New to this forum. Looking for answers. - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

New to this forum. Looking for answers.

IBS ANXIOUS BLOATING GLUTEN

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Wolf46

Wolf46

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:28 PM

Advertisement

Hello everyone!
First I want to say that I haven't been to any doctor yet regarding what I "think" is IBS.

A little about me: I'm 46. I work in retail which CAN be stressful at times.

I recently got promoted to a new position at my job which I keep telling myself is not stressful but for some reason I have dropped about 10 lbs. I was a steady 147 but now I'm down to 137. I've been at the new position about a month now with a week of training at another store included. I am in charge of all the pricing and signage in the store. It's a full time position which is great because I have been part-time for 3 years and I got a pay raise. So yeah...why would I feel anxious? I don't think I'm depressed however I have been on Paxil in the past. I really don't want to go to the doctor and get put back on meds. 

I have been feeling anxiety quite a bit. I try to eat my meals slow, but I am ALWAYS hungry. I like to think I have just a fast metabolism, but even after a meal I think I am not full.

I am of average build and I exercise but I never seem to gain any muscle mass. I ache almost all the time. My joints crack in and out of place. I sleep fairly well, although with the new job I have been getting up earlier so I try to make a point of hitting the bed by 9:30-10 pm.

I take certain vitamins like a B complex, D, E, C, Zinc/Magnesium and if I take GABA before I eat so it calms me.
Now the thing is, I've noticed that certain things like beer, bread and pizza leave me bloated and real lethargic. That's why I thought that maybe I have a gluten intolerance? I got some supplements that you take right before eating anything with gluten, but it's too early to tell if they will make a difference.

When my stomach is bloated I add some Apple Cider Vinegar to a glass of water and drink it down slowly. That does help immensely.

As far as trips to the bathroom? I go about 3-4 times a day I believe.

I'm positive that a doctor visit is on the horizon.

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:50 PM

Wheat also has fodmaps in it which is where the gas comes from and that can be a problem for people with IBS even if they tolerate the gluten just fine.

That being said getting tested for Celiac isn't a bad idea, but usually that is more accurate if you are eating gluten at the time of the test.

Gastritis can cause that hungry all the time feeling, so may be something to get checked out. 

My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 Wolf46

Wolf46

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:34 PM

Thanks for the reply. I did go to a doctor and he gave me some samples of Nexium. I'm supposed to take them until the samples run out and then I have an open script which  I can have filled if need be, but even though it's only day two, I'm still feeling bloated. The nurse took some blood and the lab will test me for gluten intolerance and Celiac Disease. Hopefully I don't have either. I've lost weight before under stressful life events so I'm pretty sure this is a passing thing. The doctor did ask me if I thought I wanted a prescription for anti-anxiety pills. I told him I would rather go the "natural" route but now I am considering it, at least until I get over this obstacle in my life. I read about Buspirone and that is supposed to help people with anxiety and IBS. I'll have to ask the doctor next time. I have one week to wait for the blood test results. A bit nerve-racking, to say the least!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: IBS, ANXIOUS, BLOATING, GLUTEN

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here