THE GREAT LIST OF REMEDIES! - Page 3 - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

THE GREAT LIST OF REMEDIES!

• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#41 elm00

elm00

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:25 PM

Last week I bought both magnesium citrate and magnesium hydroxid in the health store. I had called them right before I went there and asked them if they have the solgar one, and they said yes...but when I arrived there they said that it must have been a misunderstanding, cause they only have two other brands....and that the citrate was for muscle relaxation and the hydroxid for the tummy... (But when I had looked it up on the net, you CAN use the citrate for the constipation too..). I don't know why they said so, but I decided to try both.. I've started with magnesium hydroxid, and the c have improved for maybe 30% during one week, but then I take about 6 tablets per day, and that's over 600-700 mg....Now I'm worried to get used to the magnesium, could it stop working because you use it so much??

#42 MajaSol

MajaSol

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:52 PM

I really want to share my story with people out there suffering with IBS. Maybe I can help some of you.I have been suffering since I was I little girl with IBS: pain, going from almost being totally constipated, to having lot of pain and diarea. The pain was the worst, going to the toilet is not the worst I think. The doctors have tested me for everything through the years, no test was positive and I was told I have IBS. It was horrible timing my activities to where the nearest toilet is and so on…Not many doctors know this, but you can be reacting to all of the starches and sugars in your diet.Since I started a low carb diet 1,5 years ago, I stopped eating flour and sugar - I noticed my stomach problems being less and less. And now they are totally GONE. I have never tested positive for any coeliacia/coeliac disease… And I am not allergic to wheat...And now about 40 pounds of weight is gone as well..At the same time I have been eating low carb I have increased my intake of fibers, they help, but removing flour and sugar has helped the most. Eating fibers like acacia fibers, chia seeds, and psyllium husks… (they are easy to include in low carb recipies)Humans (some of us) are not built to take in flours and sugars, and our gut are screaming that we are hurting our guts.. (that’s how I see it) Now my gut are not constantly irritated – they are relaxed - and it can stand things I could not eat before, like some seeds and youghurt(sugar free). For sweetening I use stevia or erythritol… (they don’t effect blood sugars)I couldn’t begin to describe how good it feels to finally have a normal stomach!!! I still find it strange to be this normal! Not a single flare up for about one year! (Used to have problems from 1 a week to 2-3 a month – ups and down periods)Maybe this is not a cure for everybody, but at least you should know about it!!And if any of you out there tries this and have good/bad experiences let me know!Hugs from me in Norway! Wanted to spread the word! :)
  • TheOutlookChild, Dreamcatcher32, Luna93 and 1 other like this

#43 elm00

elm00

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:22 PM

Hallo Maja! I hope you have "sol" in Norway cause here it's only raining... ;)Sounds really good that the low carb diet works for you! But how do you eat than, what kinds of carbs do you eat to have the fibers? Do you eat any rice, cereals or potatoes....or fruits??Right now I'm on my fourth day of Fodmap, and the gas is almost all gone but NOT the constipation.... According to the Fodmap you'll have to eat some food that you maybe usually don't eat, I'm not that used to rice and bananas but now I had to change all apples and pears to bananas and wheat to rice... Feels like my tummy is more constipated than before, I don't know... Right now I'm very confused and feel discomfort... :( could the Fodmap make the c even worse...?

#44 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:41 PM

elm--yes for some of us, fodmap does make our constipation worse. it did that for me-it made my c much worse. i do need some fiber to go--not a lot--but i couldn't get that from the strict fodmap diet--and fiber supplements like konsyl don't agree with me--they just back me up more. i also have reflux and was not able to eat the higher fiber citrus-y fruits that are allowed in fodmap. as Kathleen mentioned (thanks, Kathleen!) fodmaps not only have fiber but also have compounds that in addition to being a bit gassy also draw more water into the stool and so tend to loosen stools all of which help relieve constipation. and i know this diet has helped many people and is definitely worth trying but strict fodmap just made my c worse.you could maybe add back some the foods you cut out and see if that helps. or take a fiber supplement like konsyl..it takes some experimentation sometimes. good luck!

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#45 tummyrumbles

tummyrumbles

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:51 PM

My constipation is the delayed contraction type which takes a couple of hours to cycle through, so as long as I sit it out I'm basically OK. Diet doesn't really seem to have much effect on the number of contractions, which seem more related to how much food I eat rather than the type of food. Some months ago it only took me 1 hour to evacuate but I ate very little the previous day. I have to be careful not to have too much fibre as that irritates the colon and delays evacuation even more. I don't take any meds as they cause more damage than good. So basically my cure for the "leaky gas" type of constipation I have is just staying there and waiting it out.

My Wordpress blog: http://ibsnaturalcure.wordpress.com

#46 Lookin'foraLife

Lookin'foraLife

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

I agree,only MAGNESIUM CITRATE from SOLGAR has helped me.But I need 1000mg every night. Causes D in the morning, but I'm okay with that.Only other thing that's amazing is fresh PAPAYA (when it's in season).

#47 Sugatree87

Sugatree87

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:30 PM

Yoga (they have routines specifically for IBS & stress), probiotics, avoiding syptom causing foods, peppermint tea.
  • bebapichewa likes this

#48 Poet Marilyn

Poet Marilyn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:40 PM

After reading your post list of remedies....and thank you BTW. I've noticed that alot of you use senna or other laxatives. I very recently had a colonoscopy and the gastro doc pointed out tissue damage from senna and other lax's that I have been talking but not abusing. He wants me to get off the lax's completely. Are any of you concerned about this side effect?

Yes, the same thing happened to me. My colon was coated black from cascara in Super Cleanse. I was fine on Zelnorm, but I only have 3 months' worth left, and don't know what I"m going to do.

#49 elm00

elm00

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:01 AM

Ok, I found magnesium citrate but another brand, cause they didn't had the solgar... But on the package it's recommended to take 315 mg per serving, or half a teaspoon per day....nothing more is written about how much you can take....But is it safe to take up to 1000mg as you take...if it is, I'd try that......

#50 Bluesprite333

Bluesprite333

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:18 AM

I've found the FODMAP diet, generally speaking, helps the most for me. I also avoid milk products, wheat - basically any kind of bread or cereal, and sugar. I can eat applesauce fine - even though I know apples are a bit no no in the FODMAP world. I cannot eat nuts :-( or nut butters too well. My gut goes crazy on dried fruits, nuts, beans and bran or wheat cereals (the worst!). I just ate a bunch of lima beans yesterday, and now today, I'm still paying the price with painful gas and sluggish bowels...it's like when I eat these things my system just shuts down. Nothing moves, but gas is created- and goes nowhere but hurts. I have found plantain chips are my saving grace...don't ask me why - but plantain chips are miracle workers. I dunno about plain raw plantains - but the chips are great. I can't eat onions - get horrible heartburn with those - (raw onions that is...cooked seem better tolerated). I do my best when I eat a kind of "paleo" diet - no sugars, no grains - however unlike paleo I can't eat nuts. Or seeds. Or popcorn. I don't think popcorn in paleo, but popcorn, nuts, seeds, dried fruits, beans, etc kill me. Basically all these "high fiber" foods which are supposed to be good for you - turn my bowels into a twisted mess. :-/ Oh - and probiotics def. help for me. Along with high levels of Vit C (to relieve constipation).

#51 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:46 AM

When you cook fruits like apples (and pears, peaches, plums and cherries) the sorbitol in them which is the no-no part is destroyed, so that makes it less gassy. Drying the fruits is usually not enough heat.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#52 elm00

elm00

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:57 PM

I have realized that I maybe don't take much enough of the Probiotics and the enzymes.I take;Holistic Cellenzymes 1 capsule per day, in eveningGreat Earth ultra duo dophilus probiotics, 1 capsule in evening.I need help to compare! I haven't find any balance yet... Which BRANDS do you use and how much do you take per day? Does these two effect the C, or only gas? I'd really like to find a good balance, but there are SO many brands and they can contain different things....

#53 Badtummygirl

Badtummygirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:49 PM

The ONLY thing that has worked for me is Fiber One cereal...the ORIGINAL brand. I've tried the others..none of them work except for the original brand. I've been trying to cut gluten out of my diet but my digestion just has not been the same. Starting tomorrow, I'm going back to my Original Fiber One cereal. When I eat this, I go...every day (but it takes a week or two to get started). I've been miserable trying all these other things to go...none of it's working. So, I guess the saying is true "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"!Good Luck Everyone!

#54 Tiss

Tiss

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2243 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:39 PM

I would like to know a little about magnesium; I have read on the net that it can cause constipation instead... I tried magnesium nutrition pills from a health store a while ago, and it felt like my C got worse?! Did I imagine, or is the milk of magnesia not pure ordinary magnesium? What does it contain of? Would like to buy something similar, cause we don't have the MOM here...

Elm, I use Nature's Way Magnesium Complex. I buy it from vitacost--pretty cheap. I take anywhere from 1000mg to 1500mg. My doctor told me not to go over 1000mg a day so I stick to that unless I get backed up. These are capsules so I take 4-6 at night along with 1000mg of vitamin C, also from Nature's Way.
Tiss

#55 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:47 AM

...bumping this thread up for those of you who haven't seen it. it does have a lot of helpful ideas in it.

hopefully some of us could add to it and keep it going...

suggestions from a list i have of things that people have said worked for them:

mag ox, mag07, natural calm

Doctor's Best 100% Chelated Magnesium

Mag citrate powder --"Now" brand no sugar no additives from Swanson online

bluebonnet liquid magnesium citrate

renew life constipation stop

dr schultz intestinal formula #1

renew life cleanse more

fiber gummies

cayenne pepper pills--capiscool is what was recommended. i have GERD so i can't try this..but quite a few people on another board i read have said it's helped them.

eating kiwi fruit or papaya.

drinking coconut water (drill a hole in the coconut and drink the juice, is what she recommended)

also--this video on how to have a bowel movement without straining.  the PT in this video has a lot of good suggestions, quite similar to those my own biofeedback PT told me:

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#56 tummyrumbles

tummyrumbles

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 07:49 PM

Reducing man-made starches is the most important thing to do, but the hardest. Refined starch is probably the cause of IBS and bowel inflammation in general. Finding a healing diet is difficult because all carbohydrates feed bacteria. I'm back on salads now but I introduced them very gradually. Refined starches like breads, crackers, puddings and white rice can promote inflammatory bacteria and liposaccharides, which lead to dysbiosis and a gradual worsening of symptoms. We need to try to rebalance the bacterial flora by starving the bad or inflammatory bacteria. This means not only excluding refined starches (forever) but reducing high FODMAP vegetables (temporarily) until the colon bacteria normalises. High FODMAP veges aren't a toxic food in themselves and we should aim to start eating them again one day. But any refined starch that causes constipation will cause worsening IBS symptoms no matter what kind of IBS you have. We need to stop eating all inflammatory foods.

• annie7, camera~shy and mike2468 like this

My Wordpress blog: http://ibsnaturalcure.wordpress.com

#57 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:10 AM

thanks, Tummyrumbles. i was hoping you would post. :-)

#58 Dreamcatcher32

Dreamcatcher32

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 03:39 PM

For cramping I take Bentyl before each meal (anti-spasmotic) and helps my muscles from going into spasm. I did biofeedback at Mayo Clinic for pelvic floor dysfunction (50% of those with constipation have a tense pelvic floor) and that has helped the most. I take Iberogast and for stomach pain and this helps quite a bit. I also use ice on my stomach at night, which makes the pain more tolerable and the muscles relax. I take epsom salt baths and also focus on relaxing my pelvic floor and tummy muscles constantly throughout the day. Sometimes I'll take Baclofen but it doesn't offer much relief anymore, as I'm pretty used to it. I do yoga stretches to lengthen the pelvic floor muscles and also my stomach muscles. I do find stomach massage is helpful but can make it worse. Acupuncture has been quite helpful and so has myofascial release. After one of these sessions, my stomach is totally relaxed. I will also say that Digestive Enzymes by Essential Enzymes have been helpful for gassy foods.

I use Aloe Vera Inner Filler gel before meals when I know I am going to be eating something binding. I sometimes use coconut oil or olive oil in between meals. 2 tbs molasses in the morning will get you going, so can olive oil. I can't 'just have' fibers or fruits/veggies in a day. I have to have some source of protein or fats to stimulate peristalsis. I also work-out for at least 30 min a day to stimulate blood flow. 

Fibers can help some, especially if followed by a good 800 mg of high quality Magnesium. I find the liquid form (Bluebonnet or Lifetime) works best for me. Soluble fiber loosens stool and insoluble firms it up. Soluble fiber can be constipating, so a person needs to be careful. What constipates one person will not constipate another and what works for one person won't work for the other. It's all about finding your body's balance and working with it as it changes or gets used to things.

I was told by Mayo Clinic to not use laxatives more than 1x every 3 days. They shouldn't be used more than this unless otherwise prescribed by your doc. It is perfectly okay to go 2-3 days without having a BM, though it may be uncomfortable for some. It will not harm you.

#59 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2142 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:35 AM

Prune juice works for me, but I cannot stop going and after about 5 or 6 movements a day cannot take it anymore. (It hurts my exist zone, as I like to call it.)

#60 Nuffa

Nuffa

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 18 January 2015 - 04:40 PM

Sauerkraut juice helps quite a bit.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here