Post Plane Issues - Traveling with a Health Condition - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Post Plane Issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 erinelizabeth

erinelizabeth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:12 PM

Advertisement
I just returned from a vacation to florida and since then I'm having horrible issues with my constipation.
as of lately I have been able to keep my bowels somewhat in order, and I try never to fly (fear of flying). I travel a lot for work yet try to stay near by so I can drive and have never really had a problem going to the bathroom once home.
So I'm wondering... Is it the altitude that is upsetting my stomach? I've tried so hard to 'go' since returning 2 days ago.
Any suggestions?

#2 BQ

BQ

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14427 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:23 AM

No I don't think altitude is an issue.... probably just the stress. Prevent problems maybe by being proactive by using stool softners and extra fiber when you are travelling or going into any situations where you know you will be stressed.

Now I would try using the extra fiber and softeners to help you go. You might need to use an Osmotic laxative if you still cannot go after that.
Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

#3 erinelizabeth

erinelizabeth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:16 AM

I was able to finally go this morning after a surplus of fiber but it wasn't formed at all. I guess going is still going right!?

I'm flying again next week so should I use stool softeners before the flight or after ( its a 3hr flight)? I don't want to have them kick in mid-air!

#4 BQ

BQ

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14427 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:51 AM

I don't think they work that fast. A simple stool softener with NO laxative agent is what I meant. But sure.... no one wants a problem ON the actual flight... so take it that night and/or bring some of these maybe with you to throw in a bottle of water:
http://www.benefiber...TasteFree.shtml

And try to relax.. I know it is hard. But you have plenty of company... Many many folks (even those without IBS) have some constipation issues when they travel.
Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

#5 erinelizabeth

erinelizabeth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

Thanks so much BQ, you're always a great help :)

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here