I am lost . IBS or Colon Cancer - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

I am lost . IBS or Colon Cancer

Ibs colon cancer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 suzymasr

suzymasr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:37 AM

Advertisement

Hi,

I am really lost, I have be suffering with abdominal pain, gas and change in bowel movements for 3 months. I am 37 years old and I already visited 3 doctors and made several exams. CT Scan, ultrasound, FOBT, CBC, CEA tumor Marker and all normal, doctors told me I have IBS but I do not believe them.

I also suffer from anxiety and everyday its hell cause i can not stop thinking I have colon cancer. I do not have any symptoms during sleep.

If its IBS how does it give so much symptoms and if it is colon cancer why does not bleed.

I am lost

Suzy

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:28 AM

Why won't you believe the tests found no cancer?  Is there any number of tests or repeat of all the tests that would ever in anyway convince your anxiety that you aren't about to die?

If your anxiety cannot be convinced that you must have something about to kill you and there is no way your IBS symptoms can be from IBS and you have a tumor that hides from the doctors and every medical tests you might want to get treatment for the anxiety.  Especially if you anxiety is making you feel "lost".

My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 suzymasr

suzymasr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:43 AM

Thanks  Kathleen,

I am just scared because my symptoms do not go away, cramps all day, i have days that i struggle to push and others they are so loose that  cannot control. I had also days with smalls pellets, hard balls, everything weird. Every time i go to the bathroom i look down to see if there is blood, I am unable to stop this. Before this started i was fine and then i got a diarrhea from hell that started with food poison and never got better till now, note that i was getting on weight till then.

Now i do not know how to stop this.Yesterday i was in a place that i started to think that something will happen as soon i got out and it did, loads of pain, gas and diarrhea.

Is this typical in IBS?

#4 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:59 AM

IBS often starts after a GI Infection (Post infectious IBS) and is a chronic illness that causes symptoms over a considerable amount of time (usually in the 2-5 year range).

IBS is not an acute illness you expect to go away in a week or two. 

What you describe is really typical for IBS.

Colon cancer is subtle.  It starts with a polyp that develops over time as DNA is damaged from aging.

A lot of IBSers anxiously study their stool.  That you are feeling lost and unable to stop (out of control) about how you are feeling really makes me feel that talking to someone about treating the anxiety may be really important.  The anxiety makes the symptoms worse than they would be if you weren't worrying at them all the time, and IBS symptoms are also really good at provoking an anxious response.  It can be a vicious cycle and it isn't easy to just handle that by yourself without any help.  Some of the treatments for anxiety also calm down the IBS symptoms.  The cycle can be bad because the nerves in the gut over-react and the anxiety reactions can effect those nerves in the gut that are prone to over-react.

So, yes, this sounds all really typical of IBS, especially IBS that triggers anxiety which then creates a cycle where the symptoms of each keep triggering the other and keep the cycle going.

I know it is really hard when you are in the middle of this, but with the right treatment it can get a lot better. Be honest with your general doctor about how bad the anxiety is getting and they can get you to the right professional for you.  If you can do some meditation or other types of stress/anxiety self-help do as much as you can.  It often takes some time and practice before you see a big difference, but it can help a lot in the long run.

My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ibs, colon cancer

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here