Pain - Sometimes going into back/chest/arm form abdomen - Abdominal Pain - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Pain - Sometimes going into back/chest/arm form abdomen

pain left side abdomen back chest arm

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BFMH14

BFMH14

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:45 AM

Advertisement

Hello,

Has anyone experienced Abdominal pain that can sometimes travel up into your chest or arm? I know this sounds like a heart attack and I'm someone who is very paranoid about that (even though I'm 29 and in good shape) but I've been checked by a cardiologist. I've had IBS for years, and my symptoms can shift and change. I have been going through periods where I have sharp pains in my abdomen, especially my left side. Sometimes the sharp pain can be felt even higher into my chest area and into my shoulder/upper arm. I know the nerves in that area are not very specific, so it could be pain that is actually originating in my stomach area.

Has anyone had any similar experiences? Could you shed any light on this? It would make me feel a lot better.

Thanks so much.

#2 ophelia

ophelia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:56 AM

Hi, I feel something similar but it's on the right side. Dr's have suggested IBS but I'm not convinced.  I've had upper right side discomfort for almost 6 months. It travels to the back,shoulder blades, sometimes slightly lower, and sometimes I feel it down my right arm.

#3 gingerbrown12872

gingerbrown12872

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:35 PM

I experience similar symptoms. The pain very clearly originates in the abdomen, but will sometimes radiate to the back, shoulders and upper arms. I've had multiple cardiac tests including an EKG while in pain, and no cardiac concerns have shown up. My dr has suggested that spasms may be hitting nerves and causing the pain to radiate. Using a heating pad on the abdomen reduces all the symptoms, including the radiating pain, significantly.

#4 ibsad

ibsad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:45 PM

I find when its bad the pain radiates up to my shoulders and back. Boy does it hurt!

#5 Kimberly555

Kimberly555

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:48 PM

Hi.i am new here.i havent figured out how to post a welcome yet.your symptoms sound alot like mine.i have been suffering three yrs now and this past yr has been brutal.my pain can hit 8 on a ten scale.its often to the rt of my belly button,sometimes in the upper center.its like spasm waves and often times ends up many bathroom trips.the pain goes to my back also excrutiating.i too have been cardiac cleared.i am also losing weight.i have lost twelve lbs in 16 mths.i am so afraid its cancer.i have had sooo many tests including colonoscopy and endoscopy.both fine.cat scan fine.gastro wants a mri and hes done.do you ever vomit ? I am keeping a food diary.sorry for being lengthy.kim

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pain, left side, abdomen, back, chest, arm

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here