THE GREAT LIST OF REMEDIES! - Page 2 - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

THE GREAT LIST OF REMEDIES!

• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#21 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11525 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:26 AM

catlover--yes, i get diarrahea too with the mom/stimulant combo but thankfully for me it's a tolerable d--neither prolonged nor beyond my control --i'd rather be this way than miserably constipated and backed up. but yes it sure would be terrific to just have a colon that worked properly, wouldn't it.i suppose you've tried taking a smaller dose of mom. or maybe adding a bit more fiber to your diet to help offset the mom and bulk your stool up a bit til you get the desired consistency. it's somewhat of a balancing act, i've found...and kind of tricky.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#22 TheOutlookChild

TheOutlookChild

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:41 AM

Ive been taking traditional chinese medecine and I have to say......its magical. If you can find a practioner, check them out.

#23 Maple12

Maple12

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:44 PM

Hi, I'm new to the group and glad I found it. Also glad I'm not the only one with these problems. Been plagued for years (like 30). Been laxative dependent for most of them. There is a tea I take from Republic of Tea called (don't laugh) "Get It Going." Have to admit I actually take my ducolax pills with the tea, and sometimes put a dose of Miralax in it, and that helped for a long time. Then stopped working totally about two weeks ago. My friend at work suggested MOM, which certainly worked, but is causing me extreme bloat and gas. Don't know which is worse.

#24 Maple12

Maple12

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:17 AM

I wanted to start a comprehensive list of food, herbal, medical, and physical remedies that have helped people in the past. Anything that has worked for IBS-C. I am in a really bad bout right now and that is what I am looking for. Many people come to this site looking for information that can help when everything else fails so I thought this might be a good idea. I will start the list. Things that have worked for me at some point: Herbal: Senna Leaf. Medical: Lactulose, polyglycol 3350, Ducolax, copious amounts of sea salt water. Food: Hemp Hearts, Spinach, Licorice, Prunes, strawberries, watermelon. Physical: Extended walks.Stuff that did not work: Chlorella. Colostrum.

#25 TheOutlookChild

TheOutlookChild

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:17 AM

Magnesium hydroxide helps. (Milk of Magnesia)

#26 oceannir

oceannir

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:25 AM

Magnesium hydroxide helps. (Milk of Magnesia)

is epsom salts and milk of magnesia any different or are they the same thing?

#27 Maple12

Maple12

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:50 AM

I have found several items that work as preventative--I use them on time everyday rather than after symptoms appear.1. Republic of Tea--Orange Ginger Mint, also called After Meal Tea. I use two bags in 12 oz of hot water after every meal or snack. Soothing 2. Citrucel--two caplets after breakfast and two after dinner. Keeps bowels soft and moving daily3. Simethicone (Gas-X) before each meal 1 gel cap 120 mg--a mild antispasmodic, reduces cramping and prevents a lot of gas--not 100% but at least 70%4. Probiotics daily5. Get a list of fruit fructose content and try to stick with the recommended list. Google Fructose malabsorption 6. Candied ginger lumps--comes in packs of pieces about 1/2 inch. PRN--when needed immediately--keep in purse to use discreetlyAfter isolating myself for months due to daily distracting pain from the bloating, gas, and gnawing feeling, I'm getting comfortable that I can manage to live with the constant low level of discomfort that these items have provided.
  • Gooby and mike2468 like this

#28 Maple12

Maple12

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:33 AM

Miserableme, Both squashes I either boil or roast with olive oil and usually pumpkin pie spices. Sometimes when I don't have time for fresh, I use plain pumpkin from the can. Always like to have it on hand.

#29 Maple12

Maple12

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:34 AM

How much pumpkin do you eat? does it require large quantities?

#30 Hugsmetite

Hugsmetite

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:34 PM

Pumpkin as in like canned pumpkin or pie filling?

#31 elm00

elm00

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:12 PM

I would like to know a little about magnesium; I have read on the net that it can cause constipation instead... I tried magnesium nutrition pills from a health store a while ago, and it felt like my C got worse?! Did I imagine, or is the milk of magnesia not pure ordinary magnesium? What does it contain of? Would like to buy something similar, cause we don't have the MOM here...

#32 CherECoz

CherECoz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:35 PM

Well, as you all know, nothing WORKS all the time but her's my list of what HELPS from most** help to least ( for the least help, it does help when used in combination):The first 3 on this list I do EVERY day)-***Magnesium CITRATE (400-500 mg) (has to be CITRATE which you can get at a natural food store or online)- daliy prunes (in combo with mag citrate & Benefiber- at least 2 servings of Benefiber (or another generic SOLUABLE fiber....Metamucil binds me up!)These are added to the above, as needed:-ground flax seed every 3-4 days-2 oz Aloe juice with breakfast-whole grains-cabbage, raw pea pod, raw carrots-watermelon, canteloupe-raisens -Dulcolax suppositories-glycerin suppositories-Warm water enema bag (the whole bag) when all else fails!

#33 jarvi

jarvi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:31 PM

I would like to know a little about magnesium; I have read on the net that it can cause constipation instead... I tried magnesium nutrition pills from a health store a while ago, and it felt like my C got worse?! Did I imagine, or is the milk of magnesia not pure ordinary magnesium? What does it contain of? Would like to buy something similar, cause we don't have the MOM here...

Different kinds of magnesium are used in different pills, and there are also differences in how the they are absorbed. Milk of magnesia contains magnesium hydroxide, but I don't know whether that's available in a pill form, in any case I've read that it is better for treating "occasional" constipation. I remember reading that magnesium oxide was recommended for constipation (apparently this is less well absorbed than the chloride version, but I also remember reading someone claim that in order to help with constipation it doesn't necessarily need to absorb but to just come through your colon - I don't know whether I remember this correctly though). I've been using it myself and it worked at least for a while. I was using only 250 mg before, it took the constipation away for a while and stomach pain for much longer. I didn't take any for a while, but started again with a bigger dose (600 mg), that seems to work pretty well so far for constipation (though I am dealing with a lot of stomach pain again...).

#34 CherECoz

CherECoz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:42 PM

The mag CITRATE is more absorbable than the magnesium you can get at a regular drugstore. Get the Solgar Mag Citrate and start with 2 caplets 200 mg each). The citrate is the same stuff in HIGH doses found in laxative section of drugstores in liquid form in bottles. Doctors use it for cleansing. One doc told me I could just take a sip of it each night but it's much easier in the caplet or capsule form. It is not a laxative though; it's a safe supplement and also good for bones and nerves. It is not a stimulant either since it works by bringing water into colon. I have had IBS -c for 30 + years and it has helped more than anything. I still need my prunes, nightly juice, probiotic ( I prefer Digestive Advantage IBS) and soluable fiber & griund flax, and because this disease IS IRRITABLE, I also get spells when I have to resort to laxatives ( Dulcolax suppositories), glycerin suppositories, senna tea and an enema every once in awhile. You are safer to use Phillips caplets instead of MOM since it Is not a stimulant. I used it for awhile but it stopped working. That was when I found out about the mag citrate being more absorbable.

#35 elm00

elm00

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:30 PM

Thanks a lot!! I'll buy the solgar tablets as soon as possible!! Ok, hmm...but what's the difference between hydroxide and citrate...? Or do they work in the same way.....?I'm glad to hear that it has worked so well for so many of you!!Is 400-600mg per day the amount that is enough to help the C, and how long time does it take usually to see any results?Thanks!

#36 DAD

DAD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:45 PM

OUTLOOK CHILD -Eat some of these items people have recommended that you feel would work for you, BUT you are NOT allergic to.If you don't know what you are NOT allergic to, you should know what I would recommend by now.One-half to one cantaloupe a day can help ... fresh ripe Bing and Queen-Anne cherries in season or frozen can help ... bananas can help or any fresh fruit in season can help if you are NOT allergic to it.Drink plenty of fluids, especially water each day.Exercise where you constantly move your abdoman as in walking can only help, but believe it or not, some people are actually allergic to that too, probably mostly mentally.DAD

#37 CherECoz

CherECoz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:10 AM

Elm.... Starting out, I took 500 of the mag oxide that I bought at a pharmacy and it helped for awhile. Gradually I had to increase to 1000 and then more. Ai it stopped working. Then I read somewhere on this board that the citrate would be absorbed They were correct! Daily I use 400-500 mg. That is 2 of Solgars caplets but use 2 1/2 when needed. Start with the 2 unless you are really backed up. If that's the case start with 2 1-2 and it should help by morning. I take it with dinner so it works in morning. Keep in mind that I also eat 5-8 prunes or some prune juice before bed with a probiotic and benefiber with meals 2-2x/day. You have to experiment for you but take the mag every day. When I travel I take the Chinese senna tabags too and glycerin suppositories. Let me know how it goes. Also remember I'd you get a flare because I'd travel or change in daily routine, it may take a week or so to get back on track.Oh yeah and use ground flax seed at least a few Tim's a week.

#38 elm00

elm00

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:00 PM

Thanks! Yes, I guess ill have to experiment the combinations...I tried prunes some year ago, but only prunes that time, and they didn't work.... I guess ill have to combine... I also tried physillium, and that didn't work either, alone...Something strange is that fiber made of the guar plant DID work amazingly well.... But that brand is quite expensive here...when I took that fiber I felt ok... But as said, very expensive!I have tried senna tablets 49mg/tablet * 4 tablets, and that did nothing!!! I didn't even felt them! Same thing with the chemical laxative Dulcolax (bisakodyl) - they did nothing for my C! Incredible! ;) Usually they effect people...but not me...Ringt now I'm using:* Enzyme pills - once a day* Probiotics - once a day* Vitamin B + zink * Lactulose (even if it helps poorly compared to the guar fiber)* Fibers containing StercualiagumSTILL my tummy is constipated most of the time.So ill buy the solgar! And something else I have been thinking about; everybody here are talking about different teas, but at the health store they told me that tea is usually very mild, and not tough enough for constipation.... Or where do you buy your teas? And what do they contain?Something else I thought about is laquorice..does that usually help?

#39 elm00

elm00

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:19 PM

And one more thought; I have read at this forum that many of you with C, eat foods that actually are fodmap-food...for example prunes (as much as i know)...are forbidden... Does this mean that pure Fodmap diet is not completely suitable for the IBS-C because it doesn't help it much enough...?

#40 jayham

jayham

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:53 PM

One Fiber One chewy bar every morning for breakfast. I'm AMAZED at the difference it has made in my life!!
  • Sunshine696 likes this

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here