Dealing with the school system - Parent's discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Dealing with the school system

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ibsparent

ibsparent

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

Advertisement

Hi

I have a 13 year old daughter who has the alternating form of IBS she missses a lot of day of school at times and the school system is not very sympathetic all they seem to care about is the number of days she has missed. Has anyone else had similar issues and if so how did you resolve them? My daughter is very bright and regardless of how many days she misses she still gets good grades.

Thanks

#2 refuse to live this way

refuse to live this way

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

I know where we live, the schools get paid by the state based on how many days the kids are in school. So, this is why they are so concerned about the missed days. If I were you I would get a note from the doctor and bring it down to the school in person. Give a copy to the Principal, the Teacher and the School Nurse and explain the situation to them. This should help both your daughter and the school. Hopefully they will become a little more sympathetic to your daughter's needs and she will feel better about going to school overall. Don't let them bully you. Best of Luck and I hope your daughter starts feeling better soon.

#3 dramamama

dramamama

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:05 PM

We also encountered this problem & always had the school social worker breathing down our necks. My child missed a lot of school, yet still managed to pull very good grades. I always had both my pediatrician & my daughter's gastroenterologist write notes for school, explaining her condition & asking that she be allowed to use the restroom as needed & for extended periods of time. I also made sure to come to any attendance related meetings with an armful of medical records & a note from all doctors, to prove that the absences were due to a medical condition & not truancy. This covered us legally.

My daughter's condition has worsened over the past year, and we are lucky enough to live in a state that offers a free public school option to be done at home, through the K12 school. We have pulled her out of the brick & mortar school & will be doing this hybrid homeschool this year. It allows my child to be able to attain 100% attendance, while being able to take classes via her laptop. If need be, she can take them while lying in bed, or watch them later in the day, as they record all classes. It's a great option to look into for chronically ill children.

#4 Clergy mom

Clergy mom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:56 PM

See if you can get a 504. I have a similar problem, and when I first asked to start a 504, the school counselor said she is fine and doing well and doesn't need one. She has not gotten into trouble for missing school, however, it causes both of us a lot of stress. I will be working on getting her a 504 next week so she will have it in place for high school. ( a 504 is a plan for students who don't qualify for an IEPER but still have "disabilities" that impair their normal every day activities.

#5 ReneeM

ReneeM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:06 AM

Hi, I have a 14 year old suffering with IBS, we have recently gotten a 504 for her to do testing in small group and we have taken doctors notes to the counselor and her teachers to allow her to use the restroom as needed and to allow her to stand when she feels uncomfortable in class and to see the nurse whenever she needs to. They are doing testing this week and it has been very stressful for us. Mainly because she did not know what to expect. The IBS started with her in the 6th grade, she had a stomach virus and her stomach made loud noises and the children sitting around her laughed a little. It traumatized her regarding school. Weekends are pretty good alhough she does complain about pain but not as often as the school day. It's comforting to hear that there other parents with children going through this also and we can all help each other get through this.

#6 ReneeM

ReneeM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:14 AM

I forgot to address the absence issue we too have had a lot of days absent this year mainly during the first of school. Lately, their are more tardies than absences, Mostly for 1st period. I have also gotten the doctors notes regarding explaing that mornings might be tough. I write notes if she's coming in late. We have recently started seeing a therapist so we get notes for those appointments also.

#7 kals

kals

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:36 PM

school is terrible, think everyone is the same, I feel bad I really do.

#8 kaiem

kaiem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 14 February 2015 - 02:55 AM

Not a parent, but I'm 16 and have been dealing with this for a few years now. Even before my diagnosis, I still struggled with many stomach issues, likely IBS-D related. Some teachers were sympathetic, others not so much. I had one teacher refuse me the right to use the bathroom once, as it was in the middle of a lesson. I'm not a troublesome kid and have always done well in school. Never caused problems with teachers. Man oh man, did my mother tear her a new strip after I went home and told her that story.

My mom was adamant about contacting the appropriate administrators and teachers about my a) loss of classtime and B) school-based needs. Thankfully I can freely run to the washroom when needed, with a little nod to the teacher to let them know I'm on the run. It wasn't easy though; it's been a long process of meetings at the school with my counselor (out of school) and even my family doctor. All I wanted was to be able to use the washroom when I needed to, or let myself outside if I needed some fresh air. 

Now, Grade 11, I can finally do this, but it would have been nice when I was stressed to the max in Grade 8 to have these options. I'm shy and non-confrontational, so if the teacher asked me to wait until a more appropriate time to use the bathroom, I would, forcefully, wait. Thankfully have never had an "accident" but it resulted in a lot of stress. 

I hope everything works out for you. The faculty will realize that she is bright, and will hopefully sympathize with the problem.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here