New Low-FODMAP Diet Book Released 4 Days Ago - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

New Low-FODMAP Diet Book Released 4 Days Ago

lowfodmap fodmaps ibs book diet

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 abbyladybug

abbyladybug

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:03 PM

Advertisement

So a while back, I pre-ordered a book that wasn't yet released for my Kindle. Four days ago, it magically appeared on my Kindle, and I've now read most of it. It's called The Complete Low-FODMAP Diet: A Revolutionary Plan for Managing IBS and Other Digestive Disorders by Sue Shepherd and Peter Gibson. It's a great reference. I like it so much that even though I have it on Kindle, I'm thinking about buying a hard copy, too. It's a reference book with a lot of recipes, too. Definitely one to get if you have IBS (particularly if you know a low-FODMAP diet is helpful for you). 

The parts that have really stood out so far are the section that explains how to go from a strict low-FODMAP diet to a more varied diet. The way you test new foods isn't intuitive, and there's an order to it that apparently makes a big difference. I also really like the part where they explain about the difference between gluten-free and low-FODMAP. When you're limiting FODMAPs, you end up cutting out a lot of foods that have gluten, but it's not because the gluten is bad on its own. It's got to do with fructans in the wheat (the carbs in wheat, not the protein). The last thing I really found illuminating is that when you "mess up" on your low-FODMAP diet, you do no permanent damage. You can get back on board to recovery pretty quickly. OTOH, if you "mess up" and you have celiac disease, you may have a really tough time getting your health back. Low-FODMAP diets are about the total load of FODMAPs on the system, not utter avoidance. 

Anyway, you might like other parts of this book, but I think it's definitely a real welcome addition to the literature on this newish subject.

#2 5Tay10r

5Tay10r

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 01:26 PM

Hi abbyladybug! I just wanted to thank you for pointing out that Low-FODMAP diets are about the total load of FODMAPs on the system, not utter avoidance.

I had not heard that point before, but it makes sense! I am 10 days into a very "strict" low-FODMAP diet and was worried because I had already messed up. Thanks for the encouragement!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lowfodmap, fodmaps, ibs, book, diet

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here