My story and how I succeeded dealing with IBS - Your Story - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo
- - - - -

My story and how I succeeded dealing with IBS

Dealing with IBS IBS diet IBS exercise trial and error

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 ibssurvior

ibssurvior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:42 PM

Advertisement

I think I developed when I was 18. I moved back home to a south american country from living in the US. I guess my system hadn't gotten use too my country's heavy oil use cuisine and street food. In the US however I did the typical fast food diet. I always exercised  quite a bit 2 or 3 sports a year. 

For the first two years 16 to 18 I always got this stomach virus in the summer that caused burning pain, painful bowel movements and diarrhea. I went to the doctor and I was treated with anti biotic,  a flour free diet and no oil, fried, caffeine or sugar drinks. After 2 weeks I felt back to normal. Doctor said I can eat like normal but be careful. 

I moved to europe for university and my stomach had no problem with the cuisine. I watched what I ate but not very carefully but no serious pain. IN 2008 I started to get serious issues, one trip after having a cup of coffee I got burning pain for 3 days but I was on a trip with a group so I just dealt with the pain. After sometime the pain left and I stopped drinking coffee by 2009 it because a issue. Constipation, frequent bowel movements, pain, nausea and "accidents". I only had two accidents  in 2010 very embarrassing but no one caught me. 

In 2010 my diet changed a bit and no accidents but I had some very close calls. This past year I decided to deal with the problem head on. I researched the issue and found out some things. I didnt go to a doctor yet because money is tight. But like my screen name says I have survived it and now I have it pretty well under control. With a strict diet, the right exercise, food journal, moist tolilettes, confidence and will power. 

I hope this helps someone.

My goals were: 3 bowel movements a day, healthy ones and no accidents or close calls. 

Food journal and diet:

I took 2 weeks during vacation to experiment with my body. I knew some basic things; no coffee, no milk, no combination of fried food. I also knew that early mornings and mid afternoons were the worst times for me. Also if I ate in the morning I need two hours before I needed to move my bowels so I always made sure within that time frame I had toilet facilities. If I ate lunch at 12 or 1pm by 4 or 6 I would have to go to the bathroom. Here where some close calls as I normally am returning home in traffic at these times. 

Food journal I used my smart phone: I wrote everything I ate and the time that I ate. Plus how I felt when I had a bowel movement after that meal. I wrote small little notes about how felt, did a feel incomplete, rushed, constipated. Within 1 week I had  idea of what I could eat to effect me and what I couldnt. Not exact but a general idea. I still had some troubles but I managed to lower the frequency.  I found out I can have some dairy products and be okay but if I had dairy that day I couldnt have anything spicy or heavily fried. Which I normally avoided. 

My advice for the food journal is use a smart phone if you have it. Right down everything in a calender. 

The diet, as I said I experimented, I tried out a lot of combinations of food to see what I could eat and how it effected me. I came up with some surprising things. One I could have pizza, burgers and some fried food and be 100% okay for the day and the next day. No dairy and spice in the same day, and one day a week I needed some heavy fiber which I had on a weekend when i knew I would be home near a toilet. Shockingly I didnt need to go and my bowel movements were pretty normal. That is not to say I havent had some difficult days. 

My goals were to have 3 bowel movements a day and at certain time frames and avoid close calls or accidents. 

Exercise: I found out if I eat even with a 2 to 3 hour break and I do abdominals I have to go to the bathroom. So I avoid core work unless and I have a bathroom facility near by. I dont eat after I exercise as my system cannot process it I need at least one hour. But frequent exercise like running or even martial arts helps. But set your body too a time schedule it will help. 

Mentality and will power:

Perhaps the most pseudo science in my treatment and my personal victory over IBS. But I think it worked. Again try this when you have some free days not during work or school days. I would recommend 7 to 10 days off. Here it goes.

I was the IBS victim who had to go to the bathroom when I had the urge like immediately. If I try to hold it for a few minutes I would have a "accident". Never in public or at least not caught but I had some very close calls. 

During my 10 day break whenever I was home and I had the urge I tried to hold it for as long as I could. Not every healthy people told me. But I read somewhere that IBS is also something mental. 

Once I had a sudden urge I was home so I tried to hold it. I managed to for 20 minutes. Over the days I managed to hold it for 2 hours. Mentally it taught me to keep it at the back of  my mind and control my body. It wasn't easy but I think it worked. 

Okay here is a bad day that I had this past monday. I went hiking and I am very nervous when i go hiking with friends because of no bathrooms. I dont want to be the guy pulling down his pants in the middle of the hike. Well as we went up the trail I felt a tiny urge to go to the bathroom. Nothing major which I attribute to my diet. 2 hours later as we headed down I felt a bigger urge to go to the bathroom. I put it at the back of my mind, 30 minutes away from the cars I felt it kind of bad that I need to stop and breathe. After I composed myself I kept moving but it was very bad. Though after some serious mental focusing on my need to go to the bathroom the urge disappeared for a while. By the time I got to the cars on my drive home which was 20 minutes no traffic as I pulled up to my house I felt the need to go very bad as bad as I did when we headed down from the top. Being home I was okay I felt relaxed so I rush inside and was okay though it was very close. I though I was going to have another accident during the hike.

Mentally I managed to avoid the need to go in front of my friends and I managed to get back home. Though i wont lie 5 minutes from home I was rushing. But imagine that feeling 2 hours hike plus a 20 minute car ride. But I managed to control it and got home okay. No embarrassment and no accidents. 

Conclusion:

I am 25 years old I have suffered from IBS since I was 18 years old and from 20 it got very bad. At 23 I had some close calls and 2 accidents. 

A year ago I wanted to try to conquer it. My goals were to have regular bowel movements, 3 a day, healthy movement like no loose stool or constipation. But most importantly tell my body to wait when  there are no bathroom facilities. 

It isn't easy. This past week has been a bit hard because I got a stomach virus but I dealt with it and had no major problems. 

I am like some of you afraid to eat sometimes. Quite a few times this past year I have skipped meals or not eaten in front of friends at lunches or breakfasts because I knew what will happen later. A few times but less the before I have use the bathroom facility 3 or 4 times in 1 hour on a bad day which i still have. 

Though i keep track on my food journal and I noticed when i started this I had 3 or 4 bad days a month. With the exception of the stomach virus I got I havent had a bad day in over 4 months. If it had not been for this virus it would have been 5 months. 

It isn't easy and I hope I can help someone who is dealing with this. The most important thing is to seek help and dont be embarrassed. I say to people I have a weak stomach. That should be enough explanation. 

I hope this has helped someone and if you need any advice feel free to ask. I havent discovered a cure but I live a much better life now then before. I am not afraid to go out  I am cautious but the most important thing is I feel better about myself and my stomach feels better too. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dealing with IBS, IBS diet, IBS exercise, trial and error

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here