New here and in tears - Parent's discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

New here and in tears

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy2010

dannyboy2010

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:05 AM

Advertisement

Hi everyone!

I'm mom of a 3-year-old boy with IBS. He's always hurting - moaning from gas pain, bloated, has little appetite, can't easily fall asleep or stay asleep, and so distracted from pain that he sometimes doesn't want to play. My heart hurts for him.

his GI doctor has suggested the low FODMAP diet, but it will be so hard bec. he's a very picky eater. i will do it though, bec. we can't go on the way we are. The approach sounds promising.

My poor little boy has suffered a lot. He had awful chronic tonsillitis for a year from 8 months to close to two, and now has dealt with this for over a year.

He seems to prefer carbs more than anything, btw.

Thanks,

Sarah

#2 Goldfinch

Goldfinch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

Hi and so sorry to hear about your little one. That's tough, I know. All kids like carbs, don't they? My daughter ate what we referred to as the "white diet" for several years. I don't believe a red or green vegetable touched her lips for three solid years, and she loves all veggies now, if that's any consolation. Luckily the low fodmaps diet is not a low carb diet, just a no-wheat diet. I'm on it and I eat plenty of rice and oatmeal and barley. Also the low fodmaps diet is thumbs up on maple syrup, so oatmeal is a winner. If your kid likes fruit, berries are good as well, as are many other fruits. You can get plenty of fibre with grains other than wheat and fruit and a few veggies. Yams are an excellent source of nutrients on the low fodmaps diet, and most kids will eat them, especially with brown sugar or maple syrup! For sweet treats I find really high quality non-dairy ices and sorbets hit the spot, and you can whip them up to make smoothies with fruit, although fruit smoothies are not generally recommended for IBS-D, if that is the problem. Hope this helps.

#3 dannyboy2010

dannyboy2010

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

Thank you, both of you, fr your replies! I've looked into the FODMAP diet some more, and had a session with a nutritionist and feel a bit more clear about it. yes, good that many carbs are ok!  Thanks for the info and for sharing. John, I will look up your post. Yes, he had loads of antibiotics, and it surely plays a large role here. He doesn't seem to have a particular problem with yeast, but I'm sure that many of the 400+ bacterial types in his gut are out of balance.

#4 Minerva

Minerva

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:28 AM

Hi!
My son has always had trouble with his digestion, and we tried several different diets before the doctor hit on the idea that he might have inherited my IBS.
We only learned about the FODMAP-diet about a year and a half ago, but we're both doing MUCH better on it.

The thing is, he always had a healthy appetite, but he was also a bit of a picky eater. But by the time he was 3-4, he was old enough to understand when we told him that "this food will make your tummy hurt" and "this food will make your tummy happy".

He soon started turning to me to check if food was "safe" when offered treats and food by others, and as long as I made sure to have something he COULD eat in my bag (gluten- and lactose free biscuits, berries or pieces of fruit), he was quite content to stay away from the "bad" food.

Focus on the things he likes that he CAN eat, and then see what you can mix in on the side. If he likes mashed potatoes, mix in some root veggies and mix them together - parsnips are nice and sweet, or some carrots or sweet potato, etc.
10 years ago it was much harder to find food if you were on a specialized diet, today most places will have SOME gluten- and lactose free offerings - bread, yoghurt etc.

I remember bringing my son to work late one Friday afternoon, when we all gather for a coffee-and-cake-break. One of my coworkers offered Jr. a slice of cake, not thinking to ask me first. 
Jr., about 4 or so at the time, turned to me and asked if he could eat this cake. 
"No, dear, this cake will make your tummy hurt. I have bought things you CAN eat, which we will enjoy when we get home, later tonight."
Jr., being a sensible lad, easily accepted this.
All my co-workers were stunned, jaws hanging open and eyes bugging out - they were all expecting an epic temper tantrum from the little boy who didn't get any cake after all. ;)

What I'm trying to say is: When they notice that they DO get better when they eat the "special" food, most of them WILL respect the diet - when Jr. slips up, he pays for it with an upset tummy, cramps etc.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here