Resotran (prucalopride) for constipation approved for use in Canada - Constipation Prescription Medications - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Resotran (prucalopride) for constipation approved for use in Canada

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jeffrey Roberts

Jeffrey Roberts

Member #1 Founder

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7295 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:32 PM

Advertisement
On December 7, 2011, Health Canada issued a Notice of Compliance to Janssen Inc. for the drug product, Resotran™.Resotran™ contains the medicinal ingredient prucalopride, as prucalopride succinate, which is an enterokinetic agent.Resotran™ is indicated for the treatment of chronic idiopathic constipation in adult female patients in whom laxatives failed to provide adequate relief.There were an insufficient number of male patients in the clinical trials to demonstrate efficacy.The efficacy of prucalopride has been established in double-blind, placebo-controlled studies for up to 3 months. In case of prolonged treatment, the benefit should be re-assessed at regular intervals.If treatment with prucalopride is not effective during the first 4 weeks, therapy should be discontinued.Resotran™ increases the frequency of bowel movements to provide a feeling of complete evacuation by stimulating peristalsis, the muscular contractions of the gut needed for bowel movements.More >>Source: Health Canada

#2 Matilda001

Matilda001

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:49 PM

I have recently started prucolapride. Whilst I have noticed a definite improvent in the number of bowel movements I am having, I feel that the 'waste' seems to get stuck lower down and no matter how hard I try I cannot push it out. I also have seepage and have to wear a pad as I seem to involuntarily release some waste without me knowing and its only when I go to the toilet i realise. I have also noted that I am passing more gas, which is good as it was always trapped with the fecal matter. So its early days, and if I perhaps increase the dose then that might help with the final part of helping to expel the waste....

#3 Jeffrey Roberts

Jeffrey Roberts

Member #1 Founder

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7295 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:40 AM

Thanks for sharing your situation. Please keep us posted how you make out with it.Jeff

#4 ilana8472

ilana8472

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:35 PM

Hi,I was just prescribed Resotran as well, to treat my Visceral Hypersensitivity. My gastro said that even though it's noted use is to treat constipation, that he's had a lot of success using it for his patients with my condition. I should note, that I do also experience constipation, and diarrhea as well. Matilda, I was wondering how you've found the drug to be working for you and if anyone knows or has heard anything about Resotran being used for visceral hypersensitivity? I'm kind of at the end of my rope with my health situation and am definitely willing to try almost anything.Thanks,Ilana

#5 tableandchairs

tableandchairs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:03 PM

Hello, I started a thread about my Prucalopride experience in the IBS-C forum. Here is the link if you would like to follow my experience. I just started the tablets today!http://www.ibsgroup....mples-tomorrow/

#6 tableandchairs

tableandchairs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:06 PM

Hi,I was just prescribed Resotran as well, to treat my Visceral Hypersensitivity. My gastro said that even though it's noted use is to treat constipation, that he's had a lot of success using it for his patients with my condition. I should note, that I do also experience constipation, and diarrhea as well. Matilda, I was wondering how you've found the drug to be working for you and if anyone knows or has heard anything about Resotran being used for visceral hypersensitivity? I'm kind of at the end of my rope with my health situation and am definitely willing to try almost anything.Thanks,Ilana

Would love an update with how Resotran is working for you!

#7 RUTHIEUK

RUTHIEUK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 18 January 2015 - 03:49 AM

Hi Matilda

Are you still using Prucalopride as just seen your post from 2012?    Hope it's helped - I've just been give 1mg as over 66 yrs so am interested to know about side e ffects etc.   Thanks

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here