In Search of Functional Health - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

In Search of Functional Health

health wellness

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 ishylynn

ishylynn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

Advertisement
I don't know about anyone else, but I spend a lot of time worrying about my general health. I avoid so many foods, especially fruits and vegetables, that I'm sure I'm not getting enough vitamins and minerals. Often, when I eat with others who cook, my best efforts to inform them fail, or they make adjustments they rationalize as okay, but aren't. It's easy to stick with the few foods I know won't bother me.

I often have IBS-D issues, and sometimes a tiny amount of something will set it off. I get terrible, debilitating headaches after ingesting fructose and fructans that last all day and are immune to pain relievers. I feel foggy all the time, and I sleep way more than the average person.

I still have to work, function, and I want to enjoy my life. Do I go see a nutritionist? Can I afford one? Will my health insurance really cover it (they have a history of saying yes beforehand, then refusing afterward). Can I manage this all on my own?

A low FODMAPs diet helps the most toward functional health. I have been tossing back and forth the idea of going back to paleo with FODMAPs avoidance. Most vitamin supplements give me problems, as do gums, which seem to be in all gluten-free bread products I've tried. I want to live a long life, and a happy one, but it seems like I take one step forward and four back.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: health, wellness

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here