IBS stress related? - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

IBS stress related?

IBS-PI IBS-d Stress Adderall

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ReidShaw86

ReidShaw86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:50 PM

Advertisement

Hey guys. I'm new here so I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong category. With that said, a quick background:

My name is Reid and I am 18 years old. In 2011 I got sick; 9 ER visits and 3 hospitalizations later I was diagnosed with C-difficile Colitis (c-diff). At that point I had gone from 6'3" 205lbs to 145 pounds (I was previously very active, not over weight at all). The treatment didn't seem to help and I was too sick to even leave the house until March of 2012. I am now to the point where I can work (most of the time) and attempt school (despite a drop in grades) but social and personal life are nearly impossible. I posted a little more in-depth about my sickness here (http://www.ibsgroup....used-be-c-diff/) If you had any more questions about that. 

My GI diagnosed me with post infectious IBS but he really was at a loss as to my persistent stomach problems. My nutritionist (one of the smartest people I've met) has me on alot of supplements which have done wonders but I still get EXTREME bloating/diarrhea every time I eat. I've tried dieting but even on a Paleo diet (no grains or dairy) I was still having issues. My eating schedule is entirely irregular because I cant eat before work or I can't function at work. I live off caffeine. Work and school are both difficult. I went from a straight A student to B's and C's. I get headaches and tunnel vision after 10+ minutes of studying. I take Bentyl fairly regularly and that helps keep my cramping down but the bloating and 15-20 trips to the bathroom a day aren't effected. One thing I found that helps is Hydrocodone (or Norco in my case; anything narcotic slows the stomach down) I took Norco when I played football last year before games because it would slow my stomach down enough that I didn't have to worry about my stomach when I was on the field. I did not like taking such a powerful drug for something that drug wasn't intended for so I don't do that very often anymore. One of the more severe post-sickness symptoms was a lack of focus and motivation. I recently tried Adderall for the first time and it did wonders not only for my focus but also for my stomach. At work (waiting tables) I felt more sociable and I had a much easier time managing all my tables. What is usually a 10 hour stress funnel became a piece of cake. I've taken Adderall a few times since then (I don't have my own script and I have not seen my doctor since this) but I was able to make it through work and school finals plus two overlapping summer classes which I can guarantee would have been impossible in my normal brain-fog state of mind. So my biggest question is how much of my symptoms are stress related? I have not researched a lot but a quick Google searched did not turn up any links between Adderall and IBS except for one saying that Adderall was difficult on the stomach which has not been my experience so far. I have an appointment to see to be evaluated for ADD but I was wondering if anyone else had experienced a relief from taking any sort of ADD medication, anti anxiety medication or any sort of supplement? Any input would be fantastic! Thank you!

Also, please do not harass me about taking a drug that was not prescribed to me. I understand the implications of doing so and it is not something that I usually do or something I am continuing to do. As I said before I am about to be evaluated to get my own prescription. Thank you!

Reid

#2 Nature

Nature

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:20 PM

Reid,

I have IBS-D and stress definitely causes flair ups with me. My Natural Path is working out a diet for me, IE NO COFFEE, NO DAIRY.

Also, for the next 3 weeks I am eliminating food items such as, corn, wheat, gluten, cauliflower, Shellfish, and pork. She recommended to take the probiotic TUZEN twice a day. One upon waking and one before lunch. For almost two weeks now, I don't have diarrhea, but I am also a little calmer due to exercise. That said I still have extreme bloating and major gas. But the cramping has also gone. Maybe the cramping you have is from the diarrhea. 

My best advice would be to do cardio 4-5x a week for about 1/2hr-40mim. A brisk walk would be perfect. That will help with stress.

#3 IvyWinter

IvyWinter

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:33 PM

stress and anxiety is the main factor in my IBS. I dont really have trigger foods, as im learning. It's more when im stressed for work, or anxious about anything, i have urgency and D. it's a vicious cycle... D makes me anxious, and anxiety gives me D. Sometimes breathing exercises (i breathe in as i count slowly to 4, breathe out slowly to 4) and self talk helps. Sometimes, its at the point where my body is like "nope, too late, this is happening" and i have to run to a bathroom (like this morning on my way to work. ugh. terrible). I too, am considering anti-anxiety meds.I have a firm belief that could help me have less flare ups in general. 

#4 ReidShaw86

ReidShaw86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:49 AM

Yeah I am usually pretty careful about what I eat. I've been on strict diets before and it did nothing so now I just avoid trigger foods. I take VSL#3 probitoic but I'll have to try Tuzen, i'm willing to give anything a shot.

IvyWinter, let me know if you get any anxiety meds and if they work for you! My job is fast pace/high stress and my school load is alot right now so my stress has been through the rough and I can tell! Thanks for the input.

#5 storyofmylife

storyofmylife

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:16 AM

My GI diagnosed me with post infectious IBS but he really was at a loss as to my persistent stomach problems.

Sorry, this is a digression. But I get pissed off when they can't figure out the cause of the problem.

Arrrrrgh...Take care man.

Everytime I find the key to success, some IDIOT changes the lock. mad.gif

#6 commtr

commtr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:28 PM

Sorry, this is a digression. But I get pissed off when they can't figure out the cause of the problem.

Arrrrrgh...Take care man.

The digestive tract is a complicated system. But patients should insist on a complete set of exams before being lumped into a "I don't know it must be IBS" diagnosis. A lot of times doctors will label you IBS without doing what they should (colonoscopy, endoscopy, proper blood tests.)

Besides that, there's no point in getting upset with the doctors. If things were simple, we'd have cures for cancer and MS.

• storyofmylife likes this

#7 Reed

Reed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:35 PM

I talk with a lot of people who have IBS and also have headaches and anxiety.  And different things work for different people.  I think these boards are great because we can compare notes.  I think each thing fuels the other.  You get stressed and the IBS acts up.  That causes anxiety.  Then the IBS gets worse and because you are trying to accommodate the IBS by sitting/sleeping a different way, you wind up with headaches.  It's a vicious circle.  Breaking the chain is a big part of creating a successful treatment. 

Right now I'm reading "Live Right 4 Your Type" and I love it.  They talk about blood types and how they impact our health - and how to work with the various types.  Blood type A tends to have low stomach acid and are prone to digestive issues, have more anxiety, etc.  But they discuss how you can adapt your life to work with your strengths and weaknesses. 

Hope you keep finding answers that work for you.

#8 NotNormal

NotNormal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:03 PM

When I was first diagnosed with IBS I quit my high stress job, ate healthier, and went to the gym 5 days a week. I wish I could do all those things now while I have a flare up. But I do know that vigorous cardio and watching what I eat (not eliminating too many foods) helps me a lot. I also try to manage my work/life balance and not work too much. For me work stress makes my IBS bad.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: IBS-PI, IBS-d, Stress, Adderall

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here