Trips have become terrible - Traveling with a Health Condition - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Trips have become terrible

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nenwing

Nenwing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

Advertisement

I don't know if anyone might have any tips for me, but trips are truly becoming terrible for me.

I have to take a big trip once a year back home to visit family for a week, and this past year was the worst one yet. It's gotten more difficult for me to cope.

The biggest problem is stress triggers my IBS, and I do my best to not think about the trip or stress, but it doesn't seem to matter. Once DH and I are on the road the "fun" starts, and even with all the current coping means I have its still just misery. This last trip all week I took Immodium, but I still could hardly eat and my guts were a mess the whole time. Also IBS kicks in bladder pressure in a bad way too, and I do not know how to make that stop. When my IBS is under control my bladder is usually fine.

I wish I could take a tranquilizer or something for the week. I thought of Xanax, but that combined with a medicine I am currently on (birth control) makes it so that I pretty much sleep the entire day after a very small dose of it, plus it wipes out my memory. I've used the Xanax to get through difficult doc appointments.

Is there something that would work for say a week? I don't think any doc would prescribe an SSRI for just a week trip, that would be overkill.

#2 Flax

Flax

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

You have IBS-D?

#3 Pepper H

Pepper H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

My trips are like hell. But now, when I have to fly or take a train for several hours, I take one pill of a light anxiolytic my doctor prescribed for anxiety issues, just the night before. It makes me a bit numb especially when I'm tired, and doesn't make the cramping go away that easily, but I'm less prone to severe anxiety (I can't handle train stations and airports at all) so I'm less likely to see the pain increase due to it.

Maybe you could ask your doctor about whether or not that could be a good idea in your situation?

#4 Sharon Collins

Sharon Collins

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:06 PM

I have a similar experience and hate travelling even to work sometimes  but short car trips I hate so uncomfortable, I haven't flown for five years! I avoid long journeys and it isn't all in my mind it is a problem and causes agony wish I could give you a cure to ease it.

Peppermint tea alleviates bowel cramps, eat less and travel at a time when is not too early or late then you could give yourself more time to get there and not feel under pressure. 

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here