IBS-D.......DEPRESSION - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

IBS-D.......DEPRESSION

IBS-D DEPRESSION ANXIETY relationship

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nick1984

nick1984

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

Advertisement

Hi,

I'm very depressed and feel dreadful.  I am sick and tired of being
alone, almost 12 years now since my life fell apart with IBS-D.  I was
lucky enough to get on some meds which means I am now at university but to
cope with my stomach is like a full-time job in itself.  When my stomach
takes a turn for the worse, a wave of depression comes over me.  I used to
be able just to carry on but now I feel like I can't bounce back.

Best,

Nick

#2 BQ

BQ

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14427 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:25 PM

Distraction is an excellent tool.  Get your mind off of your gut.  Our guts can become like a petulant child always seeking our attention if we let it! 

So get your mind onto something more pleasant.  One thing that consistently works for me is helping someone else... even if it is just listening to them... 

Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

#3 Dannydoy

Dannydoy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

Have you had all the "proper tests"? Have you tried exclusion diets? Dairy is supposed to be the number one followed by gluten.

Is your IBS related to food or anxiety? If it is food try restricting the times that you eat and the quantity that you eat.

Have you tried Green or Peppermint tea? It can have helpful effect on stomach.

Does imodium help you?

All the best and hope you find a solution

#4 jmc09

jmc09

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1330 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

Imodium is sometimes the ONLY thing that helps and should be the first line of defence against Diarrhoea. I take Codeine and Imodium together every day.

Diagnosed originally with microscopic colitis in 1992 but no inflammation detected on subsequent colonoscopies,so IBS diagnosed. Hoping to share my personal opinions and experiences to help others and become more aware myself. No medical training at all.

#5 alan687

alan687

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

distraction helps with the depression, i had severe depression for a year and i started to take an interest in rc off roading, even though i dident travel far, the building/maintence of it kept me busy and i eventually overcome the depression. so my advice is to get a hobby somthing you love doing because it helps more than you think

#6 Lilythewelder

Lilythewelder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:22 PM

Hi,

I'm very depressed and feel dreadful.  I am sick and tired of being
alone, almost 12 years now since my life fell apart with IBS-D.  I was
lucky enough to get on some meds which means I am now at university but to
cope with my stomach is like a full-time job in itself.  When my stomach
takes a turn for the worse, a wave of depression comes over me.  I used to
be able just to carry on but now I feel like I can't bounce back.

I know how you feel with the depression. I have 24/7 pain as my most dominent symptom and as a result i think about killing myself several times a day just to stop the pain. I only actually got diognosed with IBS 3 weeks ago but i have been experiancing symptoms that have grown in severity since they started maybe 5 years ago. They seem to just get worse everyday.
The only thing thats made me able to manage my depression and not simplily end it is Pet therapy and distractions. By pet therapy i simpily mean living with, training and taking care of my two cats and dog, when im feeling like im going to slip one of my pets can always get me to stay.

Best,

Nick

#7 Lilythewelder

Lilythewelder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

Im using an ipad which is glitching on me a bit and wont let me remove your signiture from under my reply, sorry if it makes it confusing.

#8 MissJSH

MissJSH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

Sorry to hear you're having such a rough time.  I can empathise with you on the depression, I have suffered for many years but for me it is intrinsic.  Being on medication has completely changed my life, I am now able to get out of bed in the mornings and lead a somewhat normal life.  Since depression and anxiety are triggers in IBS as well as being a result of it, it's possible that you're in a cycle.  Have you tried mindfulness meditation?  It was a daily event when I was in day care therapy and we all looked forward to it.  There are some free guided meditations available as podcasts from iTunes to give you an idea - it takes practise and an open mind but is a good release.  Alternatively, perhaps you might want to discuss with your doctor and see if they can put you in touch with a local support group, or refer you for some counselling?  It may help you feel better about things.

Hope you get some relief soon.

• Lilythewelder likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: IBS-D, DEPRESSION, ANXIETY, relationship

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here