17 hour road trip & my IBS-D survival guide - Traveling with a Health Condition - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

17 hour road trip & my IBS-D survival guide

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 littlelace

littlelace

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:13 PM

Advertisement
The other day I posted a topic about how to survive a road trip with IBS-D. My "relationship" with IBS-D started when I was 15 when I drank the wrong water somehow at some place - unknown and I have even terrified of going out and about which lead to anxiety stress which eventually moulded itself into IBS-D. Horrible. Nothing helped, if I get anxious about getting to a restroom it gets worse.As many probably know that URGE to get to a rest room ASAP... In my case it's bad gas, very BAD D, or sit on the toilet for a while until it all comes out. My road trip was with my husbands family who don't know about my IBS. My husband doesn't know it either.. I'm still embarrassed about it - which I know I shouldn't be. I've told them I have "digestion issues". I also get carsick. We rented a van, a 12 seater. We had ... 12 passengers all of which are his family members. I was so scared. So this is what I did. We were leaving Thursday night. So on Tuesday I decided to ease up on what I think are gassy food trigger foods and no soda. Water all day and night. Wednesday I ate very little.. Broth here and there NO soda. Thursday I barely ate I couldn't cause I was so nervous. And we left .... I took motion sickness tablets and two AD's. Had some "depends" with me incase I felt icky. Thank god cars need gas! So every four hours I would skip to the toilet. As I also get carsick I didn't eat during the trip.. And his family pushed for me to eat but I didn't. "carsick" was my excuse for being mute. I didn't eat until lunch the next day. People might think this is too extreme but when it's not your own family it's hard to be open... I ate a light lunch so that my stomach didn't freak out! For dinner I had crab. Nice portion not too heavy. As it was Easter on Sunday and we were leaving at 4am Monday morning (when I get up my IBS is the worst) I didn't want to feast up Sunday although I was tempted. I took ADs every night before bed and one when we were going out sightseeing. The drive home was the same "carsick" ADs and luckily I "went" right before we left (when everyone was climbing into the van). Thankfully the AD made my bm very good almost like a normal persons! Which boosted my confidence as made my ride home comfortable laughing and talking. I know it's getting nice out and a lot of people may venture out road tripping. I wanted you all to know it can be done! I don't have confidence just yet but it's nice to know I can somewhat control it even though you may have to sacrifice eating normal portions but it's better than accidents. .... Ha but I'm in no hurry to do it again just yet! I also made sure I didn't have to climb over anybody to get out of the van as well.

#2 BQ

BQ

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14427 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:30 AM

You did great! Congratulations! I think the next time you perhaps should eat a bit more but for the first time with a family you didn't know very well and for such a long trip.... you are an inspiration! Now take the confidence you earned on this trip and remember to use it with any future trips!PS I moved this to our Travelling with a Health Condition Forum so others travelling will see it!
Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

#3 littlelace

littlelace

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:54 AM

Oh thank you for moving it to te traveling forum! Im new and didn't realize it! Thank you! I should of ate more I know... But it was my first time and I didn't want to overdo it all :) I feelt better now! I try and not use the AD a lot only when it's very bad or when I have to do things all day. Thank you so much for the comment! It's hard to bring up such an unpleasant topic to people you don't really know. It's not a joke but they may not find it as serious as it is for me.. I'm hoping to be more active this year as my daughter is 1 and should be taken to places while it's warm out. The small walks outside (1hr) also does my mind well. I emailed my mom as soon as I got home to tell her my tummy was fine! And she was extremely happy for me too ;) thanks for your support and this forum site. I no longer feel alone!

#4 weebur

weebur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 20 February 2016 - 08:47 AM

Congratulation, glad you got through it!!! When I travel I don't eat the whole day to avoid the toilet, I also take travel sickness tablets as for me they really really really help, they make you sleepy, put you I a relaxed mode. So you sleep for most of the journey.

I make sure I drink water though and when ive got to my destination then I eat, as I have to I guess!! I can't take immodium any more, my doc said not too as it's better toilet it come out. You see I have diverticulosis as well. Apparently most IBS - D sufferers develop it, so guess that's me.

Any way glad you got through the above xx

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here