Where can I buy Rifaximin online from other countries w/out Rx? - The Lounge - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Where can I buy Rifaximin online from other countries w/out Rx?

drugs

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 penathey

penathey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:22 PM

Advertisement

I can't get my doctor to prescribe Rifaximin (anti-antibiotic mentality) and can't afford to go doctor hopping to get an Rx. Is there a source you can get Rifaximin online without a prescription from some other country, OR can you get veterinary Rifaximin in this country without a vet's Rx? Thanks.

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:08 PM

Not sure if they use it for animals or not.

Unfortunately any place you can buy it without a prescription there is a high chance what you get will not have that drug in it, assuming they don't stop it at customs and you get it at all.  Once you get into the illegal market it is hard to trust anyone in the process is following all the other regulation like putting the medication that is on the label in the pill at the dose it says.  If you are lucky you get the right stuff that is just a little too old to be sold legally and it really hasn't gone bad/off, yet.

I'm sure pretty much any overseas pharmacy will sell something they call rifaximin, haven't seen a good resource for knowing which are legit of the no prescription needed variety.

Is there no way to get it through proper channels?  Have you had the breath test to show it would be an appropriate treatment for you?

My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 penathey

penathey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:11 PM

Thank you for the advice. I don't know about a breath test. For what condition? I am looking for a treatment for IBS with diarrhea and have heard that this plus using konjac glucomannan (as bulk) are also a treatment for diverticulosis.

#4 penathey

penathey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

Forgot to say that yes, they do use it in veterinary medicine.

#5 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:33 AM

Antibiotics are a treatment for SIBO, not plain IBS that has no SIBO with it.  SIBO has been found in some IBSers.  Not all IBSers have SIBO.

Throwing antibiotics at IBS blind without testing for SIBO means that you may be taking something you don't need, and if you are getting it black market, something that may not even be what you think it is, with a fairly low probability of it working, and for most of the people here that couldn't get breath testing it really doesn't work for a lot of them as they don't have the additional problem (SIBO - small intestinal bacterial overgrowth) that it specifically treats.  It does not treat IBS symptoms that are just from IBS.

These antibiotics don't work for all people with SIBO, and often don't work for long even if you have SIBO as the SIBO comes back for most people.  Is there some reason you cannot go to the doctor?  A fair number of doctors will through this at IBS blind even without testing, so if your current doctor won't do it you may find one that will.  If you get the prescription you may be able to try to get it cheaper from an overseas pharmacy that is an actual legitimate pharmacy (although  it still may be stopped at customs since you can get it in the USA).

Be careful even with legitimate overseas online pharmacies.  For some reason at least one of the good ones seems to get hacked repeatedly and more than one person has had credit card info stolen. I assume the illegal ones that dispense with no prescriptions are even less likely to be careful with your personal information.

From what I found it is used off-label for veternary uses and I can't tell if you can get it from a vet pharmacy (especially without prescription) or if that is one of the meds you still have to get at the human pharmacy.

My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#6 penathey

penathey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:07 AM

So is there a "breath test" for IBS and/or SIBO, or what does this refer to, and what symptoms does one have to manifest or report in order to get a doctor to do the test? Yes, I could probably find a doctor...if I had the money to hop from one to another and pay for it myself, since I am on Medicare. I lived overseas for quite a number of years and am very able to tell when I have a lot of bacterial action going on in my gut, and I have never been more sure that this is the case. I have always felt better when I had some reason to be prescribed antibiotics, and that isn't my imagination, it is a marked improvement in my gut functions.

All help is appreciated.

I have found overseas sources of drugs in the same family. 

#7 Mare123

Mare123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:07 AM

My g.i. doc gave me a full course of Rifaxamin samples to try after getting IBS for first time at middle age, after every diagnostic test said I was healthy as could be. Rifaxamin was like a miracle, but I had to take it a few times. SIBO was suspected because I responded so well to it. Beware, this drug is expensive and most insurance will balk at paying for it as it is still off-label for IBS, which astounds me. I found it to be incredibly easy to take, as far as antibiotics go. Even my naturopathic doctors thought it was "one of the safe ones". Good luck!

#8 chefrenotore

chefrenotore

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 26 December 2015 - 04:43 AM

I buy rifaximin here http://trustedrxsolu...ifaxan-usa.html

Recommended.

#9 Ann Medlock

Ann Medlock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 08:44 PM

I have a prescription for Xifaxan but can't afford it. Would be glad to substiture Rifaximin and appreciate fellow members' advice.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: drugs

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here