IBS and "Hypoglycemia"? - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

IBS and "Hypoglycemia"?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kye

kye

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:55 PM

Advertisement
Hello everyone;I believe I have post infectious IBS, though it's taken me nearly two years to even realize there's a name for it. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has "hypoglycemia" type symptoms on a regular basis since getting IBS? For me these include weakness, sometimes dizzines, shaking (internal and external), racing heart. They are perhaps the most obnoxious symptoms I have, but I see very little discussion about them on IBS forums. I do think I sometimes undereat, and have for a long time, which may have something to do with it. I can get these symptoms before or after eating (but rarely while eating). 80% of the time the symptoms happen on an empty stomach though. Sometimes I get it in the dead of night too, which causes insomnia. Does anyone else have this? And if so, do you have suggestions for how I can prevent or treat it?Thanks!Kye

#2 breakaway

breakaway

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:35 PM

What infection did you have in the beginning? How did it transition to the symptoms you have now?

#3 kye

kye

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:53 PM

What infection did you have in the beginning? How did it transition to the symptoms you have now?

Never found out what I had. All I know is my roommate got sick when I did after eating the same food (only difference was I vomited the first night and he didn't). I went in for tests after about a week, but they all came up clear. It was very bad for weeks, and fairly bad for months, and gradually has abated to what it is now. it comes and goes, but rarely that severe. The hypoglycemia type thing was there from the start of it. Like my other symptoms, it comes and goes. I should note that I was one of those people who felt full very fast, especially in the beginning, and basically stopped eating sufficient amounts of food for months. I still don't know if I eat quite enough, but i've been making an effort to fix it. My other symptoms are alternating diarrhea and constipation (not all the time, just sometimes), mucus in stool, occasional queasiness, occasional cramping, gas, bloating, occasional heartburn, fatigue/weakness, and anxiety. My roommate has similar symptoms, but he has full on panic attacks. He gets more of the shaking and hypoglycemia thing than I do, but it's all very similar. I'm also losing weight, which could be from undereating or anxiety or both - been getting tests for that too but they all come up clear. Basically everything seems to fit with post infectious IBS, except I never see anyone talk about the shaking/hypoglycemia, and obviously the weight loss is a bit of a mystery.

#4 moonpig

moonpig

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 03:37 PM

I get hypoglycemia fairly regularly, however I always have, so not sure if to do with the IBS or not as only had that for about 3 years. As you probably know they say the best way to avoid it is to eat little and often. I absolutely can't eat breakfast though as that definitely makes it worse for me! If I don't have breakfast I can happily go until lunchtime without eating and without feeling hungry or hypo-y, if I have breakfast I am shaking and weak by 10am. Strange. The best thing when you are feeling hypoglycemic is to have something very sugary and then something starchy (like a banana) about 15 minutes later. You should start to feel better within about half an hour.

#5 BQ

BQ

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14427 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 06:05 PM

If you are not eating enough you could definitely get those symptoms. But IBS isn't related to hypoglycemia & hypoglycemia isn't related to IBS. They are two separate conditions. Just make sure you are eating right and ask your Dr to check your sugar.Also some of what you describe could be attributed to anxiety.
Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

#6 ldaines

ldaines

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 10:36 PM

I know this post was years ago, but I liked to see someone else out there with this. My brother got E. Coli (others did not) and he also now has hypoglycemia. I have had hypoglycemia for years, but am unsure when it started. I am looking at my genetic SNPs to try and figure out what might make us unique. My sister and I feel better (including mood) if we don't eat, but I have to eat a lot because of my blood sugar. I also have bad reactions to sugar - so I don't eat it. If there is OJ at the table, the three of us won't touch it.

#7 Phil

Phil

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 11 April 2020 - 11:21 PM

Finally! Someone who is dealing with what I'm experiencing. I'm so glad I'm not alone (Unfortunately).
All my blood tests come back clean, and my doctor says it's all stress-related, and I need to learn to manage stress, and I'll be fine. She prescribed Nortriptyline. I'm hoping it will help.

Forgive me for asking... What does SNPs stand for?

#8 Yupanda

Yupanda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 05:50 AM

If you undereat, it can happen that you develop hypoglycemic symptoms, because your body is literally saying it needs more fuel. After you eat, if you still exhibit symptoms it should not be because of hypoglycemia, because essentially you are feeding your body sugar by eating, unless you are maybe diabetic, then your body is unable to absorb the sugar into the cells. Or it takes a while for your body to figure out that you ate, so the symptoms you still exhibit after eating is perhaps a delayed response of your body noticing.

You say 80% of the times it's on a empty stomach, so that seems to me that you are indeed eating too little, especially combined with weight loss. Have you tried talking to a dietitian, they can look at your eating habits and perhaps give you some more insight if you are getting of enough calories a day. Dietician can definitely help if you are also trying to gain weight. 

Stress for some people can indeed suppress hunger  (for me its the opposite, i am a emotional eater ;) )

• nefertara likes this

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here