Backpacking Europe, Any Tips?! - Traveling with a Health Condition - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Backpacking Europe, Any Tips?!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cdawn

cdawn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:38 PM

Advertisement
Hey Everyone! I will be taking a 5 week trip around Europe with my hubby in September and I am already getting anxiety about being stuck in a crowded area and not being able to find available bathrooms etc. They typical IBS-D worries! We are going to be doing a lot of moving around, we plan to go to Ireland, England, Amsterdam, a bit through Germany, Austria, Italy and end in Spain. I LOVE traveling and somehow have managed to backpack thailand and central america, and just seemed to deal with it. I do not want my IBS to ever stop be from traveling! Has anyone ever been to these places in Europe, and if so, how easy is it to find a restroom? What are the restrooms like on the trains, are there even any? Are there always big line-ups?? (I think we will be doing quite a bit of train traveling) We are even planning on going to Oktoberfest in Munich, and I know with the huge crowds that might be a tough one for me. Anyone been to Oktoberfest before? I'd love all the tips, advice, and experiences I can get to prepare myself! I tend to manage pretty well for the most part, I take probiotics which have hugely helped my symptoms, and I always have immodium with me when traveling, but usually if I find myself in an unfamiliar place, and don't know where an available washroom is, the anxiety alone can usually send me into a flare-up! :blink: Thanks a bunch!

#2 sharky2981

sharky2981

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:44 PM

Hello! I went to Europe on my honeymoon and was able to find bathrooms pretty much anywhere you would find them in the US. Look for signs that say WC (water closet). The train I took in Germany did have a bathroom, but I'm not sure if all trains have them. It was clean and there was no line. I loved Amsterdam! Beautiful city. Any restaurant or bar will have a bathroom you can use as well as some hotels you can duck into. Some places in Europe have public bathrooms on the street, small buildings marked with the WC. I hope you have a great time! I know how tough it can be to travel, but it will be worth it.

#3 Jmlh1

Jmlh1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:13 PM

I have similar fears with travelling. Toilets aren't generally too bad in the uk. You can help yourself by signing up for a radar key - costs about 4- which gives you access to about 9000 locked disabled bathrooms across the whole of the uk. Google it! Let me know how you get on with the rest of your journey x

#4 overitnow

overitnow

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6019 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:58 PM

I have traveled to Germany, England, Ireland, and Italy. The worst problems centred on lineups and always carry a euro for subway and on the street toilets. In Germany, look for D on the women's door (H for men). Have a great time.Mark
My story of beating IBS and my other chronic conditions: http://www.ibsgroup....total-wellness/

#5 cdawn

cdawn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:41 PM

Thanks everyone! I'll have to look up this key too! I'm looking forward to our trip, just trying not to stress out too much so I can enjoy it, and my hubby! :)

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here