Can't get anus clean - Page 3 - Gas / Flatulence / Bloating - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Can't get anus clean

• Please log in to reply
255 replies to this topic

#41 Jed

Jed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:27 AM

For many years I've suffered with the same problem. After a BM it can be an epic to get clean again.At home all is fine because I just apply a little liquid soap to the roll and after a few wipes usually it cleans up. The soap can make the sensitive area sore and on the rare occasion I have noticed blood on the roll. It soon heals though.I am a teacher in a girls school and so it's important that I have no unpleasant body odour. If there is no liquid soap available I'm in trouble. I have a high fibre diet already and so I'm not convinced that increasing the dosage would help.I also suffer with IBS-D and terrible leaky gas. I just read Linda's calcium recommendation and I am going to give it a good try. My guess would be that all three problems are the same; IBS-D, gas and messy BM.Anyway I'll be back to see if anyone has a remedy to be sure.

#42 pikmin

pikmin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:43 PM

The last few days my leakage has been worse .im still on the 2 peaches and one prune aday,constipation or hard stools are not an issue,just the constant leakage .Tomorrow I'm only having one peach ,half in the morning,the other in the late afternoon,and the prune before bed.I'm not sure if this will help,your thoughts .For five days I had no leakage,then the above.i stopped eating tinned spuds every day ,had two days with just bread rolls,,then added oven chips to my diet.Not sure if the chips or the choc chip cookies with coconut caused the leakage.My first bm in normally soft pellots with longer pellots.the second which causes the leakage is formed but very soft.it takes ages to clean,and the leakage lasts for hours .I'm back on the bread rolls for tea for a few days,will see what happens with one peach.A member commented on the sorbitol in the fruit which draws water into the stool,I'm hoping this will still work but without the leakage .I read somewhere that ice cream is good ? I love cornetos ,maybe they will help .I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the above.Many thanks

#43 LynnR

LynnR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:58 AM

Hi. I have had the problem with soiled panties for years and it's very embarrassing as you all know. I usually take an extra pair of panties with me to work just in case. I move my bowels about 3 times a day, so there is no problem with going to the bathroom. I clean regularly every morning before I leave the house but if I have to expel gas, I have to do it very slowly so I don't soil my panties, but sometimes you just can't help it and it comes out quickly and I am in trouble. I also believe that it's because my rectum is never empty so there is always a slight leakage. I am always smelling myself just to make sure I am okay. I must always clean myself with wet tissue paper. Do you have any idea how hard this is when I am not using my bathroom. I pray that the ladies room is empty so I can take wads of paper and wet them to bring into the toilet area. I cannot use dry paper. Actually I don't know how anyone can use dry paper to wipe themselves. Does anyone else have to use wet toilet paper? It's comforting to know that others have this problem also. I thought I was pretty much alone in the area of dirty panties and thought I must be disgusting. Having extra panties and wet ones help me tremendously and its something I am pretty much used to now. Just wanted to share.

#44 Jed

Jed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:23 AM

Hi. I have had the problem with soiled panties for years and it's very embarrassing as you all know. I usually take an extra pair of panties with me to work just in case. I move my bowels about 3 times a day, so there is no problem with going to the bathroom. I clean regularly every morning before I leave the house but if I have to expel gas, I have to do it very slowly so I don't soil my panties, but sometimes you just can't help it and it comes out quickly and I am in trouble. I also believe that it's because my rectum is never empty so there is always a slight leakage. I am always smelling myself just to make sure I am okay. I must always clean myself with wet tissue paper. Do you have any idea how hard this is when I am not using my bathroom. I pray that the ladies room is empty so I can take wads of paper and wet them to bring into the toilet area. I cannot use dry paper. Actually I don't know how anyone can use dry paper to wipe themselves. Does anyone else have to use wet toilet paper? It's comforting to know that others have this problem also. I thought I was pretty much alone in the area of dirty panties and thought I must be disgusting. Having extra panties and wet ones help me tremendously and its something I am pretty much used to now. Just wanted to share.

I have to use liquid soap on the tissue paper.Try Calcium Carbonate 600mg tablets, one every night before bed. I Have just started and it has made an amazing difference to me. Linda's thread explains all about it, but CC is mentioned on Wikipedia as a well known cure for IBS-D.Don't over dose on the CC. Just one a day should be fine.It has really helped me :-)

#45 Colt

Colt

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:07 PM

Thanks for your input Jed. I did not have luck with Calcium, but a lot of people have. Glad you are doing better!

#46 Louise85

Louise85

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:35 AM

I received a personal message on here and thought I should probably update as a group as well.My symptoms have completely resolved and this has coincided with the healing of my fissure. My fissure healed when a huge stress factor was removed from my life. I know that sounds lame but my surgeon even agreed he has been treating me for 5 years and at my last check up he said it had healed and it was probably due to me finishing my professional training the month before, an joked that he would no doubt be seeing me again after my next lot of qualifications. I became fixated on this issue and the symptoms, googling, crying feeling embarassed. It is only when stress has gone that it has gone which is a vicious cycle because the symptoms caused my anxiety.If any of u have a fissure maybe try get that resolved because it seems to have been at the route of the spamming after a bowel movement.Also to note my surgeon said some element of not being totally clean is normal, to coin his phrase 'everyone gets skid marks occasionally' because he explained the anus continues to try clean itself for up to 15minutes after or more, releasing tiny residue- so he said sit on the toilet longer and read a book! Anyway, good luck hope this helps
  • spartacus likes this

#47 Louise85

Louise85

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:36 AM

Oh and I got really told off about caffeine intake! I've caffeine a miss too.

#48 RJD

RJD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:41 PM

Hi-I have this absurd problem since a surgery in January of this year. I tried everything. I eat organic, healthy, work-out and avoid stress as much as it is possible. I will have a bowel movement, shower or wipe myself with a baby wipe, and 20 to 30 mn later I will feel itchy down there and surely, I'll find specs of fecal matter on a wipe. I need to carry baby wipes with me all the time. No anal fissure here. What's wrong? I am a male in his fifties.

#49 1990girl

1990girl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:15 PM

I am in tears about this constantly . . . It's been going on for two years now if not longer and no solution. I'm sick of passive doctors. I'm a 21-year-old girl and I want to enjoy my life again and not have to worry about this interfering with dating! More research has yielded a new suspicion as to what it might be. Rectal nerve damage? I used to be chronically constipated and that's when it all started.What does everyone think?
  • Fleet enema likes this

#50 eitu343

eitu343

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:38 AM

I have leakage of mucus after a BM. Even if I'm constipated, there will still be large amounts of non stop mucus everytime I wipe. I normally wash with water but it seems to be never ending. I also get discomfort during the day / night and it feels like bubbles exploding out my ass. I also get bubbling sometimes on the bottom left side of my stomach which may be due to mucus and also trapped wind.I have tried probiotics, changing my diet. I was taking laparmoid and codeine for a while which helped during the day with my other symptoms but they don't help the mucus.I was given Amitriptoline which I tried but that just knocked me out and gave me a long list of sideaffects.I don't know what else to do.

#51 ileo

ileo

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:57 PM

I have leakage of mucus after a BM. Even if I'm constipated, there will still be large amounts of non stop mucus everytime I wipe. I normally wash with water but it seems to be never ending. I also get discomfort during the day / night and it feels like bubbles exploding out my ass. I also get bubbling sometimes on the bottom left side of my stomach which may be due to mucus and also trapped wind.I have tried probiotics, changing my diet. I was taking laparmoid and codeine for a while which helped during the day with my other symptoms but they don't help the mucus.I was given Amitriptoline which I tried but that just knocked me out and gave me a long list of sideaffects.I don't know what else to do.

I recommend psyllium 3.5g per day for this problem. If I stop taking the psyllium regularly before eat meal, and don't eat 3 meals per day, the mucous discharge is marked the following day. I use http://www.hollandan...did=145&cid=309 , but I have not tried any other productThese wiki pages may be interest to you:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rectal_dischargehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fecal_leakagegood luck

#52 eitu343

eitu343

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:13 AM

I recommend psyllium 3.5g per day for this problem. If I stop taking the psyllium regularly before eat meal, and don't eat 3 meals per day, the mucous discharge is marked the following day. I use http://www.hollandan...did=145&cid=309 , but I have not tried any other productThese wiki pages may be interest to you:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rectal_dischargehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fecal_leakagegood luck

Thanks. Will try those tablets. Do you take 1 tablet 3 times a day and does your mucus completely stop when you are on those or just lessen? I tried calcium carbonate tablets in the past which made me v constipated but the mucus was still there. Will give these a go.

#53 ileo

ileo

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:15 PM

Do you take 1 tablet 3 times a day and does your mucus completely stop when you are on those or just lessen?

For me personally, this is the only thing that I have tried that eliminates mucous discharge. Also I note that the stool is easier to eliminate and there is often nothing on the paper when I wipe after bowel movement. If I stop taking the psyllium, and snack instead of having 3 main meals, there is pronounced mucus the next day. The bottle says take 2 tablets 30-60 mins before each meal. This equates to 3000mg per day. However I read a paper which advised 3.5 g per day, so often I will take 3 tablets, ideally before the meal which has least fiber (breakfast or lunch). Apparently there have been a few cases of choking on psyllium, because it absorbs so much water, so the bottle also advises drinking loads of water when taking the tabs.Good luck

#54 kitkatkelly

kitkatkelly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:38 AM

I deal with this problem regularly (no pun intended) and it is entirely due to stool consistency. As you've noticed, it doesn't happen with harder stools. It also doesn't happen with diarrhea -- it's that in-between mushy type that gives us grief. I would suspect that it's happening to you because laxatives are softening your stools. If you can firm up your stools, maybe with more dietary fibre or less laxative use, the problem will go away.PS, as a hairy, sweaty IBS-prone young woman, I feel your pain! It's easy to feel embarrassed and unclean when there's so much pressure to look and smell perfect. But I promise, it always seems worst to you -- I was surprised the first time someone told me that I never smell. You always worry other people will notice things like this, but they never do.

#55 ileo

ileo

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:16 PM

I deal with this problem regularly (no pun intended) and it is entirely due to stool consistency. As you've noticed, it doesn't happen with harder stools. It also doesn't happen with diarrhea -- it's that in-between mushy type that gives us grief. I would suspect that it's happening to you because laxatives are softening your stools. If you can firm up your stools, maybe with more dietary fibre or less laxative use, the problem will go away.PS, as a hairy, sweaty IBS-prone young woman, I feel your pain! It's easy to feel embarrassed and unclean when there's so much pressure to look and smell perfect. But I promise, it always seems worst to you -- I was surprised the first time someone told me that I never smell. You always worry other people will notice things like this, but they never do.

Although psyllium is classed as a bulk forming laxative, it is basically just fiber. It is not a medication as such, just like a fibre supplement. I would disagree re harder stools comment. Aim for Bristol stool form type 3 or 4. http://en.wikipedia....tol_stool_scale rather than hard stools. Hard stools mean they have spent longer in the colon and have lost more water. They are smaller and harder for the muscles to propel. Also, in my experience mucus production is greatly up-regulated by constipation.Mucus is normally produced to lubricate passage of stool, but It can be expressed pathologically too. http://en.wikipedia....ectal_discharge Very happy for you that you don't smell, but I do. I get abuse all the time so I am sure people notice.

#56 Colt

Colt

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:23 PM

Although psyllium is classed as a bulk forming laxative, it is basically just fiber. It is not a medication as such, just like a fibre supplement. I would disagree re harder stools comment. Aim for Bristol stool form type 3 or 4. http://en.wikipedia....tol_stool_scale rather than hard stools. Hard stools mean they have spent longer in the colon and have lost more water. They are smaller and harder for the muscles to propel. Also, in my experience mucus production is greatly up-regulated by constipation.Mucus is normally produced to lubricate passage of stool, but It can be expressed pathologically too. http://en.wikipedia....ectal_discharge Very happy for you that you don't smell, but I do. I get abuse all the time so I am sure people notice.

Hard, soft, in between, it does not matter. When I leak I leak. It is always worse if I have a BM in the afternoon. Psyllium improves it tremendously.The other odd thing I notice is that since this started, I get bad gas and cramps when I am hungry.

#57 eitu343

eitu343

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:00 AM

I agree with the previous poster. It doesn't matter whether the stool is hard or soft. There is always mucus when I go. I have been trying Psilium Husks tablets for the past few days but they are causing a lot of gas / bloating of my stomach and increasing the urgency factor whenever I do need to go. My symptoms are a lot worse. I have been reading this is normal for the first 3 or 4 weeks so will give it that much time and see what happens. I am taking 3 Psilium husks to start with to get my body used to it.I will post if they do help.

#58 ileo

ileo

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:10 AM

I agree with the previous poster. It doesn't matter whether the stool is hard or soft. There is always mucus when I go. I have been trying Psilium Husks tablets for the past few days but they are causing a lot of gas / bloating of my stomach and increasing the urgency factor whenever I do need to go. My symptoms are a lot worse. I have been reading this is normal for the first 3 or 4 weeks so will give it that much time and see what happens. I am taking 3 Psilium husks to start with to get my body used to it.I will post if they do help.

Make sure to drink loads of water when you take psyllium.In my experience, stool consistency plays a strong role in level of mucus. (Constipation causes more mucus)

#59 eitu343

eitu343

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:28 AM

Make sure to drink loads of water when you take psyllium.In my experience, stool consistency plays a strong role in level of mucus. (Constipation causes more mucus)

I'm still taking the Psilium husk tablets but wanted to double check if the symptoms usually get v worse at the start before getting better? especially the leakage of mucus and feeling of urgency. There seems to be more leakage of mucus now I've been taking the tablets and I'm going more often during the day now than I was before. I am drinking more water now but that is also making me go more as normally I avoid drinking much water during the day cos even if I need to urinate, I will still make sure and empty my bowels at the same time as I don't trust my own body.

#60 Colt

Colt

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:17 PM

I'm still taking the Psilium husk tablets but wanted to double check if the symptoms usually get v worse at the start before getting better? especially the leakage of mucus and feeling of urgency. There seems to be more leakage of mucus now I've been taking the tablets and I'm going more often during the day now than I was before. I am drinking more water now but that is also making me go more as normally I avoid drinking much water during the day cos even if I need to urinate, I will still make sure and empty my bowels at the same time as I don't trust my own body.

I did not have that experience,but every day is different. Could be a coincidence.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here