Unexplained and undetermined GI issues - Welcome! - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Unexplained and undetermined GI issues

gallbladder abdominal pain nausea headache weight loss

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 blkhwksfan2010

blkhwksfan2010

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:51 PM

Advertisement

Hello,

I am new to the IBS support group and I couldn't be happier to find a place with so many people experiencing similar issues that I am having.

About three months ago I had an upper endoscopy performed as I was having some indigestion issues and GERD symptoms.  I would wake up in the middle of the night with a mouthful of acid that had worked its way back up into my throat. After having the scope performed, I was diagnosed with some signs of gastritis, esophagitis and hiatus hernia.  9 biopsies were taken from my duodenum, stomach lining and esophagus and they all came back completely normal.  I was told to continue taking my Zantac and take extra caution as to when I eat before sleeping and also to stay away from carbonated beverages and especially alcohol.  I am not much of a drinker so the alcohol is not much of a problem.

Around 2 weeks after my scope, I started having unexplained nausea and stomach pain with diarrhea that lasted for several days.  I called my GI and after going through a few things with me and what I had eaten leading up to the problem to see if maybe I had a stomach virus and he started thinking that I was having gallbladder issues.  Over the next couple of weeks I had an abdominal ultrasound, CT scan with contrast and HIDA scan with CCK performed.  Everything came back normal except for a couple of tiny cysts on my liver and one of my kidneys.  The HIDA scan showed I had an ejection fraction of 77% and it was functioning normally.  I really thought that the HIDA scan would be the determining factor as I had the same pain and nausea when they administered the CCK so my initial thought was "BINGO!!!!" and apparently that was no the case.

When I mentioned that I had pain with the CCK, my GI sent me for a surgical consult to get another opinion and I was told he could remove my gallbladder but could not guarantee that it would fix my issues.  He said there is no conclusive evidence that it is the problem and did not necessarily want to perform any unnecessary surgery that he didn't have to.  So back to the GI I went.

I was placed on a low fat diet for the last 2 months and with this I have lost close to 40 pounds.  This isn't necessarily a terrible thing as I was overweight (255 lbs) when this all started.  The weight loss has been good for me and I have been eating a lot healthier and cutting out things that were bad for me (i.e. fast food).

I started noticing that I was in a cycle such that when I ate I would feel nauseous with upper abdominal pain and just cruddy around 2 hours after and then that would last for about an hour and then I was hungry so I would eat something only to have it start over again.  I mentioned this to my GI and he then started thinking about gastroparesis so I just had a gastric emptying scan the other day.  I got my results today and of course....they are normal.  I am getting some blood tests done tomorrow with a full CBC, metabolic panel and thyroid level testing.

I am really wondering what could be causing this terrible affliction.  I was diagnosed around 13 years ago with mild UC with bouts of IBS and even though it has been tough, I was able to learn what caused me issues and what I could and couldn't do.  For some reason this came out of nowhere and it has been a tough 3 months so as you can imagine I just want to find out what is going on and what can be done to try and get some remediation.

I know I am missing some symptoms that I have been having just because there has been so much going on with this so if I think of anything else to add I will update my thread.  Any help is guidance is greatly appreciated and I just home I can find someone that may have had the same problem and might know what this is.

#2 rachel07002

rachel07002

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:45 PM

I wish I had an answer for you other then I feel your pain.  I was (and still am) the same way.  I had an upper endoscopy done and it showed gastritis, esophogitis and a hiatal hernia.  They added zantac to my already daily regime of aciphex.  That has somewhat helped but now I find myself more constipated then normal.  I would say 4 out of 7 nights I am dealing with really bad bouts of nausea  that wouldn't go away no matter what I tried.  It would only be at night.  TO this day we still don't know why.  I have a constant supply of zofran that has saved my life.  I do find that I get hungry about a half hour after, eat and then go to sleep. Although this is all at 1 am.  

I recommend the zofran if you don't have it and then applesauce.  It seems to sit well for me.  also gingerale.  But take it warm...and stir until there are no bubbles...That takes the carbonation out of it.  I hope you find answers and I will let you know if I find any other useful info!

#3 blkhwksfan2010

blkhwksfan2010

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:31 PM

Thanks rachel07002 for sharing your experience.  As of now they still have not been able to tell me anything other than I am in great health by all the tests that have been performed.  I have actually worked with my GI and GP together to try and figure out what we can do.  There has been some advancements as I am no longer nauseous all the time which is a huge plus.  However, I do experience the same feelings at least 3 or 4 times a day.  I found it interesting you mentioned ginger ale as it is something I always remembered from when I was a kid.  Same with saltine crackers.

Lately, I have been trying to eat 5 or 6 smaller meals a day and it seems to really help.  I was also put on a PPI for a month to see if it helped.  Unfortunately there wasn't much help from it and I found myself gassy all the time from both ends and not being able to burp was making me even more nauseous.  So I started Zantac again to try and help with the excess acid.  I go back to my GI in the beginning of August for an update so hopefully there may be some more progress by then.

What is zofran? I have never heard of it.

The other thing that I discussed with my GP was how stressed I have been lately.  Some changes at work and an excess amount of meetings have really been hard on me and even though I thought it was a coincidence that all of this happened a month or so after all the new stress may have just pushed my mind and body too far.  Based on my past and some other things, she recommended that I see a psychologist and see if I can get my stress and anxiety under control.  I was also given some anxiety meds to help get my mind relaxed so I can sleep as I was not getting nearly enough sleep at night.  I was willing to give this a try because I know that the mind can cause havoc on your body and especially your GI tract.

I guess we shall see how things progress.  I am actually going to go have some crackers and ginger ale for my evening snack.

Thanks again!!!!

#4 rachel07002

rachel07002

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:04 AM

No problem! Don't be afraid to ask for help.
Zofran is an anti-nausea med. It is not addicting and has really helped improve my ability to function and sleep.
Talk to your GI about it and see what they say.
Good luck and let me know if you need anything. even to vent

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gallbladder, abdominal pain, nausea, headache, weight loss

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here