18 yr old son with ibs-stress and vomiting - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

18 yr old son with ibs-stress and vomiting

stress vomiting teen

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Magpie123

Magpie123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:03 PM

Advertisement
My 18 yr old son was diagnosed with IBS a year ago. At the beginning of his jr year of high school, it started with bouts of constipation which then turned into severe diarrhea. He missed almost half of the school year, had every test run on him, before diagnosing ibs. His diarrhea was so bad that he would take his laptop in the bathroom and just hang out on the toilet. Once diagnosed, his dr put him on lomotil and a mild antidepressant to slow down the colon. Within a couple of weeks, he went off the diarrhea med and remained on the other until the school year was over in June. He went the entire summer with almost no symptoms. The school year started back at the end of Augsut and now it is Oct 24 and he has missed 11 days of school. The symptoms are a little different. Not much diarrhea, but more constipation and vomiting. I believe stress is the trigger. He is an over-achiever, honor student, involved in many clubs and works a part time job. He thrives on this lifestyle, however his father and I feel it's taken it's toll. We've had him back down from his work hours, cut back on his clubs, etc. He eats fairly healthy. He's tired all the time and since this all started his grades have dropped, which just adds more stress . We are going to his primary care dr in a couple of days to discuss getting him some counseling to handle anxiety. He and I have talked about anything he may be worried about and he says there are no major problems, but he just worries about what this is doing to him, how it will affect college, etc. It just snowballs: the worry creates more ibs issues, which creates more stress. My heart aches for him. The one thing that bothers me is the vomiting. Is this normal for ibs sufferers? He's had two bouts of this in the past 4 weeks, each lasting about 3 days. He vomits once every few hrs. He says he's not constipated, that he's currently going regularly. From what I have read, vomiting is not normally a symptom of ibs????

#2 screeb

screeb

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:21 PM

My IBS started out as diarrhea, I was put on lomotil and it turned into constipation (cIBS), like your son. There was a study about a year ago on CES (colon electrical stimulation) which contracts the colon. It could be considered the equivalent of constipation because it increases intra-mural colon wall pressure. Any way, CES delayed gastric emptying of solids by 77% and 7/9 cIBS patients have gastroparesis (or delayed gastric emptying co-morbidity). The key is to get rid of the constipation which I do with my Gastroparesis procedure, (see my blog). Ask me questions.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stress, vomiting, teen

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here