Blood test reassurance - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Blood test reassurance

blood test ibs

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 James_Morgan5

James_Morgan5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

Advertisement

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum but have come across it often in search of help regarding my IBS questions.

I'm an 18 year old male who has recently moved to university. Within about 2-3months of moving in (September), I began showing symptoms of IBS: I have IBS-C which alternated with IBS-D; I have abdominal pains in my descending intestine (left side); have an increased urgency to pass wind and never feel 'empty'.

I've tried Colofac, but it proved to be of little help, so last week I went to the doctor who prescribed mebeverine and ordered some blood test to be done next week. These tests include:

- U & E + Calcium;

- LFT's;

- Glucose;

- CRP's;

- TFT's;

- Ferritin;

- Full-blood count;

- Coeliac Screen.

I was just wondering if this is normal practice? The doctor doesn't seem worried, but I'm nervous it's something more serious.

Can anyone please just help me put my mind at ease? 

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

That seems like a pretty standard set of tests to run just to make sure it is "just" IBS.  Most of the other things that have IBS symptoms as one part of their symptoms (most other things have more symptoms than IBS) will twig one or another of those tests.

This looks like an abundance of caution kind of testing, as well as some general routine health screening things in there.  Pretty normal types of tests to do to ensure that since the only symptoms you mentioned or noticeds are IBS symptoms that it is just IBS.

They can go on just symptoms alone with no tests at all, but usually docs like to peak at some objective data that backs up that other than some IBS symptoms are you are OK.

My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blood, test, ibs

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here