Is it IBS or something different? - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Is it IBS or something different?

Ibs diarrhea confused

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hypochondriac1990

Hypochondriac1990

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:13 AM

Advertisement
Hello everyone, I've been a little worried lately and totally confused as to what is wrong with me. I am a 22 year old female family history of breast cancer, high blood pressure and diabetes is all I can think of. I've been having diarrhea for the past year and sometimes stomach pains do accompany it. My stools sometimes look fluffy, however once in a while i do have a regular bm. I also sometimes get this sharp pain in my butt that last literally 2 to 5 seconds and then goes away. Almost as if my insides have cramped up. And lastly many times i am VERY gassy! I just came back from my second doctor visit ( my first doctor ignored it ) and he says everything seems totally fine. I did hand in some stool samples and did blood work, everything. But she says everything came back fine. Can anyone else relate to my symptoms or give me any advice?

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:28 AM

IBS is a combination of some kind of pain/discomfort and a change in stool consistency/frequency. Gas issues are common as often we don't deal with normal levels of gas properly (so may fart more or get more discomfort/bloating even with the exact same amount of gas as before).

Blood work and stools should be normal with IBS. They don't test for IBS (aren't looking for the right things to show if you have IBS), they rule out other things. Some research tools see some things abnormal in IBSers, but those aren't used in the clinic, just the lab.

IBS can come and go and can vary so the variation in symptoms is normal for IBS.

The very sharp pain in the but could be protalgia fugax. Basically it is a strong spasm in the muscles of the pelvic floor that lasts from a few seconds to a few minutes. It is one of those annoying but not dangerous problems.

For the gas: You could try either the low fodmap diet to reduce the amount of bacteria food you dump in the colon or a probiotic (which doesn't release gas when it eats the bacteria food in the normal human diet).

You aren't mentioning any of the symptoms that tends to indicate something more than IBS going on.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 Hypochondriac1990

Hypochondriac1990

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:43 AM

Thanks so much I forgot to mention that my stomach is alwaysssss rumbling and making noise sometimes it wakes me out of my sleep and when I go to the bathroom sometimes the rectal pain arises but not always. Idk if that made a difference to the answer/advice provided. @communitymanager

#4 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

Still in IBS range of symptoms rather than other disorders. Proctalgia fugax can be triggered by a BM, and IBSers seem to be more aware of the constant motion of the gut (it always is doing something in everyone all the time, but seems IBS has it be a lot more apparent, probably for several different reasons).

The gut is generally more quiet during sleep, but you also are more aware of your body when your brain isn't busy with all you do while awake.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#5 Hypochondriac1990

Hypochondriac1990

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:07 PM

I appreciate your answer and thank you very much once again.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ibs, diarrhea, confused

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here