Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

IBS-D impulses

Tags
imodium
2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  john234 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Background: 32 year old male. IBS-D for 3 years. Have 7 bowel movements a day, usually medium loose. Fiber and diet changes haven't helped. Stool tests and colonoscopy had no results.

Recently, I was placed on imodium by GI. I take two capsules, 2 mg each, every morning right right as I wake up. This brings me down to about 3 bowel movements a day. However, I still have bowel movement impulses about 4 times a day. During an impulse, I sit on the toilet for a while, and then leave the restroom without having a bowel movement. Has anybody else seen this effect?

Any idea what could be causing the impulses? Is it stress or anxiety? I do notice that my symptoms get worse during the weekdays at work, and I have tried some stress exercises and meditation but they have not helped.

#2 ·
Shot in the dark here, but maybe is habit?

When you are at home you are distracted by everything you have to do and your not in the same routine all the time. At work you might be in a very rigid routine and your brain is simply thinking "oh it's that time" weither you have to go or not.

I gave up coffee two weeks ago due to IBS, but I still have the impulse to drink something hot, or go through the routine of making coffee in the morning, even though my body has finished the caffeine withdrawals.

Try changing your routine at work if you can, maybe even a sight change would reset the habit impulse.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.