Making your body spend more time digesting? - IBS Diarrhea (IBS-D) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Making your body spend more time digesting?

diarrhea ibs d ibs-d yellow stool digesting digest

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dECIBEL7

dECIBEL7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:00 PM

Advertisement

Similar to another topic I posted, but shorter.

Whenever I have a bowel movement in the morning, it's always yellow, soft, has undigested food in it, and makes my anus itch and burn like crazy. It's like my body pushes things through my digestive system at night without trying to digest it. But almost daily, I wake up and immediately have to go.

Whenever I have a bowel movement after noon, It comes out formed, and not itchy.

Whenever I have a bowel movement after about 5 PM, it comes out formed, not itchy, and brown. Healthy.

Any tips on how to skip this morning bowel movement? I was thinking about trying benadryl before bed. L-Glutamine seems to help a little. Immodium and other like drugs do nothing.

#2 ericlahey

ericlahey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:34 AM

It sounds like you are eating food a few hours before bed time. That can cause this from my experience. I find trying to avoid any meals / snacks 3-4 hours before sleeping helps. IBS sufferer tummys are more sensitive than normal peoples, so eating just before bedtime can push you to the toilet early morning more than others.

#3 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:50 AM

Everyones stool has some undigested tough parts of food in it every single day.  You don't want to see stuff in your stool you have to chew more.  Soft loose stool that hasn't darkened up makes it easier to see, but it is there.  We only grind stuff up in the mouth and a lot of things do not dissolve completely, so a lot of stuff comes out looking a lot like it was when it went in.

Your colon has a burst of activity around the time you get up.  Everyone has this.  It is normal, but some people with IBS will have a bigger reaction in the colon to the "get up and get a move on" signal.

Do you tend to eat more fat in the meals at night (or one of your meals that may be earlier and ready to come out in the morning)?  More fat means more bile.  Bile doesn't speed up transit through the small intestine, but can through the colon.  You don't absorb food in the colon, by the time it gets there you are mostly done with it.

Have you tried 300-600 mgs of calcium carbonate with meals?  Sometimes it can sop up that excess bile you are recycling.  Or talk to your doctor about a prescription bile binding agent?

My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#4 dECIBEL7

dECIBEL7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:19 AM

It sounds like you are eating food a few hours before bed time. That can cause this from my experience. I find trying to avoid any meals / snacks 3-4 hours before sleeping helps. IBS sufferer tummys are more sensitive than normal peoples, so eating just before bedtime can push you to the toilet early morning more than others.

Actually, I just started trying out your suggestion the other night. It does in fact help a little if I stop eating by 6 PM. Still have the yellow and itching though.

#5 dECIBEL7

dECIBEL7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:25 AM

Everyones stool has some undigested tough parts of food in it every single day.  You don't want to see stuff in your stool you have to chew more.  Soft loose stool that hasn't darkened up makes it easier to see, but it is there.  We only grind stuff up in the mouth and a lot of things do not dissolve completely, so a lot of stuff comes out looking a lot like it was when it went in.

Your colon has a burst of activity around the time you get up.  Everyone has this.  It is normal, but some people with IBS will have a bigger reaction in the colon to the "get up and get a move on" signal.

Do you tend to eat more fat in the meals at night (or one of your meals that may be earlier and ready to come out in the morning)?  More fat means more bile.  Bile doesn't speed up transit through the small intestine, but can through the colon.  You don't absorb food in the colon, by the time it gets there you are mostly done with it.

Have you tried 300-600 mgs of calcium carbonate with meals?  Sometimes it can sop up that excess bile you are recycling.  Or talk to your doctor about a prescription bile binding agent?

I don't eat a whole lot of fat, but yes, dinner has the most in it. This is just slow cooked chicken though.

I've tried calcium--my body just adjusts to it and I have to keep increasing.

And I tried Questran too. Not even a hint of relief.

I may as well mention that I've also tried Fiber (psyllium, dextrin, acacia, and whatever's in Citrucel), Zofran, and L-Glutamine, L-Glutamine is consistently somewhat helpful.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: diarrhea, ibs d, ibs-d, yellow stool, digesting, digest

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here