trying to gain back weight, and fear of food - IBS Diarrhea (IBS-D) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

trying to gain back weight, and fear of food

ibs weight fear food flare

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 grumbles

grumbles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:27 PM

Advertisement

Long first time post, sorry...:

Hey everyone, I'm new here. I'm 22 now and I've been having stomach problems my whole life but starting 5 years ago I started getting what was later diagnosed as 'IBS flares'.

Basically I'm in the middle of one now, and it's terrible. I was already very thin due to my super fast metabolism (5'3 and 97-100 pounds, 44-45kg) but I was happy with it, and now I'm at 95 pounds, 43kg in a little over 2 weeks and it actually makes a huge difference on my small frame and I really hate it. 

It's hard for me to try and keep track of triggers because they honestly differ depending on the time. When my flare initially starts, I have pains throughout the entire day and I'm running to the bathroom about 5-6 times a day. After about a week and a bit I use the washroom way less and don't feel as horrible- I still get pains but they are usually restricted to after I eat whereas during the beginning of flares I don't even need to be eating to feel BM pain. When my flares are over I can basically eat anything and I'll be fine, I LOVE FOOD biggrin.png . But during the flares I'm terrified of everything and everything can be a culprit depending on when I eat it.

Sometimes it takes several hours for my body to get used to eating when I wake up, and I'll have pains WHILE I'm chewing and swallowing my first meal (my breakfasts for the past 2 weeks have been things like a single egg or a banana) and then I'm running to the bathroom. Other times I wake up fine.

Later on in the day I feel much better, so I try to eat more (white rice is great, same with chicken, potatoes are okay, oatmeal) but the fear and pain I have in the first few hours makes me lose about half the calories I would regularly eat in a day. So basically I'm eating less and losing weight not because I don't want to eat (I get hungry at normal intervals and I have lots of cravings for different foods), but because I'm afraid to. Not to mention I can't eat too much in one sitting, even though I want to, because I'm scared it'll cause me indigestion (which I also suffer from) and give me chest/gas pains.

I'm wondering if anyone else here also fears food during flares and how they might cope with it- and if there are any ideas for high calorie breakfasts that aren't too heavy, I'd really appreciate it. Or any helpful tears- Is tea okay to have on an empty stomach?

I've been trying to drink Boost Calorie + with my breakfast and so far my stomach is 50/50 with it. I rarely ever have an appetite in the morning and I feel like that's when I need food most since I've just woken up and I'm groggy and light-headed- this will be me tomorrow seeing as I have a 7am shift I'm going to wake up at 5am to prepare my stomach for blink.png

I'm glad I found this forum and thanks again for taking the time to read and respond!

#2 knothappy

knothappy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1198 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:09 PM

I am a lot older than you and have been fighting this awful disease for over 25 yrs, i have the same probem i am losing weight because i fear the diarreha as soon as i began to eat..lost weight because of this, friends have asked if i have cancer!! gad i must look awful..i also am trying to drink Ensure to help gain some weight. i cook for myself because i enjoy cooking, but after a few mouthfuls of food i feel nausea, fear, thinking about ibs and lose my appetite. hope some day we can be normal.
knothappy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ibs, weight, fear, food, flare

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here