Fecal bacteriotherapy for IBS-D : Success - Page 2 - Fecal Microbiota Transplantation (FMT) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Fecal bacteriotherapy for IBS-D : Success

Fecal bacteriotherapy fecal transplant IBS-D recovery success bacteria human probiotic infusion Crazy stuff

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#21 KingBoo

KingBoo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:04 PM

Thanks TheFreeman for this post. I like most others have heard a little about FMT, but was not sure if would be successful for IBS. I'm curious what criteria you used for your donor? Thanks!

#22 TheFreeman

TheFreeman

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:10 AM

Day 42 : It is actually getting even better:  I am more regular than in the prior days of this experiment.

I must admit that I was getting quite desperate with IBS, so my main criteria were accessibility, a perfect digestion and no known diseases.

It is actually harder to find someone willing to participate than someone with a good overall health. In the end, I figured that my spouse was a good choice since I know her health very well and anyway, if she had diseases, I most probably already share them.

Seriously, all this experiment had an impressive effect on my overall energy/motivation level. Since then, I mysteriously started many new activities (gym, English training, pmp certification, visiting my family more often, biking to the job, etc.). There is something quite deep going on, I suspect my improved digestion have hormonal influences on my behavior.

It's crazy how fast my whole life is adjusting, I almost never think about IBS anymore.

I hope you guys can get better too.

TheFreeman

#23 Ellie May

Ellie May

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:42 PM

I'm in tears thinking of your success with FBT.

24 years i have been dealing with IBS-D. As much as this totally grosses me out I feel I have no other option than to try this. It may take me a few weeks to psyche myself up for this, but I can't live like this any longer.

Thank you Freeman for giving me hope ohmy.png huh.png rolleyes.gif   

#24 PD85

PD85

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:49 PM

I am thinking that this is going be the next treatment I try. How important is eating the diet of your donor for the days following the treatment?

"I could be wrong about everything." -Me

#25 kthejung

kthejung

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:07 PM

Just dropping by to give credit where credit is due.  Your blog was the starting point for me in finding information about the Fecal Transplant process, which resulted in my freedom from IBS-D.  I have also started a blog and am making sure to update to ensure that other IBS sufferers have access to information regarding the FMT procedures.  I believe that the IBS disorder affects more people in civilized countries than most people realize because doctors continue to prescribe powerful antibiotics to patients without having a standardized and proven method of restoring beneficial bacteria back into the patients after receiving the antibiotics.  Probiotics are not enough to restore the lost balance because the variety of bacteria found in human stool is so much more diverse.  Scientists are also discussing whether the FMT procedure may help some psychological issues since bacteria in the gut has been proven to play a role in brain function.  Poop really may be the cure of the future.  Anyways, thanks for your post.  IBS-free for over 2 weeks now.

#26 TheFreeman

TheFreeman

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:50 PM

Hi there,

Day 68 : Just got back from a 20 days hicking/camping trip in the American south west and I haven't had a single digestive issue. This is kind of a miracle given the quantity of dried camping food that I eaten. (It did give me some gases from time to time, so it does to everybody else in my group).

For the record, I also drank and eat way to much in an undisclosed Nevada gambling city: it resulted in severe headaches but no GI trouble.

KThejung : I'm glad that you had the balls to try it for yourself, for this is definitely not everyone who will. I share your theory on the antibiotics, for bacterial unbalance is most probably a strong source of what is usually labelled "IBS". Thank you for the feedback, it is appreciated.

flyingv8 : I wish you the best luck with the transplant, I hope it help you as much as it does to me. From what I read on your blog, you are on some serious medication. If any of them are antibiotic, you might want to discontinue them 1 days before doing the transplant. From what I read on other medical protocol, taking antibiotic will definitely sabotage the experience (which is quite logical actually).

PD85 : Truly, I don't know. It was my best guess that the new bacteria would survive best in an environment similar to the one of the donor, but then there's been no double blind controlled experiment about the variable of fecal transplant... Taken to the other extreme, eating only Jell-O for the month following the fecal transplant would definitely limit the growth of the newly introduced bacteria... The diet is probably important.

Have fun

The Freeman

#27 TheFreeman

TheFreeman

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:25 AM

FYI, here is a recent medical experiment with fecalbacteriotherapy. The author used triple coated gellule pills instead of direct transplant. Quite interesting.

Given the current speed of medical procedure approbation, this kind of treatment won't be available to the large public before at least 10 years.

http://www.ctvnews.c...ction-1.1481798

TheFreeman

#28 PD85

PD85

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:16 PM

I think I'm going to try this FMT protocol this weekend. What confuses me is, there is probably more of my current kind of stool inside me than any amount of new stool I could put in, so why would the new stool "take over" or not just get destroyed by my ever powerful bad stool?

"I could be wrong about everything." -Me

#29 TheFreeman

TheFreeman

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:08 PM

I doubt that your current bacteria are actually stronger than the newly introduced one, specially, I don't think they are more adapted to their environment. I see them as opportunist organisms that have taken over when the normal occupants have been entirely washed out by antibiotic (or other causes).

After the reintroduction of other organisms, a new equilibrium is created between every existing bacteria family.

Good luck with your experiment.

#30 jackt

jackt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:59 PM

Thank you for sharing TheFreeman

Your feedback is really giving me hope! smile.png

I have had IBS for almost 2 years, surely I cannot compare myself with most of you guys here enduring it for 10+ years....

In the past 2 years IBS really influenced my life in a negative way.

I 've been on antidepressant for 6 months now because I had a really bad periode of flare ups in January/February......I got really depressed...

For the first time in my life, I cried in front of my GP and psychiatrist.  Usually I'm a "man", I can endure physical injuries just fine, except for being kicked in the balls. Who would've thought that this "mentally / physical" problem as my GP and psychiatrist refers to lead me to breakdown.

I'm not mentally prepared for putting feces up there yet, so in the meantime I wil try a different approach. 

Do you think replacing the feces with alot of probiotics, or pouring yoghurt directly into the rectum, may yield any results?

#31 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:10 PM

I saw this news item today, not it takes a bunch of pills to do this, but they are working on a purified bacterial pill system.

This was looking at C. diff treatment, not IBS, but the delivery system should translate to any use of fecal transplants.

http://www.ibsgroup....-diff-bacteria/

Patients ingested between 24 and 34 capsules containing fecal bacteria, often donated by family members.

To make the pills, researchers processed the feces until it contained only bacteria, and then encapsulated the bacterial concentrate inside three layers of gelatin capsule. This ensured the pills wouldn't leak or disintegrate until they were past the stomach and into the small intestine -- a potential advantage over other methods because it covers more of the GI tract, does not involve invasive and more costly procedures, and is more comfortable for patients, Dr. Louie said.

Edited by Jeffrey Roberts, 09 October 2013 - 03:29 PM.
Linked to story now directly on website forums

My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#32 TheFreeman

TheFreeman

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:24 PM

Jackt : Unfortunately, I have messed around with direct implantation of commercial probiotic (Natural Factor + iFlora, ~24 bacteria species) in the last year : it didn't changed a thing to my condition. In retrospect, I now realise that this particular experiment was posed to fail since I had already re-introduced theses particular bacteria via the oral route. Anyway, you can't expect that 24 bacteria species to do the job of the required approximate 500 families of bacteria (thousands of bacteria species).

I haven't wrote much on the forum about it, but I pretty much tested every possibility on myself before going with fecal bacteriotherapy : actually, I have yet to see something that I haven't tested. I literally have an account on PubMed and spent a fortune in blackmarket medication.

For the record, here is a partial list of was I tested :
Candida --> Nystatin + fluconazole + itraconazole

SIBO --> Rifaximin + Mesalazine

Tapeworm and parasites --> Praziquantel + niclosamide

FODMAP Diet

Breaking vicious cycle Diet

Paleo Diet

No gluten/casein diet

Low carb diet

Zillion of different supplementation (All the vitamins and minerals in all form, fermented cod liver oil, strange oils and stuff..)

Fermented stuff : homemade yogurt, kefir, sauerkraut, etc...

etc.

The worst with IBS is definitely the depression that come along, it almost crashed my career and my private life. I'm pretty sure that IBS result in homeostasis irregularities, hormonal unbalance and nutritional deficiency--> here come depression and brain fog. The Low-Fodmap diet actually helped to control my depression / IBS symptoms until I fix myself with the transplant. I hope it can help you too.

TheFreeman

#33 mr120

mr120

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:02 AM

This is a strange question,

I have a cheap blender (smoothie maker) but it has a tap on the bottom, i want to block this up really, i was thinking gaffa tape on the inside across the hole... but then thought the things used 2 make the tape might contaminate the mixture..

Does anyone have any ideas what I could do other than to buy a new blender?

Thanks

#34 TheFreeman

TheFreeman

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:12 AM

I doubt that the tape contain elements that are bactericid and whatever bacteria that might be on it are very unlikely to make a difference in the overall mixture.

Anyhow, I would still suggest a new blender, the one I used cost less than 20$. Best investment ever.

If you use your smoothie maker, just make sure that it is big enough... These tend to be smaller than regular blender.

TheFreeman

#35 lookingforcure

lookingforcure

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:13 PM

Thanks for posting this! I just may be desperate enough to try this with time, perhaps getting my father (perfect digestion, bless his heart) to help me out. One thing I found interesting: did you only perform one procedure? Typically I know for c-diff and especially UC the procedure is done several times over 5-10 days. Just wanted to point that out, since while oly one day may have worked for you it may take longer to work for others. Please keep posting though, it gives me hope and your "healthy does of despair (optional)" actually made me lol.

#36 TheFreeman

TheFreeman

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:51 PM

Day 75 : Still going well. I switched to a Paleo diet (mostly meat, vegetables, fruits and nuts, in this order) yesterday for fitness reason (now that I have the energy to train properly, I want to be freaking ripped)

Lookingforcure : I actually tried my luck with a douche a week before my "official" protocol, but it didn't not turn too well. Since this first experiment ended with a very low quantity of transferred stuff, I don't actually consider it.

I had warned my donor that it might takes more than 10 repetition before it work : finally one was enough.

#37 jackt

jackt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:48 PM

Interesting stuff: http://www.huffingto..._b_3569342.html

#38 Moises

Moises

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:48 PM

Thanks for that.

#39 jennvmail

jennvmail

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:32 PM

Thank you for posting your success. Your updates give me hope and have given me an option when I felt I had none. Please keep them coming.

#40 useraccount

useraccount

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:20 AM

Some very interesting new info from the ACG.  70 percent sucees rate in IBS with FMT. 

I started a thread about it here...

http://www.ibsgroup..../?hl=transplant

The press release is here...

http://gi.org/media/...ng/fmt-ibd-ibs/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fecal bacteriotherapy, fecal transplant, IBS-D, recovery, success, bacteria, human probiotic infusion, Crazy stuff

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here