going every day without having that gritty type of fiber that capsules or powder form has, which may or may not cause further irritation . . . I'm confused, that's all. Whole wheat or whole grain bread is better than plain white bread. Do you take wet wipes with you wherever you go? I do, and have to sneak them into the bathroom with me at work because I'm embarassed. No one else I know does this.

Hiya,I can't eat whole wheat etc it cause me discomfort , just eat whie bread .i used to use wet wipes,but my dr told me to stop due to the chemicals etc etc.Im not sure whst cases it to be honest.ive just gone five days with normal bm ,today the old problem is back.I only eat prunes and peaches,all other fibre food makes it worse ,not too sure if drinking too much water can cause it or chocolate ??Will we ever find an answer ?

#37 westr

westr

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:37 AM

dont do this

why not? does it cause damage?

#38 BQ

BQ

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14427 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:47 AM

It could, yes.
Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

#39 westr

westr

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:28 PM

It could, yes.

the wet wipes or the digging in? these days i tend to use wet wipes and dig about 1cm in, not much just a fingertip.

#40 BQ

BQ

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14427 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:36 PM

The digging in.
Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here