psyllium husk - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

psyllium husk

psyllium husk powder

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 PaulWiltshire

PaulWiltshire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:30 AM

Advertisement

I've been recommended psyllium husk powder as a means to stay regular with my C/D IBS. Looking for some advice though about a few things, based on people's experiences:

- Morning or evening? (I'm not sure I like the idea of having it in the morning and feeling full and bloated the rest of the morning, but if taken at night presumably I'll sleep through it and be primed for a morning BM?)

- What dosage? I understand about working your way up slowly, and about having plenty of water throughout the day, but the instructions I've seen on powder (1.5 g) and capsules (2 x 500mg) seem small compared to what I read elsewhere and I don't want to spin my wheels.

- Powder or capsules? Powder might be cheaper, but not too practical if you're eating out etc whereas it'd be easy to have some capsules with you in your bag.

Any recommendations/advice from personal experience would be hugely appreciated - we're all in this together :(

Paul

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

I think consistency is more important than any specific time of day.

If you want to lose weight taking it before a meal may help you fill up faster and if you need to gain weight take it away from meals so you don't fill up too fast.

It can be gassy so it may not be the right fiber for you, but it depends on how you tolerate it.  I found when I was on 3 servings a day (for cholesterol reasons) taking simethicone WITH each dose seemed to ease the gas.  The simethicone stays in the GI tract so can only have action when it is in the same part of the GI tract as the gas.

My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: psyllium, husk, powder

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here