Hello from JDinVirginia - New - Welcome! - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Hello from JDinVirginia - New

IBS-C diaper enema

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 jdinvirginia

jdinvirginia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:29 AM

Advertisement

Hello all!

I’m JD.  By way of introduction, I am an older guy who is medically incontinent for bowel due to a serious accident which damaged my pelvic nerves, causing me to lose much sphincter control and most of my ability to sense the presence of stool in the rectum or an approaching BM.  I suffer from severe chronic constipation, causing overflow diarrhea, plus a defecation disorder.

I meet all of the Rome III criteria for functional constipation and all of the criteria for IBS-C except that I do not have recurrent abdominal pain or bloating.

Recently I finished a lengthy series of diagnostics (defecogram, anal manometry, digital rectal mapping) and rectal biofeedback training.  They were helpful, but not particularly useful and definitely not fun, particularly stuffing latex balloons up my bottom for the biofeedback training!

Under the direction of my gastroenterologists I cope with my bowel incontinence by administering clearing enemas every morning to prevent fecal accidents later in the day (don’t laugh - it works).  I have written a serious and lengthy paper on the subject.  If anyone wants a direct copy, let me know.  My white paper "Enemas to Control Fecal Incontinence" is at the link below:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Incont/files/Enemas%20for%20fecal%20incontinence.pdf

I wear disposable diapers with plastic or PUL pants as a backup safety net.  I have been wearing diapers full-time only for about a year.   When I was trying to learn more about diaper selection and the best ways to control fecal leakage, I learned a lot from old messages in discussion groups.  I prefer Abena Abriform and Wellness tape-on diapers.  Were it not for the effectiveness of my diapers I probably would have become a recluse.

Due to recent shoulder surgery for a rotator cup repair, I have had to practice one-handed diapering.  It sounds funny, but having to change a messy diaper one-handed is something I would not wish upon my worse enemy!

I am semi-retired, still working part-time by choice so I can blow it all on travel.  I am an avid reader and enjoy playing bridge.

As my wife and I travel a lot, I am concerned with the challenges posed by travel with diapers and enema equipment, particularly international.  Last year, during a long cruise to the Amazon River in Brazil, I was scanned and pulled aside for a drop-your-pants inspection by TSA at the Boston airport because of my diaper.  For the trip I carried a suitcase totally filled with diapers, and had to administer my enemas in a really tiny cabin bathroom – not an ideal situation.  

I am very active on Yahoo’s Incontinence Support Group.

Best wishes to all,

JD in Virginia

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: IBS-C, diaper, enema

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here