if my IBS is bad, my depression is bad - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

if my IBS is bad, my depression is bad

depression mood ocd pain

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 twonK

twonK

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:55 AM

Advertisement

Hi,

when my IBS pain/discomfort levels are high, then - guaranteed - my depression will be severe.  When the pain subsides, the depression lifts immediately too.

I've tried to understand (and break) this link through many different approaches: mindfulness (being with the pain non-judgementally), CBT, anti-depressants, IBS medications and so on to no avail whatsoever.  

I'd do anything to break this link since IBS pain is difficult enough by itself to bear.  IBS pain + depression I wouldn't wish upon anyone, let's put it that way.  If anyone also experiences this link I'd like to hear what you make of it and of anything you've found that helps.

Thanks, Pete

Meds: Provigil, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, others

Current: IBS-C, OCD, Refractory Depression for 20+ years

Fixed: Hydronephrosis, Bilateral compartment syndrome

#2 BQ

BQ

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14427 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:19 AM

Changing thought habits/patterns is difficult.  Be patient with yourself.  Just turn every negative thought you have into a positive one.  And before you know it that process itself is distracting you away from negativity and little by little your thoughts become more positive.

I think for myself .. becoming more accepting of the fact that I have a chronic illness that comes and goes with symptoms that can wax and wane helped me.  Every body has *some* weakness in theri bodies.... IBS is mine.  I'm not special that way... because everyone has something!  And I am very aware there are WAY worse things to have than IBS.  When I have a flare up... I say things like "Oh, ok I am having a flare up. It will pass eventually." to myself.  I do not get alarmed or upset by it anymore.  But it takes loads of practice to change the thinking.. so just keep trying to change your thoughts and be patient with you.

Just try distracting yourself away from your gut when you have a flare up. Keep busy.

Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

#3 twonK

twonK

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:42 PM

Just turn every negative thought you have into a positive one

Just try distracting yourself away from your gut when you have a flare up. Keep busy

Thanks for the post BQ but my experience of depression is not like that.  

When the IBS pain hits, I become incapable of even conceiving a positive or rational thought.  It's like someone flips a switch and down comes a black, all-encompassing drape through which I can see nothing but disaster, doom, pain, loss and suffering.  It sounds melodramatic but that's the best description I can come up with.  

#4 Gary62

Gary62

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:43 PM

I hear you on this Pete. I've been on anti depressants for years and i don't know now whether my gut problem is making me depressed or if i'm depressed because of my gut problems!  if that makes sense to you?

I read an article that says we have two brains, everyone has, the regular brain in your head but you also have a brain that's in the gut largely and has as many nerves and senses as the actual normal brain has.

The article really was all about how the two are linked inextricably. As much as you can be depressed normally they reinforced the idea that a lot of depression is actually coming off of this other side of the nervous system and affecting you upstairs as well in a mental as well as a physical way.

I notice i've been particularly bad over this winter and my digestive problems have reflected that. mad.gif

I'm currently at a loss as to what to do next.

Hope you feel better, i tend to get better in spring and summer biggrin.png  

#5 twonK

twonK

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:37 AM

Hi Gary,

I read (most of) a book on the subject - "The Second Brain" - which is apparently the Bible on such matters but I wouldn't recommend it - one of the worst books I've read!  Most of it is a misty-eyed walk down memory lane of how the author (amazing achievement though it was) and his chums made all these discoveries, rather than a practical, useful explanation of how it all works.  Even then as a layman I found it very difficult to draw any practical conclusions or avenues for exploration of my own - gah.

The problem for us sufferers is that a lot of this research was done decades ago but we still don't have effective treatments that take advantage of, or attempt to modify this gut-brain communication.  Like you, I'm just suffering until something turns up - there's no other option.

Fingers crossed for the Spring - I hope you feel better soon man.

Cheers,

Pete

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: depression, mood, ocd, pain

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here