New and officially at the end of my rope! - Welcome! - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

New and officially at the end of my rope!

IBS IBS-A New Teen Anxiety Depression Suffer Pain Help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rmm2015

Rmm2015

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:26 PM

Advertisement
Hi, I'm a 19-year-old sufferer of IBS-A. I've had IBS my entire (memorable) life. I alternate wildly between diarrhea and constipation. I also have extreme nausea, migraines, anxiety, and vertigo. Here recently I have immense blood in stools and vomit, and did an endoscopy and colonoscopy. The results were just gastritis and small polyps. Now my condition is getting worse as the days go on. My condition makes me even more anxious and irritable - and I've been clinically depressed for 7 years. I've tried many remedies including prescribed medications, OTC drugs, herbal supplements, fiber, diet changes, added exercise, stress management, and therapy/counseling. None so far have given me hope for improvement, and I'm at a loss with life. I miss 90% of the things I would like to attend due to IBS. I had to drop out of high school and obtain a GED, and I forced myself to attend college at which I am greatly struggling. I wake up at night in immense pain, go to the restroom, and repeat. After eating is the worse and it seems to not even matter what I eat anymore, just the same symptoms constantly. At this point IBS has taken over my life and depression is setting in even harder. If anyone knows of ANYTHING I can try, please let me know.

Sincerely,
A suffering teen

#2 Inception Hypnotherapy

Inception Hypnotherapy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:32 PM

Where are you located?

• Rmm2015 likes this

#3 Rmm2015

Rmm2015

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:51 PM

I am from Evansville, Indiana.

#4 Kennac24

Kennac24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:45 PM

Hey! I feel your pain... I've been suffering with iBS-A for years and have been suffering with depression and anxiety too. I know that it can feel hopeless and that some days are harder than others but just remember to hang in there. Try keeping a food diary if that helps to see if anything in particular is causing it.

Also I found that my anxiety made my symptoms worse and after years of struggling I learned not to worry. It's a part of me and thats it. I plan trips so I know where bathrooms are, i keep and orange and bar in a bag with me in case i need instant food. I try not to worry but yeah it still gets to me.

Well done for going to college tho'!!! I know it can be tough but talk to one of your lecturers about it and see if they know of any resources within the college that might be able to help. they might be able to help you in some way. If you have friends in college, explain to them whats going on and ask them to keep notes for you etc.

Just keep trying and don't give up because the good days are worth it. Every day may not be a good day but when you do have them, which you will, you will enjoy them more!

Good luck, Always here to talk should you need it! :)

#5 Rmm2015

Rmm2015

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:18 PM

Hey! I feel your pain... I've been suffering with iBS-A for years and have been suffering with depression and anxiety too. I know that it can feel hopeless and that some days are harder than others but just remember to hang in there. Try keeping a food diary if that helps to see if anything in particular is causing it.

Also I found that my anxiety made my symptoms worse and after years of struggling I learned not to worry. It's a part of me and thats it. I plan trips so I know where bathrooms are, i keep and orange and bar in a bag with me in case i need instant food. I try not to worry but yeah it still gets to me.

Well done for going to college tho'!!! I know it can be tough but talk to one of your lecturers about it and see if they know of any resources within the college that might be able to help. they might be able to help you in some way. If you have friends in college, explain to them whats going on and ask them to keep notes for you etc.

Just keep trying and don't give up because the good days are worth it. Every day may not be a good day but when you do have them, which you will, you will enjoy them more!

Good luck, Always here to talk should you need it! smile.png

Hey,

thank you for the support. :) 

The severity of my IBS changes due to stress as well,and I've been under quite a lot of stress lately. I'm trying my best to use some techniques to de-stress or learn how to stop worrying so much! Like you said, however, worrying is a part of who I am. I've been this way since I was young, so I just have to learn the best ways to manage it.

I've use food diaries before, but I'm very forgetful and tend to not fill them out. So they don't work well for me. I've tried some apps on my phone that work similar to a diary, but they set alarms reminding you to input information. These apps are pretty great and the one I'm using now even shows history of worst symptoms, fiber intake, water intake, etc. So hopefully this one works for me. :)

A lot of my "friends" don't understand my illness and aren't there for me or talk snotty about the fact that I wasn't in class, or that I got sick and couldn't see them. So I tend to keep my friends down to TRUE friends...which means only a few. However, my teachers are very understanding and caring so hopefully I make it through my schooling. I feel as if I failed myself in high school since I didn't finish "the right way". I always got straight A's, and never got into trouble, but the school wasn't understanding of me missing classes due to illness - even with doctor's written notes about it. The doctors and my family decided it would be best for me to be put onto a homeschooling program, and in my county on homeschooling, you can only obtain a GED. I wasn't even allowed to my high school prom. ): Oh well, I suppose it wasn't meant for me. I just am hoping college ends up being a greater, successful experience. I'm almost halfway through!

Thank you, again, and same goes for you!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: IBS, IBS-A, New, Teen, Anxiety, Depression, Suffer, Pain, Help

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here