Is your pain constant? - Page 2 - Abdominal Pain - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Is your pain constant?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:55 PM

I was in enough pain I really didn't notice much pain from clothes, but then I usually don't wear anything tight anyway.

My story is in the link in my sig.

My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#22 Ibsguy4

Ibsguy4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:46 PM

I was in enough pain I really didn't notice much pain from clothes, but then I usually don't wear anything tight anyway.

My story is in the link in my sig.

your story was written 13 years ago so I would like to know if your IBS has improved or completely gone by now? if it has improved then how much progess did you make on a scale of 10?
28 year old male

#23 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:29 PM

Mostly gone.  My stool consistency may vary a bit more (but then no one has perfect consistency every day.

No pain other than some mild cramps maybe 2-3 times a year (which is in the normal range).

So if I had to go 1 (no improvement) to 10 (like it never happened) I'm at a 9.9

My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#24 Ibsguy4

Ibsguy4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:18 PM

Mostly gone.02 My stool consistency may vary a bit more (but then no one has perfect consistency every day.
No pain other than some mild cramps maybe 2-3 times a year (which is in the normal range).
So if I had to go 1 (no improvement) to 10 (like it never happened) I'm at a 9.9

congrats on this. Its been around 3 years for my IBS to have been persistent and somewhat alternating in intensity, I read somewhere that it often improves almost completely within 6 years. I could wait that long if the disability with clothing wasn't there, also it happened in that phase of my life when I was 25 and since then I have been suffering with my working disability. These years of life are the most crucial years for a person's carrier development but with such functional disabilities I have been a complete disappointment to myself and family.
28 year old male

#25 jaumeb

jaumeb

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1607 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 08:16 AM

I have been in pain in 24/7 for the last 11 years. So that 6 year rule not always apply. I have had to tell people that I am in extreme pain and I cannot focus or do anything useful. I hope we can find a solution ...

#26 Phlatty

Phlatty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 19 February 2015 - 07:05 PM

For over two years now I have been getting pain in the epigastric area that would last up to a month at a time.  In 2012 I had a CT scan and upper endoscopy with colonoscopy.  They found nothing.  The pain went away for over a year and I've had flares off and on with constant epigastric pain that starts quickly - lasts a few weeks - and disappears as quickly as it comes.  Very weird.  In May 2014 I had the pain return - again had upper/lower checks - with only mild gastritis found.  They then diagnosed me with a faulty gallbladder.  Gallbladder was removed in June, pain was gone for several months, and has come and gone as usual.  The past month has been hell, constant epigastric pain, now with occasional cramping around umbilicus.  Diarrhea/constipation issues, though most constipation.  MD is going to do a ultrasound guided endoscopy this Tuesday.  We leave for a cruise in a week and I'm freaking out.  Hurts to eat, hurts to not eat.  Bloated and clothing bothers me if even the slightest bit of pressure is there.  I'm so worried they will find cancer, but then I think it's unlikely it would come and go.  Has anyone tried nortriptyline for treatment?  I think that will be the next step.  I'll keep you all posted on what they find out with this next test.  I have anxiety anyway, and this is putting me over the edge. 

#27 irishsheryl

irishsheryl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 01 May 2015 - 09:00 PM

I just started this chat board, and all ready I have learned about my I.b.s. ,more here than  my own doctor tells me. I felt so , alone  in all the awful pain. It seems whenever I eat 2 hours after that; I begin to sever the pain. I had this when, I was a child only 9 years old when it started. But, their was a lot of abuse in the home than. My life now is different. I am older 60 years old and take care of my mother age 80. She does cause my nerves to get on edge at times. My doctor put me on  bentyl,altivan,  and Ambien for sleep if I can not sleep. Amitiza for my constipaition. I have only noticed the sever pain just latily. Only in the last year. My Gastro doctor tested my  my lower bowel, ultrasound gallbladder, and my liver. Which, I have a fatty liver. I really watch what eat. I have lost 10 pounds since this diet has started. No milk. No Coffee at all. Chamomle tea helps at night. peppermint tea helps when, I am have nausea which is everday. please tell me how you all cope.

ibs60

#28 jaumeb

jaumeb

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1607 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 08:58 AM

irishsheryl, my pain is different from yours. I am in pain even if I don't eat anything. What I am doing now is the SCD diet, glutamine and boulardii.

#29 mpfiorv

mpfiorv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 15 July 2017 - 06:07 PM

I've been diagnosed with IBS but am worried that I have something worse. My pain is constant (or at least nearly constant). Am scheduled for a colonoscopy next week.Is you pain constant? And can you describe it?

I have a consistent tightness-pressure type feeling all over my lower upper body (mostly abdomen area). I wake up with it, go to work with it, and go to bed with it.  Its very debilitating.  Words don't describe it.  getting a colonoscopy sooner than later. i doubt they will find a penny worth a nickle :(

#30 mpfiorv

mpfiorv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 15 July 2017 - 06:12 PM

i guess i can put it like this..the pain is not from a certain food or diet...i dont feel bloated but rather i feel like someone has wrapped a rope around my upper body and is constantly pulling it (sort of making a knot like feel).

#31 Akn1965

Akn1965

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:21 PM

I have lower right side abdominal mild pain always.Sometimes it moves upwards.and the pain range depends on diet.it doesn't respond to any medicine even diarrhea has been controlled but the pain remains same.I can't understand what's it. At the beginning the pain was more but at present the pain is mild.
Thanks.

#32 mpfiorv

mpfiorv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 16 July 2017 - 09:23 AM

well good to hear the pain has somewhat subsided....the pain in me is all day and literally wraps around into my lower back...it will be a miracle if this is eventually relieved...i can deal with constipation itself but the pain that wraps around my body is very depressing....the gastro i saw the other day said if an endoscopy and colonoscopy show nothing there then it is most likely a mental problem...idk....im wondering if its a muscular problem..most docs are trained to treat this sort of feeling/thing as anxiety or depression...

#33 Akn1965

Akn1965

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:03 AM

mpfiorv,
I think the lower back pain is another thing.it may not be related to ibs. It is muscular.so you should consult with another doctor.
I have my pain right 1" to naval.I used many Antispasmodics but it didn't clear.remains always in a mild condition.
Thanks.

#34 nsdnjbl

nsdnjbl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:42 PM

Glad to see I'm not alone. Pain almost daily, worse around ovulation/ period. I went thru a period where clothing, underwear, etc was hurting me worse but once I had lived w/ the pain for over two years that subsided. 

So frusterating. 

#35 bigpaulshorty

bigpaulshorty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 27 August 2017 - 02:47 AM

I have been suffering pretty much constantly for a whole year now and my pain is situated in-between my ribcage right at the top near my sternum. My pain also ranges from the continuously dull pain but also with outburst of severe cramping that make me keel over and usually make me very sick. However abdominal pain is not my only symptom, i also have been finding more and more that my throat tends to close up and i feel light headed and nauseous when I'm having a particularly bad day. But the abdominal pain and sick feeling are probably what affects my life the most. It's got to the extent where wearing underwear or tight clothing hurts me. Anyone else experience this?

Hi. I know you posted this many years ago, and hoping you get to read this, but just wanted to add that this is exactly what happens to me. My IBS has developed into being almost constant, and on my worse days I get the light headed (a 'not with it' sensation), throat tightening feelings that seem to happen randomly and for no apparent reason. I find it hard to believe that this is due to a mental factor, I have, in the past with my IBS, felt ok in body and mind and then these feelings will suddenly hit me. I also find a lot of my symptoms get worse if I add pressure on my back, so for instance sitting back on the sofa, but ease if I sit forward or lie on my side. I have also been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and CFS/ME, which sort of go hand in hand with IBS.

How are you doing now? Did you manage to find any help, treatments or anything that has helped your symptoms?

#36 Thomasc77

Thomasc77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 02:48 AM

Do any of you guys have fever or muscle weakness with these other symptoms?

#37 jasp435

jasp435

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 09:42 PM

I have constant pain in my lower left quadrant radiating around to the back. Skin is sensitive to the touch n that area and often feels like something is boring through my abdomen from front to back. Muscles on left side below rib cage are always tender and sore. I have had every test imaginable and nothing but IBS as cause. I have given up looking for any medical help except for Tramadol. It's the only way I can tolerate the constant pain. I've tried all the usual IBS treatments and the only one that has helped is Linzess since chronic constipation is standard. After a BM with Linzess, I get maybe an hour's pain relief and then it is business as usual. I see a pain management doctor every 3 months for the Tramadol. I don't remember being without this pain, even as a child. You would think I would get used to it, but it seems to get worse every year. 

#38 bushja1

bushja1

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 07:54 AM

I get a kind of gnawing sensation on my lower left side.   I wouldn't call it real pain but just uncomfortable.   My doctor told me there is a big bend in the lower intestine right there.   It does cause lower back discomfort too.   

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here