Anyone have interesting effects with Sushi? - Diet - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Anyone have interesting effects with Sushi?

sushi diet effects triggers fish sea weed rice

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Day by day

Day by day

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

Advertisement

So most of the doctors I've asked don't recommend sushi with IBS. Despite that sushi has fish, which is good, and rice, which is absorbic, and seaweed which has some fiber properties. Although, oddly enough, when I am having flare-ups or bad pain days and I eat sushi, it seems to suppress the pain and symptoms. I've been eating SO much sushi for the past while in order to reduce my pain lol.

Does anyone else have this effect, or maybe wonder if it may help them?

If you think about it. Consciousness, in it's entirety, was the product of matter and energy being so fantastically interesting, that it had to create something to appreciate how fantastic and interesting it all is.... by using itself!
- M. Sama

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

My only concern would be that IBSers can have a more severe reaction to food poisoning and parasites if they are already having problems without them.

Raw fish could be a concern, but otherwise sushi does seem to be low in things that sets off IBSers.

My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 erinelizabeth

erinelizabeth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

I do well with sushi which is great cause I LOVE it! :) I like the cooked variety however.

I have not heard to avoid it and it does seem to include many "ok" ingredients. Everyone's body reacts differently to certain foods so I've learned from trial and error.
If it works for you then I'd say eat away!

#4 quarky

quarky

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

Sushi is a safe food for me. Although I usually only eat vegetarian sushi (avocado, cucumber, mushroom, egg) because my partner is veggie. The only time sushi has triggered an IBS-D attack was one time when I ate loads of the pickled ginger that comes on the side of the plate. As long as I leave that and the wasabi alone it's usually fine.

#5 Day by day

Day by day

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

Lol yea, the pickled ginger could cause quite an attack.. I've heard benificial things with avocado though, and have been eating steamed avocado in salads now

If you think about it. Consciousness, in it's entirety, was the product of matter and energy being so fantastically interesting, that it had to create something to appreciate how fantastic and interesting it all is.... by using itself!
- M. Sama

#6 Flax

Flax

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

If the fish is fresh and I don't use the hot stuff, I don't get any problems. But I don't like the fact that there are risks of getting parasites. 

#7 Day by day

Day by day

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

If the fish is fresh and I don't use the hot stuff, I don't get any problems. But I don't like the fact that there are risks of getting parasites. 

Lol... I eat sushi like a madman, and so far no parasitic infections as far as I can tell :P I always make sure I go to well respected areas to buy
- M. Sama

#8 PD85

PD85

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:19 PM

Sushi makes my IBS much better for about a day. I think it's the rice.

Coincidentally my IBS started when I got a bad case of food poisoning from... you guessed it... sushi.

"I could be wrong about everything." -Me

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sushi, diet, effects, triggers, fish, sea, weed, rice

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here