The Great Fiber Debate - help please - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

The Great Fiber Debate - help please

fiber ibs-c constipation slippery elm methylcellulose citrucel psyllium

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Alyeska Martinez

Alyeska Martinez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:29 PM

Advertisement

Hey guys,

I'm back with more questions. I had finally found a fiber that worked for me - methylcellulose (Citrucel brand). I was doing better, but I decided to look up the ingredients one day, and found that maltodextrin (no idea why it's in Citrucel) is derived from corn or wheat. These are both things my doctor told me to cut out of my diet.

So I decided to try Slippery Elm capsules. It's only been 3 days, but they really are not helping. I'm considering trying Psyllium, but I know it ferments in the gut and causes a lot of gas for many IBS people.

So, here's my debate:

• Do I continue with the Slippery Elm?
  • Do I go back to Citrucel (knowing I'll be eating corn or wheat)?
  • Do I dare try Psyllium (though it might make things worse)?

I just don't know what to do. unsure.png

#2 ashweb

ashweb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:10 AM

If Citrucel works, go back to it unless you have Crohn's or something where you need to follow Dr's instructions strictly. Sometimes I wonder if Citrucel doesn't turn into concrete for me....but when it's all constipation, all the time, how would i know?! ;-)

#3 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:42 PM

You might call the doctor, but I say if it is working for you (and it may be derived enough to not be causing the problems from things in corn or wheat that are fermentable and Citurcel is not) then use it.

Most of the everyone must avoid all these things are not all that solid, some people may need to, but a lot depends on what works for any given person.

• ashweb likes this
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fiber, ibs-c, constipation, slippery elm, methylcellulose, citrucel, psyllium

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here