Actually have a good story...a LTR with IBS is possible! - Dealing with Relationships - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Actually have a good story...a LTR with IBS is possible!

positive relationship

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jhowell28

jhowell28

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

Advertisement
Hello!

I just thought it might be uplifting for some people to hear a good story in relation to having a significant other and dealing with IBS.

My boyfriend and I have been together a little over a year, but we have been friends since we were 16. He is absolutely my number one supporter through all of this. But, he didn't start off as perfect and we had to get through a little frustration of things he didn't understand. Over the past year, he has always been very receptive of any information I can give him on IBS (even though I don't expect him to remember it all, I don't even remember it all!) He does his best and remembers most of the things I tell him make me sick, he will even help catch me when I'm about to give in to a trigger food (like pizza) and say "Just be careful, remember how that made you feel last time". He also tries his best to comfort me when I'm having a bad IBS day. I used to be really embarrassed when I would have to repeatedly use the restroom at his parents house, because then obviously everyone knew I was having bowel problems. When he could tell I was uncomfortable from trying not to use the bathroom when I should, he would tell me "Go to the bathroom, you know you will feel better when you do and no one here is going to judge you for that." If I'm in a lot of pain, he will offer to get me medicine or a heating pad so I don't have to get up - he also offers to rub my back to help me relax, especially if I'm not feeling well at night and I'm having a hard time falling asleep. He also advocates for me when we're at family parties/get togethers where I can't really eat the "party" food that's there and I either bring/make my own. He just tells his family that it isn't I don't like what they're making and I'm not trying to be picky, I'm just safeguarding myself from getting sick.

He has really been a Godsend to helping me deal with IBS, but it came with a lot of effort on my part to educate him on what IBS is and how it affects my life. I would encourage anyone who is trying to deal with IBS and maintain a relationship with anyone (family, friend or partner) to educate the people around you. You will come across people who don't understand it no matter what, but I have found that other people are a lot more understanding and receptive than you would think. It doesn't hurt to give it a shot!

#2 storyofmylife

storyofmylife

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:39 PM

Hello!

I just thought it might be uplifting for some people to hear a good story in relation to having a significant other and dealing with IBS.

My boyfriend and I have been together a little over a year, but we have been friends since we were 16. He is absolutely my number one supporter through all of this. But, he didn't start off as perfect and we had to get through a little frustration of things he didn't understand. Over the past year, he has always been very receptive of any information I can give him on IBS (even though I don't expect him to remember it all, I don't even remember it all!) He does his best and remembers most of the things I tell him make me sick, he will even help catch me when I'm about to give in to a trigger food (like pizza) and say "Just be careful, remember how that made you feel last time". He also tries his best to comfort me when I'm having a bad IBS day. I used to be really embarrassed when I would have to repeatedly use the restroom at his parents house, because then obviously everyone knew I was having bowel problems. When he could tell I was uncomfortable from trying not to use the bathroom when I should, he would tell me "Go to the bathroom, you know you will feel better when you do and no one here is going to judge you for that." If I'm in a lot of pain, he will offer to get me medicine or a heating pad so I don't have to get up - he also offers to rub my back to help me relax, especially if I'm not feeling well at night and I'm having a hard time falling asleep. He also advocates for me when we're at family parties/get togethers where I can't really eat the "party" food that's there and I either bring/make my own. He just tells his family that it isn't I don't like what they're making and I'm not trying to be picky, I'm just safeguarding myself from getting sick.

He has really been a Godsend to helping me deal with IBS, but it came with a lot of effort on my part to educate him on what IBS is and how it affects my life. I would encourage anyone who is trying to deal with IBS and maintain a relationship with anyone (family, friend or partner) to educate the people around you. You will come across people who don't understand it no matter what, but I have found that other people are a lot more understanding and receptive than you would think. It doesn't hurt to give it a shot!

Good for you. Give me hard statistics, can you??? You're story is like some of the others - its an exception. Give me a percentage, like maybe out of all the current couples 30% have one spouse with a chronic illness as severe as IBS.

Conduct interviews (or interrogations if you prefer eking out the truth) with a large number of people and find out if they will date someone with IBS. That would give me more hope than just one or two stories.

Everytime I find the key to success, some IDIOT changes the lock. mad.gif

#3 Bekahb86

Bekahb86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:06 AM

#4 Destinie

Destinie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:52 PM

*Hi-five OP!* Love me some good men. :3 Thank you for sharing your happy story!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: positive, relationship

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here