Dark chocolate intolerance? - Abdominal Pain - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Dark chocolate intolerance?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 S_Morse

S_Morse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:53 AM

Advertisement
I have a history of IBS. During the past six months my symptoms have change from an occassional stitch-like pain under my lower left rib to a constant dull ache in the same spot. I have had blood, urine, gluten tests and an ultrasound where the results have all been clear. I have kept a food diary but have not managed to find anything that is a consistent trigger food, though have been suspicous for many years of onion or garlic powder being a problem. That's the in a nutshell account of my IBS. On Friday I skipped lunch and later in the afternoon ate some dark chocolate. Shortly after my stomach was crampy and groany. My stool was very small, pellet-like and a dark green, and wet with mucus. This is not my regular IBS result but has happened occassionaly. I am thinking that this is a result of eating on an empty stomach and/or having a slight intolerance to dark chocolate. I am still suffering from stomach pain 48hrs later. My question is has anyone come across dark chocolate as a a trigger food? I have found information on milk chocolate but not dark.

#2 BQ

BQ

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14427 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:48 PM

It could have been the fact that you skipped lunch more than the chocolate. Many find skipping meals brings on worse D. Also things that are questionable because of their sugar or fat content are best eaten after a meal... than being the 1st thing into an empty stomach.
Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

#3 S_Morse

S_Morse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:14 PM

It could have been the fact that you skipped lunch more than the chocolate. Many find skipping meals brings on worse D. Also things that are questionable because of their sugar or fat content are best eaten after a meal... than being the 1st thing into an empty stomach.

Thanks BQ. It wasn't D that emerged though, it was more tiny (like squashed garden peas) with an equal part watery mucus. I've just had a bought of D after a meal which is more of a normal IBS result for me (though I don't know if this chocolate incident has primed my stomach for a reaction or what I have consumed is something to narrow down as a trigger food) but I have felt fatigued and ill all weekend which I am linking to the chocolate. I am thinking that there is a link between having a food or drink substance on an empty stomach but I feel as if I don't know what is a safe thing for me to eat in the first place. I was hoping that identifying something in the chocolate might help me narrow down what other foods hit me. I generally don't skip any meals but generally suffer anyway. I've also noticed more undigested food particles in my stools (sesame seeds, seeds from chilies, seeds from wholegrain mustard, diced onion, fried garlic, oats) but I don't know if there has been an increase or just that I am looking for them more.

#4 BQ

BQ

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14427 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:55 PM

Yeah... but.... sometimes it just isn't about What we eat.... it is more THAT we eat. Can't always connect everything back to foods....
Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

#5 Celane

Celane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:57 PM

I have a history of IBS. During the past six months my symptoms have change from an occassional stitch-like pain under my lower left rib to a constant dull ache in the same spot. I have had blood, urine, gluten tests and an ultrasound where the results have all been clear. I have kept a food diary but have not managed to find anything that is a consistent trigger food, though have been suspicous for many years of onion or garlic powder being a problem. That's the in a nutshell account of my IBS. On Friday I skipped lunch and later in the afternoon ate some dark chocolate. Shortly after my stomach was crampy and groany. My stool was very small, pellet-like and a dark green, and wet with mucus. This is not my regular IBS result but has happened occassionaly. I am thinking that this is a result of eating on an empty stomach and/or having a slight intolerance to dark chocolate. I am still suffering from stomach pain 48hrs later. My question is has anyone come across dark chocolate as a a trigger food? I have found information on milk chocolate but not dark.

#6 Celane

Celane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:04 PM

Hi there - I think its the dark chocolate. That's how I've stumbled on the website - I searched chocolate and IBS. I have been monitoring my food over the past 3 weeks and have decided that chocolate and in particular dark chocolate is what causes my problems. Not so much the pain on my left side, but with horrendous wind and diarrhoea to the point where it's just clear water. I don't know though whether its the cocoa or the sugars but I suspect sugars as I can't tollerate artificial sweetners - they give me the same problem, and I have also read that some sugars draw fluid into the bowel and thats what causes the diarrhoea. Hope this helps

#7 Daithi

Daithi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 12:47 AM

Ive had a very similar experience to yourself 3 times in the last year. At first i put it down to my new job and increased stress. I had the stitch pain for a few days and dull pain for about a month, losing appetite compleatly. Also had one bout of green stool. Very bad wind also. First doctor visit told me it may be ibs. It was the first time it was mentioned for me. Second doctor told me more likely to be a viral infection.

Second time it happened i realised i had dark chocolate before it both times. I couldnt pinpoint any other common factor. It didnt last as long this time. So i didnt see a doctor.

This week i had some icecream and didnt realise there was dark chocolate in it. Here i am back with the same pains and wind again.

Just did some reading and sounds like it could be a result of intollerence to some common additives to dark chocolate, especially the 'lower quality' or 'cheaper' ones. As i eat quite a bit of milk chocolate with no problems, i doubt its the cocoa thats the problem.

Any recommendations on releaving the pain?

#8 Poppie

Poppie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 05:29 PM

Hi,
I know this was years ago but I just found this post on a DuckDuckGo search and set up an account on here as a result. I believe I have a cocoa intolerance! I love chocolate and often crave it but it makes me feel irritable, a bit bloated with smelly gas and loose stools. Dark chocolate makes me headachey, drained and feel quite ill and makes me feel panicky and keeps me up at night. Its a shame but no matter how much I crave it, it really doesnt seem to agree with my body! It cant be the milk as I react more strongly to milk-free dark chocolate and cant be the sugar as there isnt much in dark choc. I also had very bad IBS from a sugar-free chocolate that was sweetened with stevia so I believe its the cocoa. Oh well, if I dont have chocolate for long enough, Im sure Ill no longer crave it.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here