Yet Another Fecal Transplant Journal - Fecal Microbiota Transplantation (FMT) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Yet Another Fecal Transplant Journal

Fecal Transplant Bacteriotherapy FMT Human Probiotic Bacteria

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MattE

MattE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:21 AM

Advertisement

I am a 28 year old caucasian male. I have suffered from IBS-D for 6 years. I've tried every drug and "treatment" available. Desperate for a cure, I followed The FreeMan protocol (http://www.ibsgroup....-ibs-d-success/) last night. 

I took Imodium 1 hour before administering a mix of 75g of human probiotic from a healthy donor and 400ml of saline. Unfortunately, I didn't see that the 400ml of saline was actually only 300ml saline + 100ml cereal grain. 

Let me warn anyone thinking about doing this themselves. This was the worst experience of my life. The solution had way to much saline in it. I didn't want to waste it, so I vowed to press on. I gave myself 5 enemas and reloaded and re-lubed after each one. It leaked everywhere. It was horrendous. I had to take 3 showers before I felt clean again.

Sadly, because it was so liquid, I was only able to hold it in for about 20 minutes. After that roughly 3/4 of it was let out in the toilet. 

It's been 12 hours and I might have 1/4 of the solution still in me. I haven't had a BM yet, but because of the Imodium + my meds (Imipramine), I probably won't have one for at least a day or two. 

I really don't ever want to go through this again, but I have to give it at least one more try if I'm not already cured.

I'll keep everyone posted throughout the week. 

#2 lookingforcure

lookingforcure

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:13 PM

Best of luck, be sure to keep us updated!

#3 Tracy54a

Tracy54a

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:08 AM

Don't be discouraged Matt. The first time is the worst. After a while it becomes as routine as brushing your teeth. For more guidance on how to get it right see these DIY Instructions on The Power of Poop website.

#4 PD85

PD85

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:23 PM

Hahaha, my experience was just as messy. My whole entire bathroom, even the walls, were a mess. I really think an enema bag is necessary.

• MattE likes this

"I could be wrong about everything." -Me

#5 MattE

MattE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:04 PM

Hahaha, my experience was just as messy. My whole entire bathroom, even the walls, were a mess. I really think an enema bag is necessary.

Me too! It took me forever to get it clean. I purchased an 18 oz enema bottle so that I don't have to reload it next time. I also purchased a funnel to prevent spilling. Ugh. That was traumatizing. I made so many mistakes. Next time will be so much better. 

Meanwhile, I didn't have any BM's the day after, but today (Sunday) I've had 3 small ones. They were moderately painful and some were full of mucous, but they were fairly solid. It's most likely the Imodium, but it will be interesting to see what happens in the next few days. 

#6 MattE

MattE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:22 AM

Update #2

I had 1, fairly solid BM Monday (Bristol Stool #4-5ish). I'm still on my typical medication (Imipramine), but I've been experiencing an uptick in gas pains that I don't normally have. Could still be residual from imodium still being in my system.

This morning (Tuesday) I have had painful gas, but no BM yet. I wonder if the bacteria are doing battle right now and it's creating large volumes of gas. 

We'll see...

#7 PD85

PD85

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:06 AM

Update #2

I had 1, fairly solid BM Monday (Bristol Stool #4-5ish). I'm still on my typical medication (Imipramine), but I've been experiencing an uptick in gas pains that I don't normally have. Could still be residual from imodium still being in my system.

This morning (Tuesday) I have had painful gas, but no BM yet. I wonder if the bacteria are doing battle right now and it's creating large volumes of gas. 

We'll see...

I also had worse gas for several days after the FMT. It was also much worse smelling! Probably something to do with the foreign bacteria that was introduced.

#8 kthejung

kthejung

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:31 PM

What exactly are you doing to get the mixture on the wall?(not really a question)  I did mine in the bathtub, which was easy to clean during my shower.  

If you have to do it again, here are some tips:

rub vicks on your nose for the smell

have a BM before the procedure to clear the colon

lay on the left side afterwards to reduce the urge to go

the different lying positions afterwards are crucial to spread the mixture around in the colon because bacteria in solid stool only moves one way in the colon

#9 PD85

PD85

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:26 PM

What exactly are you doing to get the mixture on the wall?(not really a question)  I did mine in the bathtub, which was easy to clean during my shower.  

If you have to do it again, here are some tips:

rub vicks on your nose for the smell

have a BM before the procedure to clear the colon

lay on the left side afterwards to reduce the urge to go

the different lying positions afterwards are crucial to spread the mixture around in the colon because bacteria in solid stool only moves one way in the colon

It got on the wall because it got all over my hands and butt and legs and stuff and I had to get up to get an enema bottle to use since the turkey baster failed. I tried not to touch anything but man it just ended up friggin EVERYWHERE lol. This is why I recommend an enema bag and probably to do this in the bathtub lol. 

I did a lot of acrobatics and really shook my stomach area. I did a semi hand-stand at one point and held that for a while. That was after I had cleaned up fortunately laugh.png

#10 kthejung

kthejung

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:39 PM

Not the first time I heard about the baster failing but an enema syringe should be worse since the pipe is smaller in diameter.  If you empty your rectum by having a BM before the procedure, liquefy the mixture in the blender well, and insert the baster far enough into the rectum, you should be able to administer the mixture very easily.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fecal Transplant, Bacteriotherapy, FMT, Human Probiotic, Bacteria

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here