Fresh juices? Anyone have a juicer? - Diet - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Fresh juices? Anyone have a juicer?

juice vegetables fruits

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jolema

Jolema

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:10 AM

Advertisement

I was wondering, since some of us can't digest many fruits and vegetables, that would they be digestable as freshly made juices?

Anyone have any experience? Should I invest on a juicer?

#2 ishylynn

ishylynn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:32 AM

For me, I can't do too much juice, even of low FODMAPs fruits and vegetables. If I do, I make small amounts. Most of the time I do green smoothies instead, and use extra ice and water in them to make them more filling.

Most of my smoothies have an apple banana (looks like a baby banana), handful of berries, and 2 cups of spinach.

There's some smoothies going around Pinterest that are oatmeal-based. I use 1/2 cup gluten-free oatmeal, an apple banana, 4-5 strawberries, a little bit of unsweetened almond milk, plus ice and water. I let the oatmeal sit in the water for about 10 minutes before blending everything else in. Sometimes I add a little stevia. It's pretty good.

#3 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:34 AM

One of the issues is some of the indigestible parts are not going to be broken down by a juicer (will not eliminate sorbitol or fructose and you may be able to get a lot of it in a juice).

I would suggest checking out a juice bar or see if you can find someone locally who can make you a sample of juice before spending money on a juicer as they can be very pricey for a really good one.

You may have to stick to the same low fodmap fruits and veggies that you do when you eat them whole.  Also some people tolerate these things only when cooked and the point of juice is it isn't cooked.

My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: juice, vegetables, fruits

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here