IBS, Diverticulosis, Gastritis, and Gerd Taking (Prilosec) - Welcome! - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

IBS, Diverticulosis, Gastritis, and Gerd Taking (Prilosec)

Help Omprozazole the enemy Diverticulosis Gerd IBS and Omprozazole Diverticulosis and Omprozazo

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kjam

kjam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:35 PM

Advertisement

Hi, I'm 46 years old and I am plagued by persistant constipation with IBS.  I've been on Omprozazole (Prilosec) for almost 7 years now.  Is there anyone out there that takes long term Omprozazole and has diverticulosis, gastritis, and/or gerd with IBS? I have suspected that the prilosec is the culprit.  Here's why:  Seven years ago I had a problem with heartburn for about a week.  Went to the Doc, and he gave me Omprozazole for a month. Started taking it without reading the precautions.  It says in the insert not to take longer than 3-4 weeks (something like that).  Well, I kept taking it for that whole month.  After I finished, a couple of days went by and, BAM!!  The heartburn was back with a vengence!  I thought I was having a heart attack.  I went to the Emergency room, only to find out it was heartburn!?  Heartburn that was a billion times worse that when I first started taking the Omprozazole to begin with!!!  So the Doc said I had to continue with the medicine indefinitely.  Since then, I went from minor heartburn to IBS, Diverticulosis, Gastritis, and Gerd.  This is sooooo miserable, as most of you know.  I really think that if I had never taken the Omprozazole, I would never have the problems I do now.  I may have some heartburn every now and then, but that would be it, I could handle it.  Now I can't get off of the stuff.  Everytime I do, I feel like I'm going to die (literally).  I've tried everthing, Prevacid, Zantac, Pepcid.  It doesn't even come close to helping with the misery.  The main problem right now is a pain my right side.  It started about 2-3 years ago as just a little pressure on the right side with constipation, which would stay for a couple of days and go away for a month or so, then come back.  Then it progressed to the pressure (always on the right side) and constipation staying longer, with good days lasting less.  Now it's constant pressure with cramping and pain in the morning and at night, with the constipation everyday for 3 straight months.  The afternoon is better.  I go potty, but it feels like it doesn't come all the way out, like it's stuck on the right side.  I've had 4 colonoscopies with endoscopies (the latest was performed about 2 months ago)  The doctor always removes a polyp (that he says is caused from the Omprozazole) but that's it's not serious, and is very common.  I still have Gerd, Gastritis, IBS, and now the new discovery of Diverticulosis (GREAT!) (note: Sarcasm).  I don't need this crap (literally)!  It affects every aspect of my life, and I know if I could get off the Omprozazole, I would feel so much better.  I don't know what to do.  I just started taking Probiotics 4 days ago, and last night I had one of the worst nights.  Cramp like diarrhea, but I NEVER EVER have diarrhea.  Sometimes I wish I would have diarrhea just to get it out. Oh ya, laxatives do not help.  Magnesium Citrate works, but is so hard on the bowels - so that's not an option.  I also do not want to get dependent on any kind of laxative.  I am going out of my mind with this!  I also eat very well, exercise, and not overweight - doesn't help.  Please, if you're on Omprozazole, please let me know if you have the same problems, or is it just me?  And if you're not on Omprozazole, DO NOT TAKE IT!  I really believe it ruined my life!  Please Help! sad.png

#2 Sugarfire77

Sugarfire77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:06 PM

I swear this sounds like I could have written this.  I am curious if you ever came to any sort of relief or resolution?  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Help, Omprozazole the enemy, Diverticulosis, Gerd, IBS and Omprozazole, Diverticulosis and Omprozazo

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here