Exercise Options with IBS? Yoga, anyone? - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Exercise Options with IBS? Yoga, anyone?

exercise yoga walking

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SLaurenAlise

SLaurenAlise

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:34 AM

Advertisement

I'm wondering what all of you do to integrate exercise into your lives, when it's so difficult to get out and move around if you're having cramps, constantly needing to run to the bathroom, etc.

My husband and I used to go on long walks at the beautiful state parks in the Hudson Valley, but now that my IBS attacks have worsened and become much more frequently, I don't want to even leave the apartment!

I have managed to start walking laps around the building where I work, which allows me to stick close and know that I can run inside to a bathroom quickly if I need one.  Some evenings, when I am feeling okay, my husband and I walk a couple of laps around the neighborhood, sticking within a few blocks of our apartment building.

I've also started using 2 lb. weights to exercise my arms and get my blood going, and I'm thinking about trying a beginning yoga DVD.  Has anyone tried yoga?

And do you have any other ideas for low-impact exercise(s) that IBS sufferers can try in order to keep their blood going and "stay active," even when your energy levels are low and you don't want to leave home?

#2 Gary62

Gary62

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:49 PM

Yoga is good. I didn't get heavily into it because i was already following other forms of exercise. But it's really good for strengthening and toning plus to do real yoga you have to concentrate on your breathing as you do the postures. Different kinds of yoga; you can get Hatha yoga which is more get into a pose and hold it for so long. Whereas Ashtanga yoga you move in and out of position in more flowing movements and it's more energetic.

Bodyweight squats and lunges are good as well. Work up to some high reps of bw squats will get your cardio going. 

Keep on exercising, it definitely makes you feel better.

Gary

#3 SLaurenAlise

SLaurenAlise

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:15 AM

Thanks, Gary -- I'll have to add lunges to my repertoire.  I can't stand squats, though smile.png

Someone else suggested some different arm exercises that I can do, both with and without the weights.

I'm still wondering if anyone else does yoga?

#4 pepperidge

pepperidge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:45 PM

I don't exercise at all at the moment. I am still traumatised after having an accident while jogging 2 years ago. I'm keen to try out yoga too. There seems to be a fair few videos on Youtube but I haven't gotten down to it.

#5 genie09

genie09

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:19 PM

since i cant make it to a gym either,i bought a treadmill for my house. its a huge life saver!! a new co-worker has ibs as well and we are trying to fit yoga into our schedules,i will try to keep you posted. or you can keep me posted on your experience. feel free to e-mail me. [email protected]

#6 SilverLuna

SilverLuna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:18 PM

I've tried Yoga with a book, and at the Yoga Institute, and I could not relax for at least half an hour into it, my anxiety is so bad is hard for me to relax. Using the book at home is the only thing it works. I also go to the gym and work out by myself, with my headphones. There is usually three people at the time I go so is okay.

#7 SLaurenAlise

SLaurenAlise

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:47 AM

I would think learning yoga from a book would be really difficult!  Is it hard?

Thinking that it would be easier to learn yoga if someone was showing me how to do it, I bought some yoga DVDs, so I have to make some time to try those out.

I would love to hear if yoga has actually helped to de-stress you guys... or if you think you're really getting a workout from basic yoga.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: exercise, yoga, walking

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here