Is your pain constant? - Abdominal Pain - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Is your pain constant?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 NYC68

NYC68

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:03 PM

Advertisement
I've been diagnosed with IBS but am worried that I have something worse. My pain is constant (or at least nearly constant). Am scheduled for a colonoscopy next week.Is you pain constant? And can you describe it?
  • Phlatty likes this

#2 erinelizabeth

erinelizabeth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:12 PM

Although everyone's pain is different in amount and area, mine was constant in my right lower abdomen when I was constipated for almost 2 weeks. The colonoscopy prep helped a lot with that! The pain comes and goes now. Where is your pain??

#3 NYC68

NYC68

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:52 PM

My pain is in lower right side and lower left. Also radiating to rectal area and that worries me the most. Ranges from dull pain to cramping or stabbing sensation.

#4 Owen Kellogg

Owen Kellogg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:36 AM

My pain is in lower right side and lower left. Also radiating to rectal area and that worries me the most. Ranges from dull pain to cramping or stabbing sensation.

I first started having pains in my lower left ab, near my hip. The pain spread to my genitals, crotch/rectal area, and left buttock. It was pretty constant for months. It almost felt like a urinary infection. Of course, I was paranoid about it being cancer or something else serious. Urine, stool and blood samples showed no sign of parasites and/or infection. Finally had my colonscopy two weeks ago. Everything clear there. I'm surprised you've been diagnosed with IBS without having the "butt scope". Chances are very likely your situation is the same. Give us an update with the scope results. The prep really sucks, but the procedure itself is a breeze if you don't get nervous.

#5 tnoblay

tnoblay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:00 PM

I have been suffering pretty much constantly for a whole year now and my pain is situated in-between my ribcage right at the top near my sternum. My pain also ranges from the continuously dull pain but also with outburst of severe cramping that make me keel over and usually make me very sick. However abdominal pain is not my only symptom, i also have been finding more and more that my throat tends to close up and i feel light headed and nauseous when I'm having a particularly bad day. But the abdominal pain and sick feeling are probably what affects my life the most. It's got to the extent where wearing underwear or tight clothing hurts me. Anyone else experience this?

#6 Owen Kellogg

Owen Kellogg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:18 PM

I get the tight throat and light-headedness as well. I'm convinced this is completely mental. Light exercise seems to help this greatly. Also, I just went for a "visceral manipulation" at a massage therapist today. I'll post about it here if I have ongoing positive results.

#7 Shell13

Shell13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:24 PM

I have constant pain as well, from dull to severe. Usually upper part of the abdomen, but sometimes both sides of the lower abdomen, too. I also get the "sick" feeling as well. Tight clothing around my waist/stomach area drives me crazy and I have cut waist bands of underwear and pants just to get some relief. I have tried every prescription, over the counter and herbal remedy out there, all made things worse. Please let me know if you find something that helps you. Walking used to help me a bit, but not anymore.
  • pablodog and MannyKales like this

#8 NYC68

NYC68

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:42 PM

Well I had the colonoscopy (the procedure wasn't bad at all, but the prep was horrible!) and everything looked normal. However, a tissue sample was taken and lab results show that I have lymphatic colitis (yet another condition to google!). The doctor wants me to be tested for gluten sensitivity as that may be a possible cause. Will be glad when all the testing is over and I have a particular diet to follow.

#9 sandy somerset uk

sandy somerset uk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:38 AM

I have been suffering pretty much constantly for a whole year now and my pain is situated in-between my ribcage right at the top near my sternum. My pain also ranges from the continuously dull pain but also with outburst of severe cramping that make me keel over and usually make me very sick. However abdominal pain is not my only symptom, i also have been finding more and more that my throat tends to close up and i feel light headed and nauseous when I'm having a particularly bad day. But the abdominal pain and sick feeling are probably what affects my life the most. It's got to the extent where wearing underwear or tight clothing hurts me. Anyone else experience this?

#10 sandy somerset uk

sandy somerset uk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:47 AM

I have had IBS now for over twenty years and fortunately do not suffer from too much of the runs but I had my fair share in the early days. I have now been having symptoms since the beginning of June with really bad pain as if someone is trying to push a fist at the top of the sternum just under my boobs. The pain varies but seems to be worse shortly after I have eaten. I also get lightheaded and horrible pressure in the back of my head and across my forehead. not nice. I have not found anything that helps but do take paracetamol if the pain gets too much. The other thing that I am finding now also is how tired it all seems to make me and I find it very hard to get enthusiastic about anything which is very unlike me. My energy levels are definitely low but I was relieved to see that at least my symptoms were normal LOL. I was beginning to let my imagination run away with me as i AM SURE all sufferers of IBS do on bad days. I have just had to do a H Pylori test from the Docs and I am waiting for the results.

#11 rudibear

rudibear

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:32 PM

I've been diagnosed with IBS but am worried that I have something worse. My pain is constant (or at least nearly constant). Am scheduled for a colonoscopy next week.Is you pain constant? And can you describe it?

I have fairly constant discomfort on the left side of my abdomen, below the belly button. It usually is not real intense, but is very annoying. Add the multiple bms, gas, feeling of incomplete evacuation. There is just something going on every day. This all started a few months after abdominal surgery. Will see a 2nd GI on the 6th. Want a 2nd opinion regarding IBS. Colonoscopy in December did not show cancer so the big "C" is not really an issue. Scar tissue and adhesions could be a contributing factor but they have to cut you open to check and that and that only creates more scar tissue. But I was supposed to feel BETTER after the surgery, not worse. This is really driving me crazy. :blink:

#12 fairy78

fairy78

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:28 AM

I have had IBS now for over twenty years and fortunately do not suffer from too much of the runs but I had my fair share in the early days. I have now been having symptoms since the beginning of June with really bad pain as if someone is trying to push a fist at the top of the sternum just under my boobs. The pain varies but seems to be worse shortly after I have eaten. I also get lightheaded and horrible pressure in the back of my head and across my forehead. not nice. I have not found anything that helps but do take paracetamol if the pain gets too much. The other thing that I am finding now also is how tired it all seems to make me and I find it very hard to get enthusiastic about anything which is very unlike me. My energy levels are definitely low but I was relieved to see that at least my symptoms were normal LOL. I was beginning to let my imagination run away with me as i AM SURE all sufferers of IBS do on bad days. I have just had to do a H Pylori test from the Docs and I am waiting for the results.

I feel so sick today and tired not sure I can even get out of bed - I haven't got my normal pain yet this morning but just feel terrible - not sure how I'm going to manage a full day at work - Ive had IBS for years but I've never felt this bad before - the last 11 weeks have felt a lifetime and I'm worried this is now my life - I could cope with IBS before but not now

#13 Abdv

Abdv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:33 PM

I have had this for almost 2 years now. This is the first time I have seen someone describe the pain I have had. Although with medication and diet changes the pain isn't as bad as it used to be and i really dont have the nausea anymore. Tight clothing for sure is an issue. I suffered greatly for awhile. I've seen two GI doctors and have had every possible test you can have on the digestive system, all showing no problems. My second GI doctor told me I was suffering from a spastic colon (although not IBS since I don't have any other symptoms). I take Nortryptolene every day, as well as Bentyl 1-3 times a day. I have recently started taking soluble fiber 2 times a day. I also take peppermint oil capsules 2-3 times a day and digestive enzymes with every meal. It's been difficult since my pain is constant, but I have with time determined some foods that for sure cause me issues and I stay away from. Well, maybe something I shared can help you. If anyone else has this pain, I'd be interested to hear too.
  • irishsheryl likes this

#14 MannyKales

MannyKales

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:37 AM

Shell13, I, too suffer from anything tight or even snug around my waist. Just a little pressure kills my stomach, gives me a gassy pressure feeling. I can't stand it...even cutting slits in elastic does no good for me. I'm on Bentyl, Reglan, And Zantac..I'm also lactose intolerant so I take OTC Lactaid. Bentyl, Reglan and Zantac does no good...OTC gas relief pills do no good either. I cant eat much. No fruits or vegetables because that hurts my stomach. I've asked the doctor WHY my stomach hurts when wearing anything tight, snug or even slight pressure on my stomach and have got NO answers. Like they never heard me ask the question it's so annoying! Glad to know I'm not alone in the clothing hurting my stomach. If you find out anything with your problems do let me know, or if anyone else with the same problem finds out anything let me know please..pretty please? I'm tired of it. Been this way since 2000 sometime.
  • irishsheryl likes this

#15 Broken Hearts

Broken Hearts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:21 PM

Once again, new to this board, but definitely NOT to IBS-C and chronic pain. For 13 years now, the abdominal pain has been happening on a nearly daily basis, depending on the year. Docs tried all the meds, tests, etc, nothing. Here's something one of my doctors told me that you might be interested in, he said I had, "Chronic functional abdominal disease". Google it. It means my intestines tell my brain that any activity hurts, when it shouldn't. In other words, the nerve endings in my intestines are messed up....and there's nothing they can do about it...sad.png  The only thing that I have to look forward to is that it 'may' subside after menopause, which I started last year. I love this board, makes me feel at least that I'm not alone!

Lori

• irishsheryl likes this

#16 Ibsguy4

Ibsguy4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:37 PM

Shell13, I, too suffer from anything tight or even snug around my waist. Just a little pressure kills my stomach, gives me a gassy pressure feeling. I can't stand it...even cutting slits in elastic does no good for me. I'm on Bentyl, Reglan, And Zantac..I'm also lactose intolerant so I take OTC Lactaid. Bentyl, Reglan and Zantac does no good...OTC gas relief pills do no good either. I cant eat much. No fruits or vegetables because that hurts my stomach. I've asked the doctor WHY my stomach hurts when wearing anything tight, snug or even slight pressure on my stomach and have got NO answers. Like they never heard me ask the question it's so annoying! Glad to know I'm not alone in the clothing hurting my stomach. If you find out anything with your problems do let me know, or if anyone else with the same problem finds out anything let me know please..pretty please? I'm tired of it. Been this way since 2000 sometime.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I found mannykales problem similar to what I'm having. I am a 28 year old male with persistent abdominal discomfort which increases even if some peice of cloth is loosely snuggled around my abdomen for the last two and a half years. I can't wear anything around my waist without feeling pain and discomfort to a level where I have to loosen my pants or waistband several times in a day and sometimes the pain and discomfort gets so intense that I have put off everything including my underwear off my abdomen. I have already been diagnosed with gallstones, fatty liver, chronic undiagnosed jaundice issue and hypertension with severe anxiety disorders but a group of doctors diagnosed my persistent abdominal discomfort and pain as Ibs because I have typical symptoms like diarrhea and bowel urges etc, when I asked them about this waistband issue they just ignored it. I wanted to ask if this is also one of the many symptoms of having such abdominal pain and discomfort that increases when you wear something around your abdomen even if its just a loose pajama bottom? as mannykales has described, since he hasn't logged in after that I couldn't ask him. thanks.
  • irishsheryl likes this
28 year old male

#17 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:37 AM

Some people's abdominal pain is very sensitive to even light pressure, so waistbands can be a major problem for some people with IBS pain.

It is not a specific symptom of something else.

My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#18 Ibsguy4

Ibsguy4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:00 PM

Some people's abdominal pain is very sensitive to even light pressure, so waistbands can be a major problem for some people with IBS pain.
It is not a specific symptom of something else.

thanks, how many of such patients have you seen so far who have complained of such waistband issue? I have been quite afraid that this issue was due to something worse like an adrenal tumor, as I had hypertension and high pulse too. But since my hypertension has improved with average medication and the pain has been there for over two and a half years without intensifying any further except for a couple of times but then it would reduce, thats why I doubt its being a tumor pushing my organs outwards. I may go for diagnosis of the tumor as well in some time as one doctor told me to rule out this doubt.
28 year old male

#19 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:07 PM

I don't see patients, but talking to people on here it certainly isn't everyone, but it is common enough I don't think of it as something new and unexpected.

It may have to do with how much bloating you have, and how much overall tenderness you have, or if one of your more painful spots is right under where most waistband are.

When my IBS was bad my overall tenderness was so tender that even minor tightening of the abdominal wall to lift something light would increase the pain. 

• irishsheryl likes this
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#20 Ibsguy4

Ibsguy4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:49 PM

I don't see patients, but talking to people on here it certainly isn't everyone, but it is common enough I don't think of it as something new and unexpected.
It may have to do with how much bloating you have, and how much overall tenderness you have, or if one of your more painful spots is right under where most waistband are.
When my IBS was bad my overall tenderness was so tender that even minor tightening of the abdominal wall to lift something light would increase the pain.02

did you also have problems with clothes around your abdomen? How long did it take your ibs to improve and what helped you achieve this improvement? my life has been a challenge for the last 2 and a half years, I don't even remember how it felt like having no pain in abdomen at all.
  • Pippie likes this
28 year old male

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here