Do you eat healthy and still get bloated? - Gas / Flatulence / Bloating - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Do you eat healthy and still get bloated?

bloating distention fullness bloat distended full

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 librooks123

librooks123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:17 PM

Advertisement

I'm trying to determine if my extreme intestinal bloating is due to maybe not eating right, or something else? I got gastritis 6-7 months ago and that's when the intestinal bloating started. Had terrible anxiety, stress, and worrying due to the gastritis. I think the combination of the gastritis plus my emotional state caused intestinal turmoil. My diet is a bit restrictive (and not as healthy as it could be) but I'm taking in enough calories so I'm no longer losing weight.

I'd like to know if there are people on here who suffer from intestinal bloating and distention despite doing all the "right" things such as eating healthy foods, exercising, taking probiotics or other supplements, etc.

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:54 PM

Healthy does not mean easy to digest and devoid of compounds that effect the GI tract by loosening stools or having compounds you can't digest that are fermented into gas by the normal colon bacteria.

You might check the low fodmap diet that has a lot of good healthy foods you can eat and limits the ones that create gas.

Some people bloat simply from the act of eating, so diet doesn't always help.

My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 DbabyWallace

DbabyWallace

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:52 PM

Lilbrooks123, I just commented on another post of yours. Bless your heart. I feel your pain. My bloating makes me look like I'm 7 months pregnant by the end of the day. I've done almost every diet out there. I've done the Paleo thing.... I've had in-vitro allergy testing done to identify what foods spiked an immune response and exacerbated the bloating. I then eliminated these foods... I've also eliminated most processed foods from my diet. ...I've eliminated dairy (this helps a lot!). But I do eat Greek yogurt. For some reason I have no problem with it. But even with such a CLEAN diet, I have had very little progress with the pain or bloating. Which is SO weird becasue I have eliminated all unhealthy food from my GI tract. 

For me, I can't eat fibrous fruits or veggies. This causes extreme pain and bloating as my GI tract can't seem to digest them. Stress or any change in schedule also makes the bloating so much worse. Being on a consistent sleeping schedule and getting more than 8 hours a night also helps decrease the bloating. What's funny is that processed foods sometimes cause less pain than the au natural. I think this is because it doesn't take as much for the body to digest them. 

I can tell that sugars don't do well with me (including wheat or other grains). Too much fruit (or certain fruits high in sugar) are really bad for my bloating and pain levels. Too fibrous of veggies (broccoli, spinach) and yeast also exacerbate my conditions. I find that the only foods that don't cause too much pain are greek yogurt and oatmeal. Very neutral foods. Try to experiment with what foods seem to cause the least amount of pain. I'm so sorry love. It's very difficult to function when you feel like your intestines might explode from all the bloating.

...I don't know if you do this too, but I seriously wear loose tops and stretchy pants all day long. I can't stand clothing that is tight around my abdomen! Take care. God Bless. : )   

#4 DbabyWallace

DbabyWallace

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:57 PM

Oh, and I thought I'd also mention... Green smoothies. Sometimes I blend up all my veggies with lots of frozen fruit, this way my vegetables are already broken down. Logically, I'd think this would make it easier on my digestive system. The sugar from the fruit causes too much bloating for me to do these very often, but if your stomach doesn't hurt from the natural sugars.... I'd try green smoothies to consume enough nutrients. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bloating, distention, fullness, bloat, distended, full

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here