Can't get anus clean - Page 5 - Gas / Flatulence / Bloating - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Can't get anus clean

• Please log in to reply
255 replies to this topic

#81 Colt

Colt

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

So glad I found this forum. Well, my story is quite similar to many of the posts here.

Over the last 10 or so years, I've had trouble keeping my anus fecal free. After a BM, I would wipe my anus clean and go about my business. About an hour later, it would feel kind of squishy/slippery, like I never wiped, and sure enough, it sometimes looked like l've never done anything. To make matters worse, I was not properly wiping and my anus would become irratated, itch and burn, which was the worst, especially when I was out and about. It would itch like hell and then would burn like hell when I scratched it with TP.

I've even had bouts with emergency bowel evacuation (mud butt) where I couldn't make it to a toilet. I commute quite a distance, which means being suck in traffic. Let me tell you, there's no worse feeling than having to go when you're caught in the middle of a freeway traffic jam. There have been times where I pulled over on the side of the road and had a movement on the ground, behind my car because there was nowhere else to go. It was mortifying, but there was nothing else I could do.

I finally decided to seek medical help and see a doctor. After a rectal exam (which was beyond uncomfortable), he told me that anal fissures was the cause for my inability to keep my anus clean. I still don't really understand how that could be the issue. Anyway, he suggested changing my diet and using Tucks wipes and cream to alleviate the itching and burning. I didn't really change my diet, but the itching and burning subsided with the cream. By now, the anal fissures should have healed, but I still have the wiping issue where my anus never becomes completely clean. After a BM, I wipe it as clean as I can get and then wipe with Tucks pads. That helps a bit, but doesn't solve the issue. Does anyone have any advice?

Wish I had the answer. I am now on Questran which helps the soft stool, but still have the leakage.

My suggestion for you would be to take Immodium, even a 1/2 tab before you commute. There is no harm in taking it daily.  I also found some relief with psyllium powder, although it tends to make you go more you will leak less. Do a a search on here for Psyllium for ideas on how to take it.

And....please if you EVER figure it out let us know.

#82 Pentatonic

Pentatonic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

Hello all, I'm new here.

I am in the UK, 61 years-old male and have had IBS for over 40 years. I've suffered, albeit at different times, everything described in previous posts. However, my present symptoms are predominantly feeling of fullness after a bm, difficulty clearing remaining sludge after shifting firm-ish stools, on-and-off wind build-up plus gale-like expulsion of same, and persistent tachycardia.

Without going into it all and boring anyone further, I will just tell how I deal with it.

Each morning, I mix a teaspoon of Regucol (Holland & Barrett's version of Lepicol) in water followed by a glass of water. 20 minutes later I have a light non-cooked breakfast (cooked breakfast does me in - plays havoc with the IBS) washed down with water. I usually have cereal with soya milk. Prior to the universal availability of soya milk i could not touch dairy milk due to its terrible effect on my guts. If I'm lucky, breakfast will bring on the the need for a bm.  I'll go, do my best then clean up with moist toilet tissues (Andrex Washlets or Boots own brand ). Directly after the bm, I take 2 Imodium - actually supermarket own-brand versions, they're just the same (loperamide).

I've had all the prescription remedies: amitryptyline, seroxatine, diazepam and more. I've been for hypnotherapy and acupuncture (which, when I found a serious practitioner, took me to 80% normality for a while), endured every medical test known to man, and tried endless alternative remedies.

Ultimately though, I find Regucol, Imodium and moist toilet tissues keep things under control. Not right, because the condition (IBS) never quits, but significantly better than putting up with symptoms described in preceding posts.

#83 FODMAP devotee

FODMAP devotee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:53 AM

1990 and kimeluhu. I installed the FODMAP iPhone application produced by Australia's Monash University and I am amazed at the improvement. It took two and a half weeks of strict diet to reach my definition of normal though, based on past experience, I also excluded pears and kiwi fruit. I am now in the challenge phase and kiwi fruit has again appeared as a culprit BUT the good thing is that the aftermath did not last as long as previously. There have been other odd "sticky" situations, but the recovery has been quicker in all cases. I think the reality is I need to learn my tolerance levels for some foods, add a bit of psyllium, and I may well become a normal human being. This mightn't help everyone, but it will help some.

#84 Colt

Colt

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:14 AM

Just thought I would update.  Questran has not helped this problem.

Still at my wits end.

#85 jyork

jyork

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:07 PM

I have a similar problem some of you might relate to...

After going #2 sometimes my butt just doesn't wipe clean and I'm constantly wiping and have even gone as far as sticking my finger wrapped in toilet paper up there to get it as clean as possible.  I'll even dab soap on the toilet paper to try to help clean it. It's so annoying. Sometimes it just dosn't wipe clean and 5-20min later I'll have to wipe it again.  

I use to think it was because I'm a guy and I have ass hair, but after shaving my crack it didn't help at all. 

Interestingly, the cleanest most perfect stools I've had were always after I had fast/junk/unhealthy foods, which is the type of food I was raised on!  My parents raised me on Mac & Cheese, Hamburger Helper,  Hot Dogs, Hamburgers, Chicken, Potatos, Steaks, Kool-Aid, Mc Donald's, Taco Bell, Pizza Hit, etc, as they didn't know anything about eating healthy, gardening, and all the bad ingredients that are in most food these days.

When I eat those unhealthy foods I was raised on my stools always tend to come out perfect and I ONLY HAVE TO WIPE ONCE!  It's as if my body won't adjust to the healthier lifestyle I've adopted over the past 10 years, which is when this problem started occurring for me.  I eat only a organic/natural diet of locally grown produce/meats/poultry bought at the farmers market, and natural/organic stuff I buy at Whole Foods/Trader Joes. I feel healthier but my bowel issues make me think otherwise.

I've been dealing with this problem for 10 years now and it only happens when I eat clean and healthy foods! I'm trying to increase my life span....but perhaps I'm just mean't to eat bad foods and die of cancer or heart disease.

------------------

I also recently read a few reports about how a whopping 84% of 'white tuna' sold in the USA, and used in Sushi was actually Escolar, a snake mackerel fish that causes oily anal leakage and was banned by the FDA until 1992.  I've ate a lot of Sushi and Tuna over the past 10 years. Could this be the problem?  I haven't ate Tuna Sushi or Tunafish in 2 weeks since reading those reports but my problem still hasn't cleared up.

-------------------

Also a lot of organic/natural foods these days I noticed have laxatives and other bad ingredients in them you need to avoid. I just started avoiding these as I didn't know they were bad and they are in so many products...

Carrageenan Gum :

Carrageenan is a common food addivitve both in pet food and human food. It is extracted from seaweed through the use of a chemical solvent. It is used as thickener and binder in canned pet food, as well as in many human foods such as ice cream, yogurt, and soy milk.

According to the Cornucopia Institute, the International Agency for Research on Cancer recognizes degraded carrageenan as a “possible human carcinogen,” based on research showing that it leads to higher rates of colon cancer in lab animals. Carrageenan processors claim that food-grade carrageenan falls entirely in the undegraded category; however, one study showed that not a single sample of food-grade carrageenan could confidently claim to be entirely free of the potential cancer-causing material.

http://www.thecatsit...out-carrageenan

http://blog.charisho...s-additive.aspx

Xanthan Gum:

Xanthan gum is a sugar-like compound made by mixing aged (fermented) sugars with a certain kind of bacteria. It is used to make medicine. Xanthan gum is used for lowering blood sugar and total cholesterol in people with diabetes. It is also used as a laxative. Xanthan gum swells in the intestine, which stimulates the digestive tract to push stool through. It also might slow the absorption of sugar from the digestive tract and work like saliva to lubricate and wet the mouth in people who don't produce enough saliva.

http://www.webmd.com...ame=XANTHAN GUM

Soy Lecithin:

The main problem with soy lecithin is that is derived from soy beans. Soy beans are widely known to have one of the highest pesticide contamination levels of any crop. During the processing of soy beans solvents are used to degum the soybean oil and this is very likely to lead to chemical solvents and contaminant in the soy lecithin. Also, if the soybeans are not organic, then soy lecithin may also contain harmful herbicides and pesticides. Many soybeans are also genetically modified, a process which as yet has not been concluded to be safe and should be avoided. 

Soy Lecithin sife effects:

Gastrointestinal problems like diarrhea,
Changes in weight (loss and gain
Loss of appetite
Skin rashes
Nausea, dizziness, vomiting and confusion
Low blood pressure (which is just as dangerous as high blood pressure)
Blurred vision and occasional fainting

http://www.vitguide....n-side-effects/

Perhaps because many of the organic/natural products I buy have these ingredients in them it's why I've been suffering with this? I really don't know for sure.. but I'm going to make sure to avoid them for now on.

#86 Colt

Colt

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:50 PM

Jyork, some of what  you say rings true with me. Some of the "best" things I can eat are things like pizza. Better formed stool and usually less of the nasty leakage.

For me, the leakage is always worse after an afternoon BM. The leakage will continue for hours and often burns and itches. The more you wipe the worse the burning.

Like you, I can wipe completely clean, and within a half hour, I am back wiping again....and again and again.

There is a common thread among all sufferers, we just have to find it.

#87 Bumdeal

Bumdeal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:53 AM

Hi, I got here because I've had a problem getting really clean for a while and get trapped in the cycle of over cleaning, itching and soreness followed by a need to clean properly again. I also go through a regular pattern of hard stools getting softer until they're practically diarrhoea. I've had haemorrhoids for years since I was a student (now in my late fifties). All very embarrassing. I have only a few recommendations which help but don't cure:
First, an occasional half tablet Immodium Plus slows things down very effectively and reduces bloating/gas. Ordinary loperamide capsules or tablets don't have this added bonus effect.
Second, too much fibre is fatal. Doesn't work for me.
Alcohol free wipes are so much kinder to the soft nether regions than most proprietary brands. Check the ingredients. Alcohol dessicates the skin as it dries, causing itching. Try using anti-bacterial wipes on your face and see what I mean! If not available, kids wipes are generally kinder. Nothing works better than washing though.

Hope this helps someone. Thanks for all the other advice here. As many say, it's a comfort just to know you're not alone.

#88 Colt

Colt

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:19 PM

Hi, I got here because I've had a problem getting really clean for a while and get trapped in the cycle of over cleaning, itching and soreness followed by a need to clean properly again. I also go through a regular pattern of hard stools getting softer until they're practically diarrhoea. I've had haemorrhoids for years since I was a student (now in my late fifties). All very embarrassing. I have only a few recommendations which help but don't cure:
First, an occasional half tablet Immodium Plus slows things down very effectively and reduces bloating/gas. Ordinary loperamide capsules or tablets don't have this added bonus effect.
Second, too much fibre is fatal. Doesn't work for me.
Alcohol free wipes are so much kinder to the soft nether regions than most proprietary brands. Check the ingredients. Alcohol dessicates the skin as it dries, causing itching. Try using anti-bacterial wipes on your face and see what I mean! If not available, kids wipes are generally kinder. Nothing works better than washing though.

Hope this helps someone. Thanks for all the other advice here. As many say, it's a comfort just to know you're not alone.

Thanks for your input. I still think we will find the cause by sharing all of our experiences.

#89 MaximilianKohler

MaximilianKohler

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:29 AM

Hello, sorry I have not read the whole thread. I just wanted to say that I wash instead of wipe and I think it's superior and would likely help your issue.

I personally just go in the tub and use a handheld shower head, but you could use a small bidet as well.

While this would work at home, you might not be able to do the bidet thing at work so perhaps leave a wet wipe inserted in your anus or perhaps some other type of wipe that absorbs liquid well. Maybe you could just pad your underwear with something. Maybe a tampon or maxi pad would work. Maybe an incontinence pad.

GL!

What I've found to be effective: http://www.ibsgroup....working-for-me/

Starting guide to probiotics: http://HumanMicrobio...Probiotic-Guide

FMT is the ultimate cure if you can find someone in perfect health: http://www.ibsgroup....-ibs-d-its-gone - http://HumanMicrobiome.info/FMT

#90 cowgomoo

cowgomoo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:39 AM

Just wash you ass. It will save you time. Not of wiping. But finding a "cure".

#91 Colt

Colt

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:10 AM

I have an appointment with a new Gastro in two weeks.  I decided that the other Gastro who told me "take immodium and go home" was obviously not concerned for my situation.

Cholestrymine did help for awhile, but like  everything else the effect fades.

I continue to have leakage pretty much every day. I also notice two things that coincide with the "worst" days.....I wake up with a burning stomach and find that I am incredibly hungry about two hours later, even after having eaten breakfast.

I will update and share if the new Gastro gives me any ideas.

#92 Colt

Colt

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:57 PM

Well, as promised I am here to report what my new Gastro has been able to determine about my situation:

Nothing.  

He did however alleviate some of my concerns about Imodium.

So, he tells me to do the following:

Daily Imodium.

4 Grams of chlolestramine 3 times daily.

Not able to tell me why I am having leakage. Checked my anus for fissures, nerve issues, strength and said all was perfect.  Did a full physical and pressed and pushed every square inch of my abdominal area.  Apparently I am in "excellent health".

I have officially given up on doctors.  They CANNOT help us.

#93 Michael319

Michael319

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:04 AM

Hi, I'm a new member. I don't think I have IBS, at least nothing as bad as some of the people on this board have described, but my bowel and anus have been giving me some gas, no pun intended. Excuse me while I rant.I'm a 20-year-old female, I like to keep clean and fresh and to feel attractive for my own sake, and since last fall I've been having this one main problem: after passing a bowel movement, I can't seem to get clean! I wipe very thoroughly and gently with quality toilet paper, until there appears to be no fecal residue left, and then a little while later I will just have a feeling like I'm not clean. I will check in the bathroom and sure enough, there's brown streaks on the paper! I've been trying everything. I use wet wipes, but they don't help much. Sometimes I wash with a squirt bottle, directly onto the anus, and wipe more and more until I seem clean. This sometimes works, but not right after the bm. If I wash right after, even in the shower, later on I'll feel something and then check and there's even a smell still lingering. I've been on a fiber diet for a while now; started out with Benefiber, but sometimes I'd get constipated. So I switched to fiber capsules (psyllium) and have been going regularly after breakfast. Stools are usually looser, which is okay. However, those rare times when they are well-formed hardly anything is left behind and it's heaven! But what I HATE is when I poo after breakfast and then go for my hour-long power walk in the heat and I sweat heavily and my anus feels really soiled. Sometimes it burns and itches, which is the worst. Other times I have already showered before breakfast and am getting ready to go out when I have to move my bowels, and this ruins the clean fresh feeling my bum had. Am I being OC?? Is this normal or not?? I've been to a doctor and a gastroencologist and both examined my anus, said the sphincter muscle is fine, and simply recommended fiber and thorough cleaning. That was it. I don't think it's hemmeroids because I have no pain and there's no bleeding. I hate the moisture and the smell I get when I've had a bm in the morning and didn't scrub afterwards. I don't always have the time or inclination to wash after each one! I hate getting brown stains on my panties after walking -- just walking for more than fifteen minutes! -- as if I didn't clean well, which I always do. I've researched this topic and it seems only guys have it. Are other women so perfectly clean all the time?? Wet wipes, baby powder, fiber, constant washing and blotting -- I'm sick of it. I've even shaved my bum and anal region because one doctor recommended it, since feces may be retained in the hair. Yes, that's right, I'm a hairy female. I also sweat a lot. Armpits, palms, feet, genitalia, and anus. Sometimes I feel so alone in my inabaility to stay clean and smelling nice, like no other 20-year-old girl has these little problems. I just need to know if anybody has had this before and if it went away on it's own. It's kind of depressing me. When I travel, it always happens. When I go out with a friend, it always happens, and I have to keep excusing myself to the bathroom to wipe up, which they would never understand.Help me!

Hey I've had the same thing for a year and a half now, tried everything... I stopped eating brown bread 3 weeks ago and i've had absolutely no problems since, not even a hint.. The only difference i could see in ingredients is there is bran in the brown bread. I have always eaten different breads so they must have changed something in brown bread. Anyway I'm just glad i don't have to take a shower after a poo. I hope this works for you too

#94 MaximilianKohler

MaximilianKohler

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:21 AM

It could be the yeast or wheat or gluten.

What I've found to be effective: http://www.ibsgroup....working-for-me/

Starting guide to probiotics: http://HumanMicrobio...Probiotic-Guide

FMT is the ultimate cure if you can find someone in perfect health: http://www.ibsgroup....-ibs-d-its-gone - http://HumanMicrobiome.info/FMT

#95 bummobetta

bummobetta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:43 AM

I've used the following remedy for about five years.

I adapted a kitchen faucet sprayer to my bathroom faucet with quick release fittings. It just reaches the toilet. Flushing everything out (combination enema/mini-colonics) with warm water and then blotting gets me through the day, no blood, no skid marks.
If you have to hire a handyman, "It's for washing your hair."rolleyes.gif

#96 Colt

Colt

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:30 PM

Thanks for the reply. That sounds like an effective remedy for the symptom, so am I to assume you gave up trying to treat the underlying cause?

#97 spartacus

spartacus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:57 PM

I've been experiencing this problem for the last few years, but it was getting to me. Here are some tips that are sort of helping me out.

Bidets:

I've been doing a bit of research and I found that a bidet helps (check out the Brondell GoSpa Travel Bidet or TOTO Portable Travel Washlet). They are not perfect because they are embarrassing to carry around and make a bit of noise-BUT it does help to a certain extent. I chose to go with the GoSpa Travel bidet because it can hold more water.

For the home, you can find some non-electric toilet seat bidets or a shataf (such as the Brondell CleanSpa Hand Bidet). They are not too expensive. Amazon is a good place to start.

Flushable Wet Wipes:

Nice n' Clean has some great Flushable Moist Wipes. I take 2 or 3, fold them up and put them in a ziploc bag. I keep it in my pocket or bag until I need to use them. Helps after a very long wiping session.

For dryness:

If you're feeling dry after multiple wipes, try dabbing a very small amount of water soluble personal lubricant to the area.

I am still struggling with this issue, but I hope to overcome it one day. Best of luck to everyone.

#98 Colt

Colt

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:57 PM

Thanks Spartacus. Appreciate the ideas.  Here is a tip for you....female hygienic wipes instead of a "baggie" of wet wipes. They are individually wrapped and very convenient. Some of the brands are discretely labelled as well....which is nice when you are a guy.  Calmoseptine is awesome when you get badly chafed.

Read through this whole thread as there are some really good ideas to help with this problem. Things such as psyllium, calcium and such. For me these things did not help, but for many they really help a lot.

Please stay with us and help us all find a way to beat this damn thing.

#99 spartacus

spartacus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:44 PM

Thanks Spartacus. Appreciate the ideas.  Here is a tip for you....female hygienic wipes instead of a "baggie" of wet wipes. They are individually wrapped and very convenient. Some of the brands are discretely labelled as well....which is nice when you are a guy.  Calmoseptine is awesome when you get badly chafed.

Read through this whole thread as there are some really good ideas to help with this problem. Things such as psyllium, calcium and such. For me these things did not help, but for many they really help a lot.

Please stay with us and help us all find a way to beat this damn thing.

Colt, just wondering what brand of wipes do you use-is it something I can buy in store here in Canada?  I plan on reading entire threads soon to get some helpful ideas.

I've tried the Psyllium fiber supplements and it only helped with bulking the stool, not so much with the incomplete bowel movements.

Right now I'm on RestoraLAX (Polyethylene Glycol) to help with the constipation and incomplete bowel movements. My doctor said it will help shrink the bowels. It is helpful, but it's hard to keep up with the recommended dosage (2-3 tablespoons/day). I'm supposed to take this everyday for 3-4 months. Note, that this is NOT the type of laxative that makes you run to the bathroom. It helps produce a bowel movement anywhere from 1-8 hours after taking it. 

My doctor also recommended that I switch from fruits and vegetable fibres to more bran or insoluble fibres. After doing a lot of comparing, I went with the President's Choice Fibre First Multi-Bran Cereal. It had the highest amount of insoluble fibre per serving (11 or 12 grams per half cup), which is half of the daily recommended amount. So, I take 2 servings of that in the morning with some lactose-free milk.

#100 Colt

Colt

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:23 PM

Spartacus....fortunately I am married and my wife can shop for things like this for me. I use the Monistat brand wipes. They are individually wrapped and are very discreet. I think they go by the name Cool Wipes. Yes you can get them in Canada and at Superstore as that is where I get them.  There is also a brand called Always, but I do not use them due to the immature fear of dropping one - the packaging is very feminine and very obvious as to what it contains. That may sound silly, but there is enough humiliation with this issue, I do not need to be publicly embarrassed by pulling my wallet out and having an "Always" packet fall out of my pocket.

As for fibre, even though I do not get constipation (far from it) I use good old oatmeal. Two packs every morning for breakfast.

If it is any consolation, I would much rather have constipation than loose stool.

Best of luck to you and keep us updated.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here