IBS and your loved ones - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

IBS and your loved ones

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 AliceK

AliceK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:50 AM

Advertisement
My husband has had IBS for about a year now. I try to be patient with what he is going through and have tried everything I can to help him feel better. I feel I am at my wits end and am VERY frustrated. He is now missing about 2-3 days of work per week and it is effecting our income and his job. Not to mention the family outtings that don't occur anymore. How has IBS affected your relationships with your loved ones, significant others and your work?

#2 BQ

BQ

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14427 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:06 PM

Alice has your husband joined up here? What are his worst symptoms? Also do you know what he has tried to manage his symptoms?
Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

#3 BQ

BQ

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14427 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:07 PM

Also have you seen this brochure for family members?http://www.ibsgroup.org/brochures/Aboutibs.pdf
Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

#4 Dreyfuss

Dreyfuss

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

My husband has had IBS for about a year now. I try to be patient with what he is going through and have tried everything I can to help him feel better. I feel I am at my wits end and am VERY frustrated. He is now missing about 2-3 days of work per week and it is effecting our income and his job. Not to mention the family outtings that don't occur anymore. How has IBS affected your relationships with your loved ones, significant others and your work?

If your husband feels like me, I would imagine he is feeling quite guilty. I feel that I am letting everyone down and of no use to my family. I cannot take care of anyone else if I am in this shape.

#5 AliceK

AliceK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:05 PM

If your husband feels like me, I would imagine he is feeling quite guilty. I feel that I am letting everyone down and of no use to my family. I cannot take care of anyone else if I am in this shape.

Yes, he does feel bad and I feel horrible for him. I am trying to come to terms that this is not going to "go away". He has not joined this site---not likely his kind of thing. But I need answers. He is on Librex (spell?) with some relief. He is also a high anxiety kind of guy who is also a social worker with a high stess job. I think he internalizes a lot of stress and it has now manifested itself as IBS ? I don't know. His colonoscopy was normal so he was diagnosed with IBS. GI was not helpful at all. I am also a registered dietitian and feel I should be able to "fix" this. We did the FODMAP diet with no relief. He had a very hard time following the no HFC syrup and gluten free at the same time---can't blame him, it is very restrictive. May try again if I have to make everything from scratch---but there is not enough in the stores to make it practical in my opinion. Anyway, we are going to see a PSY in a couple of weeks and if that does not help we will go to a local university medical center with a GI dept that has a IBS unit.

#6 BQ

BQ

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14427 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:50 PM

Sometimes it has nothing to do whith what food we ate it is simply THAT we ate.What are his worst symptoms?

#7 AliceK

AliceK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:28 PM

Sometimes it has nothing to do whith what food we ate it is simply THAT we ate.What are his worst symptoms?

I would say pain is his worst symptom. Sharp pain at the decending colon area (lower left side). A lot of gas and a combo of constipation and diarrhea. Very tired all the time.

#8 jocelynkelly

jocelynkelly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:18 PM

I have had IBS-A going on 20 years. YES it has effected my family and social life. There has been times when I have screamed at my husband to speed home so I could make it to the bathroom on time. Some days are so bad that I am in and out of the bathroom for over an hour. If your husband is anything like me he feels horrible that he has a medical condition that is controlling his life. I have had two things that have help to manage my pain and discomfort from IBS. I have to take Align (probotic) everyday. When the cramping is really bad I take Dicyclomine. Diets really have not worked for me. IBS effects everyone differently.Good Luck with your husbands help!

#9 BQ

BQ

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14427 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:43 PM

Well he can try to keep the pain down with taking the Librax and using peppermint (a natural muscle relaxant). He can also use heat patches that you see for bad backs. A heating pad when at home. Using relaxation techniques, changing any negative thinking into positive thnking (Get the anxiety treated!)I had GREAT succes managing my severe pain with Hypnotherapy. I used the IBS 100 Audioprogram. See our CBT(Cognitive Behavioral Therapy)/Hypnotherapy Forum for more info.If his diet is too restricitve.... that may be why he is so tired. If the FODMAP isn't helping... try something else. Go through our forums for other treatments to try.Is he staying home because of the pain??? If not why is he staying home? What is stopping him from going to work?

#10 paraAdrian

paraAdrian

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:44 PM

I have IBS since the age of sixteen and now I am twenty two and It has being very difficult and It has gotten a bit worse during the past years. I live with my parents and they help me out lots of the time and they understand my pain a bit. I sometimes feel guilty If I have to go out with the family and they don't go cause of me or most of the times even If I am In lots of pain I push myself to go and fight some of this anxiety. I just try to eat less the days I wana do activities so I could feel a bit better cause ones I eat I start feeling sick again. Oh Yeah and I haven't had a girlfriend for the past 4 years cause of my Ibs since I don't go out much just to the gym sometimes . Ibs suck just try to understand him and don't dump him cause he needs your support.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here